The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Is it true that the WWF once planned to put the Intercontinental Title on Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake?

He was scheduled to win it at SummerSlam '90. But then he had the accident that shattered his face a few weeks before the PPV.
Thank you. If that had happened, I wonder whether the late, great Texas Tornado would have ever won the I-C Title.

Has it ever been explained on air why Coach is no longer part of the commentary team?

No it hasn't been discussed on air but there that story on WWE.COM that they will probably follow up onLink: http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/whereiscoach (just incase anyone hadn't seen it!)
Thanks for that, I can't stand him doing commentary. But I think he would be a good heel manager if they do something like that with him.

I've just got a random WCW comp tape which as well as having the 2 British Vader/Sting title changes on it, has a match from a stadium show from much earlier, a Bunkhouse Brawl match with the MVC vs Eddie Gilbert and Dick Slater- does anyone know which card that was from?

No point in starting a new thread just for this....Who is Burchill's buxom wench???

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it is Shelly Martinez from OVW (Although I didn't see the Velocity on which she appeared so I'm not completely sure!)Her OWW profile: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/s/shelly.htmlOr OVW Profile: Go to OVWrestling.com then superstars then Shelly...I'm liking those pics! :love:

How come WCW, even at its peak, never had their PPVs aired over here? Was there any serious talk, at any stage, of them showing the PPVs over here?

Not sure, though it should be pointed out that German sports channel DSF showed ppvs and Clashes (albeit on a 2-4 week delay) from Clash 24 onwards, so 1993. This lasted until 1997 when the events transferred onto their digital service, which was, unhapily, not available in this country (to my knowledge). The odd event still was shown on the Astra analogue service (Bash at the Beach 98 for instance), but this served mostly to promote the digital service. Of course the commentary was in German, though I do recall on one event that one of the commentators (an American guy) did give a quick kinda thank you message in English to UK fans. As for the original question, you have to remember that WCW was shown on a movie channel (TNT which became TCM), and was already devoting 5 hours a week of peak time to wrestling. Putting on ppvs, even on a delay, would probably have been too much for them (even though WCW was doing good ratings). As well, pay-per-view was still quite a distance away from catching on during WCW's peak (say 96 to 98), with the first wrestling show we actually had to shell out extra for being WWF's One Night Only in late 97. There was nothing like Setanta or anything like that, with really only Sky being pay-per-view providers at that point. They had no interest in wanting to promote WCW over one of their more successful brands, so really there wasn't anyway which could show WCW events, even if they'd wanted to. It should be pointed out that the majority of events were available on VHS quite quickly after they happened, though only by mail order. I'm not quite sure why (outside of two events IIRC - Spring Stampede 99 and Slamboree 99) they were never available in the shops, though that certainly wouldn't be the only questionable decision made during WCW's existance...

I've just got a random WCW comp tape which as well as having the 2 British Vader/Sting title changes on it, has a match from a stadium show from much earlier, a Bunkhouse Brawl match with the MVC vs Eddie Gilbert and Dick Slater- does anyone know which card that was from?

Are you sure it was Williams & Gordy against Gilbert and Slater? Sounds a very bizarre match. Bare in mind that Williams and Gordy were enemies in 89, which was the last time Gilbert worked for WCW. When Williams & Gordy teamed in WCW in 92 Slater was certainly there but Gilbert definetly wasn't. Of course, this might not have even been a WCW show - the fact that you call it a "stadium show" somewhat confuses things as well - not quite sure whether you mean an outdoor show, a house show or just in a very big arena. It could perhaps have been something like the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance or something, but I'm not that sure...EDIT: Didn't expect these seperate replies to go into one, but there you go... Edited by The Mighty LC

Are you sure it was Williams & Gordy against Gilbert and Slater? Sounds a very bizarre match. Bare in mind that Williams and Gordy were enemies in 89, which was the last time Gilbert worked for WCW. When Williams & Gordy teamed in WCW in 92 Slater was certainly there but Gilbert definetly wasn't. Of course, this might not have even been a WCW show - the fact that you call it a "stadium show" somewhat confuses things as well - not quite sure whether you mean an outdoor show, a house show or just in a very big arena. It could perhaps have been something like the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance or something, but I'm not that sure...

Apologies! It was MVC against Dick Murdoch and Eddie Gilbert, it was an NWA show, in a Baseball Stadium, in a Bunkhouse Brawl match- Williams gets the pin on Gilbert I think, hitting him with a shoe....

Are you sure it was Williams & Gordy against Gilbert and Slater? Sounds a very bizarre match. Bare in mind that Williams and Gordy were enemies in 89, which was the last time Gilbert worked for WCW. When Williams & Gordy teamed in WCW in 92 Slater was certainly there but Gilbert definetly wasn't. Of course, this might not have even been a WCW show - the fact that you call it a "stadium show" somewhat confuses things as well - not quite sure whether you mean an outdoor show, a house show or just in a very big arena. It could perhaps have been something like the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance or something, but I'm not that sure...

Apologies! It was MVC against Dick Murdoch and Eddie Gilbert, it was an NWA show, in a Baseball Stadium, in a Bunkhouse Brawl match- Williams gets the pin on Gilbert I think, hitting him with a shoe....
That makes a little more sense, though I still wouldn't be able to put a specific time on it. I'd still guess 89, perhaps earlier in the year when Williams was a heel in The Varsity Club. Alternatively, it could possibly have been just after the NWA had bought UWF, because all 4 definetly worked for Bill Watts around the time of the sale (late 87). But still, Williams and Gordy were on different sides of the fence so it's still hard to know.Incidently, this sounds like a great tape! Where did you get it from...?

That makes a little more sense, though I still wouldn't be able to put a specific time on it. I'd still guess 89, perhaps earlier in the year when Williams was a heel in The Varsity Club. Alternatively, it could possibly have been just after the NWA had bought UWF, because all 4 definetly worked for Bill Watts around the time of the sale (late 87). But still, Williams and Gordy were on different sides of the fence so it's still hard to know.Incidently, this sounds like a great tape! Where did you get it from...?

I brought it off some random guy after doing an ebay transaction, so far it's hadVader/Sting from the UK tourWilliams/Gordy vs Murdoch/GilbertRock 'n Roll Express v Fantastics/Cornette (partial)Bulldog v Vader from the week before Beach Blast 93Vader/Sting from UK tourand I haven't finished watching it yet. PM if you like and I'll sned you a copy when I'm finished with it!cheersJames

No point in starting a new thread just for this....Who is Burchill's buxom wench???

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it is Shelly Martinez from OVW (Although I didn't see the Velocity on which she appeared so I'm not completely sure!)Her OWW profile: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/s/shelly.htmlOr OVW Profile: Go to OVWrestling.com then superstars then Shelly...I'm liking those pics! :love:
Yup. It's Shelly Martinez. Check out my sig, she's the one on the right.