DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.I'd been umming and arring over it for ages, not sure if I'd like it or hate it.Turns out it's an absolute gem. Instead of being just a straight parody as I thought it would be, the director has taken a genuine chop socky film from the 70's, superimposed himself into it, added new scenes and redubbed the whole thing.The humour is the stoopid, Zucker brothers type approach of throwing as many gags in there as possible and hoping that some of them stick.Ideal for nights with your mates and a few beers.I also watched Barnyard, which coincidentally is by the same guy that did Kung Pow.This was not so good. There were a few giggles, but overall it was lacking in interesting characters, a worthwhile storyline or jokes. Go and watch Over The Hedge instead.

Edited by surf_digby

Silent Hill is headache-inducingly bad. Anyone who claims to understand what the hell is going on is a liar. I've played the games and it still confused the hell out of me. It's a mess.

What was there to be confused about? I saw the film having never actually played the games and quite enjoyed it, it had its faults but overall it was quite enjoyable.

Seen a few films recently. My fear of trying to form a coherent and well thought out review of each film has overtaken me therefore i shall dispense STARS as if they were candy.Chungking Express - ** 1/2 (Controversial?)2046 - **Beast Cops ***Exiled ***This Is England - **** 1/2Severance - * 1/2Hmmmm, i usually wade through the crap and try to pick out movies that have been highly regarded (Severance aside) but maybe my expectations are too high and I am expecting too much from films nowadays, and should go into movies with a more balanced and clearer approach. Does anyone else get that feeling?Shamefully i haven't seen any Kurosawa films yet and have Seven Samurai and Ran on download, i hope my self-snobbishness doesn't hamper my experience of them. Maybe i'll just watch some shit for a while instead.

Did anyone else watch Psychomania on BBC2 last night. What an odd film.The leader of a biker gang called The Living Dead finds out that if you kill yourself and have the belief that you will come back to life, you will come back to eternal life. Should of been a horror film but had random bits of Benny hill-esque slapstick comedy in it, the best bit being when they terrorised a shopping precinct on their bikes chasing after mothers in short skirts with pushchairs. One biker even manged to get an ass slap in as he drove past.Strange film but very good.

Chungking Express - ** 1/2 (Controversial?)2046 - **

Just curious, have you seen In the Mood for Love, and if so what did you think? I enjoyed 2046 but I don't think I would have if I hadn't seen ITMFL. Chungking Express I could take or leave.

Just curious, have you seen In the Mood for Love, and if so what did you think? I enjoyed 2046 but I don't think I would have if I hadn't seen ITMFL. Chungking Express I could take or leave.
I haven't, just located a torrent and am downloading it now so will definitely watch it within the week, i'm probably being too harsh on 2046 so i may watch it again after i watch ITMFL.

For those who dis The Departed, you're wrong!Recently I watched a film not out here yet called Disturbia, it was an OK film, plot outline - a guy 'breaks the law' and is put on a ankle tag, if he goes out of a certain boundry from his house the cops are there to get him back in. Whil house bound he then decides to spy on the new neighbour, a girl about his age and he gets the hots etc. etc. But the essence of the film is the judgement he makes of another neighbour, a mystrious man and who our guy thinks may be a killer. Can't really say no more so check it out if you can, worth a look.EZ

I haven't, just located a torrent and am downloading it now so will definitely watch it within the week, i'm probably being too harsh on 2046 so i may watch it again after i watch ITMFL.
In The Mood For Love is a beautiful film not to everyone's taste but if you didn't like 2046 there's a good chance you won't like it. Oh and you'll have "Yumeji's Theme" in your head for a week after you've watched it.Last film i watched was the Station Agent which was a little gem. Very funny, sad in parts but the bad thing is i don't think i can laugh at dwarf jokes anymore kind of like when i watched a documentry about people who stutter.

In The Mood For Love is a beautiful film not to everyone's taste but if you didn't like 2046 there's a good chance you won't like it. Oh and you'll have "Yumeji's Theme" in your head for a week after you've watched it.
Well the way I see it, is they're like two parts of the same film. ITMFL is what actually happened, and 2046 is like a weird, sci-fi fictional abstraction of the "real" relationship from ITMFL. I think if I just watched 2046 on its own I'd find it a bit pointless and confusing.It depends what you didn't like. If you just didn't care for the style and pace of 2046, then you probably won't go for ITMFL either. If you thought it was just the story in 2046 being a bit uninvolving and pointless, you should definitely give it a go.

Sphere8.5/10Great movie with great actors (Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L. Jackson, Sharon Stone), awesome SFX and a chilling story line to boot. The blurring of the line between dream and reality really makes for edge of seat stuff, and the movie was only let down by the ending, which seemed a bit anti climactic. Deffinetly reccomended for Sci Fi and Horror fans, and a must watch for anyone if it's on TV.

In The Mood For Love is a beautiful film not to everyone's taste but if you didn't like 2046 there's a good chance you won't like it. Oh and you'll have "Yumeji's Theme" in your head for a week after you've watched it.
Well the way I see it, is they're like two parts of the same film. ITMFL is what actually happened, and 2046 is like a weird, sci-fi fictional abstraction of the "real" relationship from ITMFL. I think if I just watched 2046 on its own I'd find it a bit pointless and confusing.It depends what you didn't like. If you just didn't care for the style and pace of 2046, then you probably won't go for ITMFL either. If you thought it was just the story in 2046 being a bit uninvolving and pointless, you should definitely give it a go.
You could be right. Have you seen Days Of Being Wild? I've not seen it but i've never heard it's anything to do with In The Mood For Love untill i just looked on Wikipedia "The movie forms the second part of an informal trilogy, together with the first part Days of Being Wild (released in 1991) and the last part 2046 (released in 2004)."

You could be right. Have you seen Days Of Being Wild? I've not seen it but i've never heard it's anything to do with In The Mood For Love untill i just looked on Wikipedia "The movie forms the second part of an informal trilogy, together with the first part Days of Being Wild (released in 1991) and the last part 2046 (released in 2004)."
I've not seen it, no. I think I might have it knocking around somewhere in a pile of DVDs that need watching. I've never heard of it being part of a trilogy either but that's piqued my interest.

I've not seen it, no. I think I might have it knocking around somewhere in a pile of DVDs that need watching. I've never heard of it being part of a trilogy either but that's piqued my interest.

Nothing about it herehttp://www.kino.com/daysofbeingwild/But at LoveHKFilm

Just caught Enduring Love on film4, A British movie based on the novel by Ian McEwan. The story is about two strangers, who wind up becoming dangerously close after witnessing a deadly balloon accident. I really wasn

Edited by Generator