DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Lucky Number Slevin - just rented it, bit of a badboy here...its one of them films kinda reveals itself and makes sense as it goes along, good shit though. The witty dialogue is what carries it though, Josh Hartnett excelling in particular. Definatly recommend this if you're a fan of movies like Pulp Fiction or The Usual Suspects.

Death Tunnel"5 girls.......5 floors.......5 hours........"The above quote is solely for the pleasure of those misfortunate enough to have seen this drivel. Avoid like the plague.

Right, thats off my rental list.Cheers for the tip off. :thumbsup:

Kill Bill Vol. 2

In the conclusion to Quentin Tarantino's revenge epic, The Bride (Uma Thurman) continues to seek vengeance on a group of assassins and their boss, Bill.

The most significant difference between this film and Vol. 1 is that of tone. The first installment of Kill Bill featured an abundance of violence, quips and homages. Vol. 2 is a considerably different experience because its of a slower pace and only has a couple of fight scenes as the emphasis is mainly on the characters themselves. Its definite strenghts lay in the sharp dialogue, strong performances and brilliant direction.

Many of Tarrantino's trademarks are still evident, especially in terms of narrative structure, obviously. I particularly liked the fact that a great degree of the back story is explored, which created better character development than Kill Bill Vol. 1, as well as the jumps in the more immediate events. Additionally, there's some foot fetish-related content, as per usual from Tarrantino.

I think Kill Bill Vol. 2 is more consistently entertaining than its predecessor because Vol. 1 drags somewhat in the middle. This film is also more emotional in some respects and, in my opinion, has much more substance to it. However, I'm still inclined to say the first one was better because it leaves a greater impression, mainly due to the violence and number of memorable scenes.

Nonetheless, it's a major thumbs up for Kill Bill Vol. 2. :thumbsup:

Edited by Van_Dammer

An Evening with Kevin SmithFantastic DVD where Kevin tours colleges in America answering questions regarding his movies and also telling a few stories about his life and people he works with and has worked with in the past. Really funny, I highly recommend it to any fan of Kevin Smiths movies, you will love it.

Lucky Number Slevin - just rented it, bit of a badboy here...its one of them films kinda reveals itself and makes sense as it goes along, good shit though. The witty dialogue is what carries it though, Josh Hartnett excelling in particular. Definatly recommend this if you're a fan of movies like Pulp Fiction or The Usual Suspects.

I loved that film, Morgan Freeman as a mob leader, Bruce Willis as a hitman, whats not to like.

Murderball

A documentary about wheelchair rugby, focusing on members of the USA and Canada teams. Everyone should see this. It's funny, depressing, touching, eye-opening and heartwarming all at once. Just incredible viewing.

An Evening with Kevin SmithFantastic DVD where Kevin tours colleges in America answering questions regarding his movies and also telling a few stories about his life and people he works with and has worked with in the past. Really funny, I highly recommend it to any fan of Kevin Smiths movies, you will love it.

I have that on DVD too, the 'I eat cock' speechbubble was quite amusing as was Smith totally owning the lesbian girl. It's a good way to kill a few hours.

• Paid Members

I finally saw Wedding Crashers last night. I enjoyed it a lot. The early sequence with the numerous wedding 'crashes' is pretty tedious, but after that, it's very good. it's witty and well acted. It moves quickly and doesn't feel like 2 hours. It has a good mix of clever lines, cheeseball lines and wierd as fuck lines. The leading actress are gorgeous, which always helps. Most films like this descend into mush towards the end, but manages to just about steer clear, while still having the happy ending that everyone loves.

Good Film, 8/10.

MurderballA documentary about wheelchair rugby, focusing on members of the USA and Canada teams. Everyone should see this. It's funny, depressing, touching, eye-opening and heartwarming all at once. Just incredible viewing.

I saw this in the cinema, I thoroughly recommend it too! Edited by shinyahashimoto

MurderballA documentary about wheelchair rugby, focusing on members of the USA and Canada teams. Everyone should see this. It's funny, depressing, touching, eye-opening and heartwarming all at once. Just incredible viewing.

I remember when they released this on DVD,BBC Four had it on like two days afterward. So i watched it then :) Brilliant film,definetly heartwarming.

Hard Candy

After all that I've heard about this film, I was definitely looking forward to watching it. It's about a young girl who meets up with an older man over the internet. When she is invited into his house, she attempts to expose that he's a paedophile.

Due to the subject matter and general nature of Hardy Candy, it obviously isn't for everyone. After watching a lot of World cinema, though, and being open-minded anyway, I welcome controversial and disturbing movies. However, personally, I wouldn't say that Hard Candy is that bad. It leaves an impression, but it's not exactly overly distrurbing. There's not an excessive amount of gore or violence because it, primarily, functions on a psychological level.

Hard Candy is quite suspenseful and tense in some places. Elements such as the performances, dialogue and gradual unfolding of the characters' back stories are all pretty good and effective, too.

Additionally, I think the camera work and overall direction is excellent; the focus is mainly on the characters' expressions. Technically, some aspects of this film are remiscent of 28 Days Later and it actually reminded me of several Japanese movies, in terms of both the cinematography and use of music/sound. Also, in regards to the story, I'm assuming that Takashi Miike's Audition had a slight influence on Hard Candy...

This film is not without its flaws, though. You could easily criticize it in a few different respects, but it's entertaining, very well-made and pretty original. Hollywood is flooded with crappy formualic rom-coms and remakes that don't even need to be made. Although we need movies of all genres (comedy, family, etc.), I'd gladly welcome an influx of edgey films like Hard Candy.

So, in short, I liked it.

Edited by Van_Dammer