FWA Sign TV Deal with TWC

PC316

Where can I buy tapes of all these great non-FWA British promotions' shows, and are they of good enough quality to be aired on national broadcast tv?Actually, I'm still waiting to find out the names of all these great British promotions that people seem desperate to have aired on TWC.Any help would be appreciated. ;)

Argggh. You're missing the point. FWA could be the ONLY wrestling promotion in the country, and the five-year exclusivity/or equal production values contract would still be complete and utter bullshit.And read the thread for the promotions that people have talked about. Take note of the Kenny McBride posts (he works for FWA by the way)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argggh. You're missing the point. FWA could be the ONLY wrestling promotion in the country, and the five-year exclusivity/or equal production values contract would still be complete and utter bullshit.And read the thread for the promotions that people have talked about. Take note of the Kenny McBride posts (he works for FWA by the way)

We know very little about this five year deal and all it entails anyway. The thing about 'their production values' is their BS, in the same way WWE talks up their programming. It means nothing. FWA looks crap next to TNA. Even if the 5 year deal wasn't exclusive, FWA would still be the only British promotion on the channel, as there are no other promotions ready to supply weekly tv. Edited by ClassicsGuy

Like I said anyway, my problem is with TWC's shortsightedness, not with the FWA's attempts to strengthen their position as the most thoroughly branded company in the country.  Ultimately, that's the only way they're going to get the quantum leap if growth that they've been looking for all this time.

Is this what you're referrring to Bobbins?Maybe if you read my posts earlier in the thread, you'd see that I agreed with this viewpoint earlier. Short-sightedness in signing a 5 year deal.The exclusivity part is TWC's decision. It's their channel, they agreed to it, whether or not FWA pushed for it.If TWC had said 'no', what would FWA have done? Gone to a rival broadcaster? I don't think so.They're showing a variety of diferent promotions featuring different styles. Maybe it was a creative decision not to have more than one UK promotion. Edited by ClassicsGuy

Pick makes the main point. What happens when another company is ready?

There's a whole lot of other promotions that aren't being shown on TWC that are bound to meet whatever production standards they impose (Toryumon, MPro, OPro, Zero-One, I suppose EMLL, plus whatever the other popular US indies du jour are).If TWC can be run profitably, they could negotiate to start a second channel featuring some of that lot and whatever British feds they feel are ready at that time. Digital TV channels are ten a penny these days, and while I don't work in the field, I can't imagine that it costs twice as much to run two channels as it does one, so it ought to be a fairly safe proposition.But if they can't run one channel profitably, then I don't think throwing more British feds at the problem would help. :/

I dont think this is a bad thing for British Wrestling, one company on TV is better than none at all. I think the irony is that FWA are probably paying for the luxury of regular TV exposure when there are very few other companies in the UK that would want it anyway, and certainly a small amount that have the means to do it. If the channel is a success then other stations will want to cover wrestling which would leave the doors open for other feds to get on TV. If it is a failure then the only losers are FWA who are undoubtably going to have to improve greatly in terms of overall quality of wrestling through the card, organisation of events and production values to hold their own against ROH and CZW, let alone WWE. They're also going to have to put on a lot more events a year than they have in the past and you have to question whether this is likely when after a 5 month break they still can't get tickets on sale for a reasonable period prior to a show. In addition if the behind the scenes footage and interviews are of the quality of the Jack Xavier one currently on line, who sounds like he couldn't be less interested in whether 'Musclebound Shane' has booked him for New Frontiers or not, then people will be turning off in their droves.The irony is that more people are watching Premier's exposure on Johnny Vaughan's programme on Friday nights than will ever tune into TWC.

Edited by alex shane's selling ability

TWC are responsble for agreeing to FWA's demands, so obviously they're partly to blame for the situation.

By partly to blame, I hope you mean 50-50 to blame.
Yeah sure, I can imagine the meeting now.Herbie: I'd like FWA to be on TWCAlex: Yes please. That'd be a great opportunity for exposure.Herbie: But there's one problem. What if other British promotions want to get on the channel? I just don't have the ability to say no to anyone, no matter how crappy their product is.Alex: ErmHerbie: So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that you sign a five-year exclusivity deal, or we just wont show any Brit-wres at all.Alex: Fine by me.*rolls eyes*

They don't have any moral obligation to raise British wrestling from the ashes, but is it to much to ask for them to not shovel more ashes on top?

So, we've gone from having NO British wrestling on tv for 16 years, to having ONE British promotion on tv, and this will sound the death knell for British wrestling? :rolleyes:
Because this is a much bigger deal than UCW on L!VE TV.*rolls eyes again*

TWC are responsble for agreeing to FWA's demands, so obviously they're partly to blame for the situation.

By partly to blame, I hope you mean 50-50 to blame.
Yeah sure, I can imagine the meeting now.Herbie: I'd like FWA to be on TWCAlex: Yes please. That'd be a great opportunity for exposure.Herbie: But there's one problem. What if other British promotions want to get on the channel? I just don't have the ability to say no to anyone, no matter how crappy their product is.Alex: ErmHerbie: So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist that you sign a five-year exclusivity deal, or we just wont show any Brit-wres at all.Alex: Fine by me.*rolls eyes*

They don't have any moral obligation to raise British wrestling from the ashes, but is it to much to ask for them to not shovel more ashes on top?

So, we've gone from having NO British wrestling on tv for 16 years, to having ONE British promotion on tv, and this will sound the death knell for British wrestling? :rolleyes:
Because this is a much bigger deal than UCW on L!VE TV.*rolls eyes again*
:sleeping: TWC HOLD ALL THE CARDS.FWA pushed for exclusivity, TWC agreed to it.50-50 blame. :rolleyes:

Oh, and wrestling has a FAR LARGER AUDIENCE than 'extreme sports'.

Evidence please.
From BARB.co.ukWWE RAW - 4th most watched show on Sky Sports 1 (week ending 29/02/04) with 270,000 viewers. Figures vary weekly, from lows as 170,000 and highs as 500,000.Extreme Sports channel - No data available. Videos and DVDS in the shops? WWE has tons of them.Extreme Sports? Erm..... Edited by ClassicsGuy

Guest OutcastVideo

Evidence please.
From BARB.co.ukWWE RAW - 4th most watched show on Sky Sports 1 (week ending 29/02/04) with 270,000 viewers.Extreme Sports channel - No data available. Videos and DVDS in the shops? WWE has tons of them.Extreme Sports? Erm.....
Fair enough.Goals on Sunday - 8th. Damm you Kamara *shakes fist*

"(eg, Screens, Ramps and all the rest of that shite)"If you weren't trying to make a decent point, you'd have been right in calling it all shite. In Noah and AJPW the wrestlers often come out of a side door. In American Indies it's a wee black curtain. Why the hell should UK promotions shell out for a ramp and stupid 10 foot high letters either side of the stage? As for screens...why? You don't get a screen at WWE shows in Glasgow...you don't even get a ramp and raised stage. The other problem is pyro, no doubt we're all supposed to have that now aswell. A lot of Scottish venues won't allow you to have fire or pyro, or they charge around

Although to be fair, Extreme Sports does have a loyal following, but the thing is, kids can watch Extreme Sports and very easily get into it and copy it.As can wrestling fans with wrestling. But it is easier to buy a skateboard and a pair of roller blades than it is to find a wrestling school or set up your own back yard fed. Wrestling has more of an audience, in that people will pay to watch. Extreme Sports doesn't really have the same track record on that score.

Evidence please.
From BARB.co.ukWWE RAW - 4th most watched show on Sky Sports 1 (week ending 29/02/04) with 270,000 viewers. Figures vary weekly, from lows as 170,000 and highs as 500,000.Extreme Sports channel - No data available. Videos and DVDS in the shops? WWE has tons of them.Extreme Sports? Erm.....
Hmm, lets see, do a search on skateboarding videos, anything under cky, the gravity games series.There are more extreme sports videos out there than there are WWF, its just they arent all as big a seller.And my case for the Extreme sports channel surviving is that there is no other channel that covers any factor of sport. TWC's biggest opponent is the WWE shows put out on sky sports and sky one. Its a losing battle from the start, and having only one company represent british wrestling aint gonna help much.

Guest Mikey Boy 1981

Well, Im sorry, but other UK Feds have a very small card, like FWC. FWA have done well here, they are the leading UK promotion and the only ones who pulled their finger out while the rest couldn't be arsed! FWA will put British Wrestling back on the map, and it will hopefully grow, this might not bury the other feds, but they may just merge to form a bigger Fed to go against FWA, and we may just have a "Monday Night War" situation in the UK!Flame me all you want, I don't care, I'm expressing an opinion, so any counter arguments with the likes of "Fuck off bitch" will be laughed at while Im having a piss.Mikey ;)