DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Just watched A Guide To Recognising Your Saints, which I'd reccommend to pretty much anyone. It's kinda like Kids meets A Bronx Tale, but is easily a better film than both. Shia LaBeouf gains more credibility in the semi-lead role, the other lead being his older self, played by the always interesting Robert Downey Jr. It's pretty bleak and depressing, but very powerful.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

nice shout Seven, i mentioned that a few pages back, outstanding little movie which everyone should check out.

The Condemned - WWE film starring Steve Austin....basically a remake of Battle Royale, its completely stupid and over the top but it was entertaining. The kinda movie you'd find scrolling through the movie channels late at night and just leave on. Austin isn't particularly good but he looks the part.

• Moderators

I think it's probably Bill Murray's most over-rated role.And that comes from a guy who would pretty much bum Murray.

And hasn't seen Lost in Translation, presumably..?anyway, it's been discussed many a time on this board, but having now finally seen it I would just like to say that Clerks 2 sucks balls unremittingly.It had a couple funny bits, but even as a standalone film, ignoring the fact that it pisses on the legacy of a great film, it was still not even passable.I saw "School for Scoundrels" the other night. It was alright... no masterpiece, but it was pretty damn funny in places, and didn't make me cringe ashamedly for watching it like Clerks II. Sarah Silverman was fucking annoying, though.

• Paid Members

Bloodrayne - oooooooooooooooh, my first Uwe Boll movie. This fucker's sitting in bottom #100 on imdb, which is surely down to the fact that it's fashionable to bash Boll cause, this wasn't all that bad. 90 mins of silly vampire slaying action. The sets, costumes and all that shit was upmarket stuff. Gore aplenty too. It aint ever gonna win any awards but it aint nowhere near as bad as Boll haters would have you believe. Oh, gotta add...Michael Madsen puts in the most phoned-in performance ive ever seen.

Halloween ( 2007 )

Much more faithful to the original than I expected, apart from the rather long opening and the ending. They kept things relatively simple between them points. Not a bad remake, but the whole exercise seemed a bit pointless to me. Still, the kid who played a young Michael Myers was rather good, it has to be said. The older version was a bit of a beast as well. Overall, I didn't feel like turning it off like I did with The Wicker Man's remake. Not worth going out of your way to see.

• Paid Members

Just watched A Guide To Recognising Your Saints, which I'd reccommend to pretty much anyone. It's kinda like Kids meets A Bronx Tale, but is easily a better film than both. Shia LaBeouf gains more credibility in the semi-lead role, the other lead being his older self, played by the always interesting Robert Downey Jr. It's pretty bleak and depressing, but very powerful.

I watched this the other day as well and I totaly agree. It realy wasn't the type of film Id normaly watch, but it felt so 'real' that for 2 hours I almost forgot I was actualy watching a film and just got caught up in these kids lives. Very good film.I also watched Dead Mans Shoes, very powerful as well. It'll make you feel very angry at times, as well as making you realy feel for the characters. Being British theres some recognisable personalities that'll realy help you connect with the film. The ending was very well done, even if the twist was a little obvious.

Recently bought "Played" (2006) starring, Vinnie Jones, Val Kilmer, Patsy Kensit, Gabriel Byrne, Steve Jones (Of The Sex Pistols) and many other big names. Despite the film having absolutely no budget, the makers pulled together an allstar cast and a rather decent film. Great low-budget gangster film that I would recommend to any fans of Snatch/Layer Cake etc.

Edited by TapOut Tapes

• Paid Members

Pathfinder - this movie was critically panned when it was released but i dunno why i had a feeling id like it...plot? fuck the plot, its basically a bunch of Vikings coming to an island/country and going on a mass slaughter spree, yet a stray Viking from years back who got left behind fights back and helps the natives. Its totally silly on the acting front and the script is fucked but it's a 90 minute gorefest, and visually it's fantastic...i fucking loved it.