The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

How long has Mike Chioda been with WWE?

I believe he referee's at Survivor Series 1993. I don't remember seeing him before 1993 that's for sure (at least not on PPV) so I would say 1993 was when he started so 12/13 years. Edited by HBAndy

I believe he referee's at Survivor Series 1993. I don't remember seeing him before 1993 that's for sure (at least not on PPV) so I would say 1993 was when he started so 12/13 years.
I'm sure I've seen tapes of him there earlier than that (1989 maybe?)

Could anyone give me a (brief) outline on Japenese wrestling? I mean in terms of, does NJPW run weekly shows? Same goes for NOAH? Do they run PPV's? and how often?

Major league pro wrestling in Japan follows the tour format, which means a string of (say) a dozen shows spread around the country across the space of about three weeks. Certain shows (in bigger buildings) are taped for TV and air on the promotion's weekly TV spot with whatever network.The workers then get a couple of weeks off before the next tour. This helps give them time to rehab injuries and means that the wrestlers get a chance to go home and spend time with families and the like. More often than not, tours will build towards a "Tour Climax" at a big arena which usually features title matches and grudge match culminations.NJPW do run live PPVs at various points throughout the year, but they're not annual "named" events like WWE PPVs are.Other smaller promotions do "spot" shows, but the major promotions all follow the tour system.

I believe he referee's at Survivor Series 1993. I don't remember seeing him before 1993 that's for sure (at least not on PPV) so I would say 1993 was when he started so 12/13 years.
The earliest I remember seeing him, mullet and all, was Summerslam 90...

• Paid Members

When there was a big bru-ha-ha a ton of refs would come from the back (oo-er) to break it up. In 1990 I believe Chioda was one of them.I even think Shane McMahon was there too. Edited by bAzTNM

When there was a big bru-ha-ha a ton of refs would come from the back (oo-er) to break it up. In 1990 I believe Chioda was one of them.I even think Shane McMahon was there too.
Yeah, Shane O Crap dancer would have been there. He refereed the first match at WM6, for instance...

1.) Does anyone recall if The Legion of Doom had any matches with Rhythm & Blues? I can't recall any, but thought I'd ask.2.) Not strictly wrestling-related, but does anyone know the exact reasons why Ultimate Warrior's comic book ended? I've heard two stories. One story is that they just weren't selling (which I can believe). The other story is that Warrior had a falling out with the people he was working with (which I can also believe).3.) The Best Of Kerry Von Erich was a USWA tape released in the early 90s, which I bought but ended up losing (how stupid of me). Apart from Ebay, are there any companies that can do searches for deleted video tapes (I'd prefer the original VHS, not a DVD copy or anything like that).4.) Remember the Survivor Series Finale match at the 1990 Survivor Series? Why was that Grand Survivors finale concept never used again?Thank you.

Edited by King Cobra

• Paid Members

4.) Remember the Survivor Series Finale match at the 1990 Survivor Series? Why was that Grand Survivors finale concept never used again?Thank you.

Quite simply, because it sucked, i think. Although i reckon if Survivor Series was to actually feature more than a couple of survivor matches at Survivor Series the concept could work real niftyily today, being a great way to plant seeds for fueds/matches leading to Wrestlemania. Edited by purplemonkeydishwasher

Can someone give me a detailed background of IPW:UK & MPW, like the champions, their next shows, a little bit about their history, the top stars in the promotion(s) and their next show? Thanks in advance.

Edited by GIB

2.) Not strictly wrestling-related, but does anyone know the exact reasons why Ultimate Warrior's comic book ended?

Although it was initally successful, the sales figures fell. Wikipedia.com details the reasons as to why the publication failed;

As a comic book, fans argued that WARRIOR was a failure; it had no actual storyline, virtually no characters other than Warrior, no action, and considerably more text than the average comic (in the first issue, at least one entire page is made up of a text box, with a small picture of Warrior in the corner). Seeing as how successful comics have relied on interesting characters, storylines, and action, this seemed to many to be a formula for failure.In addition, the storyline (some fans argued there wasn't one) was difficult to follow, as some issues consisted of nothing but pages of WARRIOR walking around and going through physical transformations, with the plot driven by his internal monologue. The dialogue and internal monologues in WARRIOR are written heavily in jargon, Old English, run on sentences, sentence fragments, and extremely long sentences (some contain upwards of fifty words). Some English majors, writers, journalists, and others who read the comics took note of the use of "..." in place of most periods, indicating that some of the comics are in fact made up of one gigantic sentence with several pauses spread throughout. Several of the words which play key plot points are in fact made up by Warrior for the purpose of the comic, and every time one of these made up words is used, the action ceases and pages are dedicated to explaining the meanings of these words. The overall plot and internal monologues, when deciphered, are two fold: First, the comics act as indoctrination material for Warrior's personal belief system. Secondly, on the fictional level, the comics concern the real Warrior's (ie, Jim Hellwig) attempts to transcend his physical being and become a god; the story appears to take place within the mind of Warrior as he lays in some kind of comatose state. As the books progress, Warrior expounds on the inner trappings of his personal philosophy and religious beliefs, as he meets his father (who is depicted as a being that is either meant to be God or Jesus Christ), and in one segment seemingly unrelated to the main story, saves a suicidal young woman by appearing to her as an apparition and sucking toxins from her bloodstream after she has overdosed. The final outcome of the story, and the ultimate revelation about Warrior's message and philosophy, remained unrevealed, since the comic failed.In the initial months of publication, all of these things served to help the comic's sales: Fans considered them to be a novelty, or kitsch. Several people who had their comics autographed by Warrior at one of many book signings Warrior held in the midwest only wanted his autograph to add to the camp appeal of what they held to be an extremely ridiculous comic.The comic's most enduring issue, and the one which has received the most ridicule and is now worth the most money, is one of the final issues, which breaks away from the main storyline into a Christmas tale. The plot of the comic is hard to decipher, as it contains no dialogue, monologue, or text boxes. Inexplicably, Warrior attacks the North Pole, usurps Santa Claus's authority over the elves, and in the final frame, which gained the comic its enduring popularity, a sweaty Warrior forces Santa into bondage gear and poses beside him. The apparent sexual undertones, lack of an actual plot, and non-sequiter nature (nothing from the previous issue served to segue into the Santa attack issue) gained the comic cult popularity, especially on the internet. Though nothing sexually explicit is depicted in the comic, some fans have come to describe it as the "santa rape" issue; more commonly, it is referred to as "the one where Warrior puts Santa in bondage."Excerpt:Destiny is: [1.] one's own inevitable, inescapable fate. [2.] A predetermined course of events. [3.] The power or agency thought to predetermine events. Who and what is

Edited by Van_Dammer