The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Without wanting to sound like sabumark I'm actually quite intrigued by one of his questions.When Beyond the Mat was released was it straight to DVD or was it given a theatrical release first?And if so how was it received critically and commercially? Ditto for Wrestling with Shadows.

Wrestling With Shadows...well, I know that it was shown at the Sheffield Film Festival, which may or may not have been its premiere.Beyond The Mat I know a little more about, at least in this country. It got a small theatrical release, playing at the more, erm, arty theatres (I saw it at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle). It also got a pretty major VHS release (I got it from Asda, for gawdsakes).I seem to remember in both cases that each film was received very well, both in wrestling and non-wrestling circles. And, remember, the first time WwS was seen over here was on BBC2 of all places...

Beyond The Mat I know a little more about, at least in this country. It got a small theatrical release, playing at the more, erm, arty theatres (I saw it at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle).

I say Beyond The Mat at Phoenix Arts in leicester. There were about 15 people.I remember it vividly as the night that Nick was shown being rumbled in Big Brother 1.

I think the grand total of UK cinemas to show Beyond The Mat was around 6.It was June 2000 and I went to the one in Trafford Centre at Manchester which was the closest to me.Like Freaky's experience in Leicester, there were about 20 people in the whole place.

• Paid Members

Beyond the Mat did get a theatrical release in the US. It was very small scale (298 screens at its peak) and grossed about $1.5 million, which is tiny for US cinemas. That said, the reported production budget was $500,000, so it was a pretty healthy profit margin.

• Paid Members

I think the grand total of UK cinemas to show Beyond The Mat was around 6.It was June 2000 and I went to the one in Trafford Centre at Manchester which was the closest to me.Like Freaky's experience in Leicester, there were about 20 people in the whole place.

I remember reading that it was only on Showcase Cinemas here (Scotland). No other cinema-chain carried it. Edited by bAzTNM

I remember reading that it was only on Showcase Cinemas here (Scotland). No other cinema-chain carried it.
Yeah, it was on at the one out Coatbridge way. Including my girlfriend and me, there were 13 in the cinema for that showing. And no fucker recognised me on the way out, despite having retained the beard and haircut specifically in that hope. :(

I remember reading that it was only on Showcase Cinemas here (Scotland). No other cinema-chain carried it.
Yeah, it was on at the one out Coatbridge way. Including my girlfriend and me, there were 13 in the cinema for that showing. And no fucker recognised me on the way out, despite having retained the beard and haircut specifically in that hope. :(
Lol I went to see it at the Baillieston one the day after I got back from my holiday on Spain and went on my tod, just missed the late afternoon showing so had to hang loose for the evening showing, by time that finished was stranded there as the buses stop ridiculously early. Hence it was a taxi home for me that evening. Edited by Ant

i read somewhere that Ric Flair once faced Bruiser Brody. When was this ? i don't recall Brody in the N.W.A

• Paid Members

i read somewhere that Ric Flair once faced Bruiser Brody. When was this ? i don't recall Brody in the N.W.A

Probably wrong, but I remember somebody posting on the WrestlingClassics board saying that they did infact wrestle each other. Brody was under the name of "King Kong" Brody, and they fought in St. Louis. I remember them saying it went 40+ mins too.

I don't think Brody ever worked for JCP or Georgia (the two most visible NWA offices in the '80s), but he did work for other NWA territories. Long-time NWA President Sam Muchnick (the St. Louis promoter) was apparently a big fan of his work.