DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Notes On A Scandal

This British film follows the relationship of two teachers, Barbara (Judi Dench) and Sheba (Cate Blanchett) at a school in London. When Sheba engages in an affair with a 15 year old student, Barbara sees it as an opportunity to manipulate Sheba into getting what she wants.

Judi Dench is usually the sort of actress you expect to see in comfortable roles playing friendly old woman figures, so its a shock to see her in such a powerful pyschopathic role her. She really lets the ugliness of her character, but physically and mentally, be captured by the camera. It seems to be a very brave and exciting role for her to have taken in her 60s or 70s.

The film travels at a quick pace and is exciting to watch. The cast are excellent with Bill Nighy, Cate Blanchett and the other teachers particularly impressing (the school staff scenes are very satrical and engaging). Overall this film is one of the best British releases of last year that I have seen.

First Blood

The first of the Rambo films, and the only really decent one. However, its not as good as I remember, especially the last speech which is powerful but seems somewhat silly in Stallone's put-on voice. The action is thick, fast and brutal.

The film cracks a strong argument against the way America treated some of the vets, but looses strength through the 'super-soldier' bollocks it develops as the film goes on. Instead it would have been better to have kept its feet firmly on the ground and present Stallone as just a normal soldier rather than a super-human.

Still not a bad film, and a lot less heavy than a lot of the other 'Nam films.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Turbulence - ridiculous b-movie action/thriller starring Ray Liotta. The premise of the movie is actually something that done correctly could make for an intense blockbuster, but forget that here, this is just pure nonsence from start to finish. The movie's strength i guess is that it doesn't take itself seriously at all, cap it off by a ludicrous but fun performance from Liotta and you got some 'so bad its good' gold.

The Kingdom - so much has been made of the political-theme to this movie. I mean i'll admit it's pretty relevant in today's world but bollocks to it, this is a great action film as well. Basically a couple of suicide bombers set off some of their shit which kill a couple of FBI agents as well as a gob load of civilians, so a crack FBI terrorist team are sent to find the culprits. Find them they do and what results is one of the best shoot outs in a movie you'll ever see (the movie's produced by Michael Mann and it's got his stamp all over it.)...great action with a powerful message. Another winner from Peter Berg, who's fast becoming one of my favorite directors.

• Paid Members

Mr. Brooks - strange thriller starring Kevin Costner, i couldn't really get into the movie...Costner's character was pretty interesting with the 'hearing things' thing going on, but it didnt really grip me at all, and Demi Moore just stunk it up, there was a shit little subplot going on which didn't come off at all. It's a strange movie, not the stright up thriller i was expecting.

• Paid Members

I'll concede that. He desperately needs another JFK or something.

I still aint seen JFK :( i've always liked Costner, but i've missed out on all the roles that are considered his best (JFK, Open Range, A Perfect World amongst a few others), i got some catching up to do. Edited by Ebb

I saw the Halloween Remake last week. It has almost no point, it's just gormless violence for the sake of gormless violence but still very enjoyable. It seems within the first 25 minutes it will be some psychological thriller, however there's thrown out the window for random killings. It's hard to think of positive things to single out about it, apart from the fact I enjoyed it. If it had a slightly shorter final battle it would be an awesome movie(in a B-movie sense!)

• Paid Members

Wesley Snipes used to be awesome!

so true, there's a whole batch of cracking little actioners (& a few comedies) with Wesley Snipes, but has career has just hit rock bottom, his new movies are shocking.what happened Wesley?

First BloodThe first of the Rambo films, and the only really decent one. However, its not as good as I remember, especially the last speech which is powerful but seems somewhat silly in Stallone's put-on voice. The action is thick, fast and brutal. The film cracks a strong argument against the way America treated some of the vets, but looses strength through the 'super-soldier' bollocks it develops as the film goes on. Instead it would have been better to have kept its feet firmly on the ground and present Stallone as just a normal soldier rather than a super-human.Still not a bad film, and a lot less heavy than a lot of the other 'Nam films.

The biggest mistake with that film was the decision to change the ending, I suppose killing him would have scuppered the moneyspinning sequels.......

Wesley Snipes used to be awesome!

so true, there's a whole batch of cracking little actioners (& a few comedies) with Wesley Snipes, but has career has just hit rock bottom, his new movies are shocking.what happened Wesley?
Agreed on Snipes. From Blade to White Men Can't Jump and my personal fave, Demolition Man.'What's your boggle?' Edited by rubbafish