DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the best film I've seen all year. Everyone in it delivers an incredible performance. It's hilarious, heartbreaking yet life-affirming, dark, witty and has a great soundtrack. It's beautifully depressing, like Sideways . I can't praise it enough.

Edited by Mr. Seven

The dialogue is horrendous and therefore the acting suffered as a result.There's a lot to like though. It looks stunning, Pyramid Head is very unsettling, the film is generally creepy, Sean Bean is always fun and the kid did a really good job.

The dialogue is horrendous and therefore the acting suffered as a result.There's a lot to like though. It looks stunning, Pyramid Head is very unsettling, the film is generally creepy, Sean Bean is always fun and the kid did a really good job.

I sat and watched the Making Of feature this evening and it never ceases to amaze me how mature these child actors are.

I want to see Little Miss Sunshine as Mr. Seven's film recommendations haven't let me down so far at all (Oldboy being the standout, and I may be able to watch Blade Runner some time this week!) and it's wrangled it's way into the Top 250 on IMDB already, is it deserved?Also, what are people's thought on IMDB and it's Top 250? Is it really reflective of what the best films are?

• Paid Members

LA ConfidentialI thought this was better than I thought it would be... had a slow start but got very interesting about half an hour into the film. I'd give this one about 7/10Jackie BrownI just couldnt get into this one for some reason.. Only began to watch it because Samuel L Jackson was in it. Couldnt begin to be interested at all.

• Paid Members

I want to see Little Miss Sunshine as Mr. Seven's film recommendations haven't let me down so far at all (Oldboy being the standout, and I may be able to watch Blade Runner some time this week!) and it's wrangled it's way into the Top 250 on IMDB already, is it deserved?Also, what are people's thought on IMDB and it's Top 250? Is it really reflective of what the best films are?

apparently so...reviews have been superb for it, the one i person i know who's seen the movie also said it was superb.

Platoon.I'm a fan of Oliver Stone and I finally got round to watching Platoon - what I was told was the definitive 'Nam movie (Apoclaypse Now isn't so much a war film as an pyschological action flick).I'll be honest, although it was really good it wasn't the classic I was expecting.Dafoe stole the film for me, I'm a huge fan of his and he fit the character of Grodin perfectly - infact the scene where he is shot by Barnes and is left running through the jungle as the helicopters fly off left goosepimples on my arms. He protrayed the harrowing nature of the war perfectly. I wasn't so convinced on Charlie Sheen (and he certainly doesn't live up to Martin in 'Now, although fair enoug they are VERY different charaters).The photography and direction is astounding, and although it is a very dark (in terms of light) flick, there is no other way to shoot it. Also the focus on the inter-factions in the Platoon is very powerfull and moving. I would not go as far as saying as its the best war film ever as a friend of mine said, but it certianly is a gripping two hours of gritty film.