FWA Sign TV Deal with TWC

PC316

• Paid Members

I wonder how many of the FWA bashers in this thread are fans/supporters of the WWE? You know, the company that pulled out every trick in the book to destroy countless promotions that actually made money and provided a living to hundreds upon hundreds of professional wrestlers.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest overbooked

FWA have clearly been planning these deals for months. They have put in all this time, money and effort. What have the other promotions been doing?

Putting on wrestling shows?

Yeah, and a fat lot of good that's done them and will do them in the long run. They didn't look at the big picture. They should have been focusing all their efforts on getting a tv deal like FWA.
So, rather than put on shows every promoter should sit at home planning world dominance. Yeah, that would be great for British wrestling.

In a well publicised move, they shut down their business to 'refocus and prepare for 2004'.

And they did such a good job of refocusing and preparing that we're two weeks out from their big comeback show, and we still haven't got a card booked or tickets on sale.

So? That will mean nothing in the long run. They have a tv deal. That means everything. They can easily sort out a little ticketing and card problem.
And as the 'face' of British wrestling with an exclusive TV deal, what a great advert for British wrestling that is. 'British wrestling is great! In six months they cannot organise a card or get tickets for a show on sale!'

What a terrible waste it would be if TWC wasn't used to try and improve the state of the wrestling business in the UK.

Why? TWC is in the business of getting viewers. Nothing more. Far more people rave about NOAH, ROH, MLW, TNA, and even FWA, than they do about UK promotions that have the occasional good show, but are a million miles away from being organised enough to produce weekly tv.I think a lot of people have a rather different idea of what this TWC is supposed to be about.
Growth in interest in British wrestling will lead to a growth of interest in TWC and vice versa. Even without any moral arguments it makes sense from a business perspective to support ALL British wrestling as much as possible, rather than just push a product that in-ring looks rather like the countless US indies on TWC, and from a production standpoint looks like a bargain-basement WWE.

It's quite laughable that people actually think FWA are a big UK promotion when in fact most wrestling fans in Britain have probably never heard of them. Just because FWA are the darlings of the internet doesn't mean they are a major force in UK wrestling. Hopefully other feds are given the opportunity to have shows broadcast on TWC as 1 South Easterly based company won't do shit to reinvigorate British wrestling.

Guest Dave Pick

I wonder how many of the FWA bashers in this thread are fans/supporters of the WWE? You know, the company that pulled out every trick in the book to destroy countless promotions that actually made money and provided a living to hundreds upon hundreds of professional wrestlers.

The difference is Mo, like Fadda says, FWA a big fish in a tiny pond. And hell, not even that big by recent standards. WZW drew 1000 in Carlisle, which matches the two British Uprising crowds. All Star drew a thousand in January. Also, just about every promotion in the UK has promoted a show this year. GPW, WZW, BCW, SCW, NAPW, All Star - they're all regularly putting on shows. FWA's last show was British Uprising 2 I believe? 5 months ago!I like FWA's product but this move, I'm not sure on. I just think it's a little bit of a double standard also. Feds like CZW, 3PW, ROH and the other smaller feds don't have the production values of FWA, but they're still on the channel, whilst other feds with similar values to those ones, aren't allowed on.Eh, it's done now, contract signed, whaddya gonna do?

It's quite laughable that people actually think FWA are a big UK promotion when in fact most wrestling fans in Britain have probably never heard of them. Just because FWA are the darlings of the internet doesn't mean they are a major force in UK wrestling. Hopefully other feds are given the opportunity to have shows broadcast on TWC as 1 South Easterly based company won't do shit to reinvigorate British wrestling.

gotta agree here people dont know who FWA are apart from people who are really into their wrestling. half of which then wont have acess to the wretsling channel half of which then wont watch it becasue they prefer some of the other brands on the show.. ( you cant watch it all the time....)

• Paid Members

The difference is Mo, like Fadda says, FWA a big fish in a tiny pond. And hell, not even that big by recent standards. WZW drew 1000 in Carlisle, which matches the two British Uprising crowds. All Star drew a thousand in January. Also, just about every promotion in the UK has promoted a show this year. GPW, WZW, BCW, SCW, NAPW, All Star - they're all regularly putting on shows. FWA's last show was British Uprising 2 I believe? 5 months ago!I like FWA's product but this move, I'm not sure on. I just think it's a little bit of a double standard also. Feds like CZW, 3PW, ROH and the other smaller feds don't have the production values of FWA, but they're still on the channel, whilst other feds with similar values to those ones, aren't allowed on.Eh, it's done now, contract signed, whaddya gonna do?
So you don't think it's hypocritical when a WWE fan criticises the FWA for trying to protect its position?Whether you do or not, your previous post seems to imply that you agree on the point that British wrestling needs to work together in order for the industry to progress. There's one word that sufficiently explains why that would NEVER happen. It's a word you're quite familiar with, actually. Ego. :)

Guest overbooked

So you don't think it's hypocritical when a WWE fan criticises the FWA for trying to protect its position?

There's a difference between enjoying a product and condoning its business practices.If people only watched shows put on by moral, stand-up promoters who have never done anything shady in their lives, well, there wouldn't be much wrestling left to watch.Just because someone enjoys what goes on inside the ring doesn't mean they can't criticise activities out of the ring.

Whether you do or not, your previous post seems to imply that you agree on the point that British wrestling needs to work together in order for the industry to progress. There's one word that sufficiently explains why that would NEVER happen. It's a word you're quite familiar with, actually. Ego. :)

Thing is, TWC held all the cards. I'm sure there are egos that could be kept in check if they knew a TV deal and national exposure was at stake and if they didn't keep it in check they'd lose their TV.

Guest Fadda

What's with the comparisons between WWE and FWA? You can't even begin to compare the two. The US market was thriving, the British market is almost dead. FWA doesn't have a 'position' to protect - 99% of fans have never heard of them. For all intents and purposes, in this country WWE is the be all and end all. In a market that's almost dead, you can't be protecting any perceived position at this stage, as it doesn't benefit them or anyone else in the long run. There's definitely no comparison to McMahon as the context is completely different, and if the FWA think there is a comparison, they have some serious delusions of grandeur.The 'average' fan would probably dismiss FWA on image alone. If all they know is WWE they won't be able to take the tiny ring, the smaller workers, the poor lighting etc seriously. That's the only 'compeition', which is why everyone has to work together if they want to get anywhere.(And the NWA, particularly Crockett, did as much to kill itself as McMahon did. Instead of working together, Crockett monopolised the NWA champion, purchased other territories and then killed them off, and let Dusty's ego book the rest into the ground. Egos again.)

• Paid Members

My point: FWA is watered down american product, NOT British wrestling. Doesnt make it less enjoyable though.

How are Alex, Jonny, James, Doug, Xavier, Burchill, Flash, Sloan, etc, American?They book 2 or 3 Americans on their shows because people have heard of them more - it puts bums in seats, so they can promote the homegrown talent.Here are a list of quotes from the previous pages that make perfect sense about the situation:

And what's all this crap about 'dominance'? Are FWA taking over all these other promotions? Are FWA closing them down? They6 will still exist, it is UP TO THEM to promote their shows effectively.Where is the buzz about All Star Wrestling/K-Star/TWA?Where are their DVDs? Where are their attempts at national promotion?

Name all these great UK promotions then, you know, the ones that everyone talks about, the ones that make the headlines in Powerslam, the ones that people on UKFF talk about. The ones that are orgainised enough to be able to supply TWC with ready made weekly programming. The ones that have great ideas for the future.Go on, you tell me. What UK promotions should be on the channel, and why.I keep reading 'oh it is terrible, we need variety' but nobody names any promotions. And if anyone does care to name any promotions, can you say, hand-on-heart, that they are ready to produce a weekly tv show which will compare favourably with the types of shows on TWC, and with those that have already aired on Friendly tv?

I've been to enough shows to know that they are nowhere near as good as FWA.As I said before, where are the other promotions plans?FWA have clearly been planning these deals for months. They have put in all this time, money and effort. What have the other promotions been doing?

which British promotion can honestly say they even come close to FWA, its' organistaion, and plans for the future right now?Where is All Star Wrestling's innovation? Where are TWA's grand plans for the future? Where are K-Star's links with the innovative promotions in the States and Japan? Where is NWA Hammerlock's tv deal? Isn't it something like three years since they promised something? Ten minutes a week on the barely watched Johnny Vaughan comedy show isn't exposure, it's a burial.I think a lot of people whose noses will have been put out of joint with this need to take a long hard look in the mirror at themselves. And then do what FWA have done - get up off their arses and actually DO something about it, instead of just blowing hot air all the time.

As I said before, British Wrestling as a whole has a MAJOR perception problem with the masses.If an FWA show aired and it was half decent, great. It might change some perceptions and eradicate some skepticism.But if another UK fed was shown, featuring a barely lit arena, complete with a crowd of 50 fans and 'Doink the Clown' in the main event, do you think that would be a good advertisement for British wrestling?

Wake up people! This is a BUISNESS! For far to long a handful of old time two bit promoters have tried to pass off a load of crap as"British Wrestling". The FWA have slogged their guts out to get this. If the other promotions were so good how come they didn't get this deal themselves?

And Gary Graham made the most sense:

The thing is thinking about it as a promoter.The FWA are the only promotion in the UK that are really ready for TV. They have first class production values, which improve at every show. The talent they have on the shows piss all over every other promotion in the UK.I know I say wZw have some shit hot shows and yes we do, but we are a while off TV standards as are every other promotion in the UK.This is a benchmark for us all to reach. Production, show management and the talent booked on these shows. I am not going to be glum, sod it I am going to get my company up to the standards the FWA have set. Gary

Edited by herbie747

Guest overbooked

My point: FWA is watered down american product, NOT British wrestling. Doesnt make it less enjoyable though.

How are Alex, Jonny, James, Doug, Xavier, Burchill, Flash, Sloan, etc, American?
They may be British-born, but with the possible exception of Doug they predominantly wrestle an American style. In-ring the FWA has more in common with RoH et al than the British style of wrestling. Plus, the production is very clearly influenced by WWE, and as it is done on a shoe-string budget, looks like a watered-down version of American wrestling.

Where is the buzz about All Star Wrestling/K-Star/TWA?Where are their DVDs? Where are their attempts at national promotion?

The K-Star and TWA issues have been covered, and bringing them up shows an ignorance of the current UK scene.I'd say All-Star putting on shows all over the country for many, many years is an attempt at 'national promotion', don't you think?

what can I say that aint already been said . I think FWA have put there best foot forward & this is the end result . FWA is a promotion & a business so they have done what is best for FWA & who can blame them . Whats in store for fans with this deal ?Well plenty of FWA action which if you like the product aint exactly a bad thing now is it . If you aint a fan of the product well then it looks like tough shit with the deal that has been done which personally I think is a shame however I think it needs stressing that theres very few promotions out there that are worthy of being shown on TV at the moment. Yes there is some stound out wrestlers out there but im not so sure if theres enough on one card on any given promotion to make a fan turn around & say thats quality right the way through it & if any promotion out there thought diffrent well they are kidding themselves. Thats not a slap in the face of british wrestling thats just i think how it is right now & if they want to be serious players then heres the chance to step up to the plate & say fuck you FWA & TWC your wrong ! Fuck you were right & now were going to prove it to you !A concern of mine was FWA saying that if a promotion can give the same sort of production that FWA have right now then they have every right to be on TWC. I personally dont think that is possible right now & dunno if it ever will but I would like to think that somewhere down the line the up & coming promotions can do this & get the right to be on TWC.In the meantime if FWA do really want British wrestling to thrive then they will help other promotions to the best of there ability by giving other promotions the rub . For instance on the Unsigned show that has been proposed I think it would be a good idea for them to do a feature of the wrestler & the promotion & there backgrounds just so people know that when it comes to local wrestling promotions they will have an idea who they are & what they have been doing to get that far , thus helping them out some what ........any rub is better than no rub at all . Is this move a step in the right direction for British wrestling ? Time will tell , time will tell . I for one think if certain procedures are put in place then maybe it can be beneficial in the future but as it stands right now & due to there being a lot of dark matter about whats truly happening I guess all we can do is wait & see

FWA have clearly been planning these deals for months. They have put in all this time' date=' money and effort. What have the other promotions been doing?[/quote']

Putting on wrestling shows?

Yeah, and a fat lot of good that's done them and will do them in the long run. They didn't look at the big picture. They should have been focusing all their efforts on getting a tv deal like FWA.

In a well publicised move' date=' they shut down their business to 'refocus and prepare for 2004'.[/quote']

And they did such a good job of refocusing and preparing that we're two weeks out from their big comeback show, and we still haven't got a card booked or tickets on sale.

So? That will mean nothing in the long run. They have a tv deal. That means everything. They can easily sort out a little ticketing and card problem.

You talk like it took months and months of drawn-out negotiations to reach a deal with the wrestling channel in the UK. They're not the BBC. It probably took a couple of phone calls. This isn't a big-time TV deal.

To be honest, their actions come across like a desparate company on their last legs, that have been spending beyond their means, fighting to survive by sabotaging their competitors.

Yeah, that's what Jim Crockett said about WWF, leading into Wrestlemania 1. ;)

Yeah, and he was nearly right. WWF were saved, however, by WM1 doing great walk-up business at the closed-circuit locations. Where's FWA's big windfall coming from? The Brent show?

What a terrible waste it would be if TWC wasn't used to try and improve the state of the wrestling business in the UK.

Why?

Why would it be a waste? What, are you kidding me? You don't think it'd be a terrible shame if the British wrestling business was still in the toilet after we've had a fucking 16 hour-a-day dedicated wrestling channel for a few years?

TWC is in the business of getting viewers. Nothing more.

Can I just reiterate that it's a WRESTLING CHANNEL.

So you don't think it's hypocritical when a WWE fan criticises the FWA for trying to protect its position?

Not in the least. You're an ROH fan. Are you saying you wouldn't criticise Alex Shane if he was caught fiddling with kids?

Whether you do or not' date=' your previous post seems to imply that you agree on the point that British wrestling needs to work together in order for the industry to progress. There's one word that sufficiently explains why that would NEVER happen. It's a word you're quite familiar with, actually. Ego.  ;) [/quote']

Hey, ignoring the points so you can take a suitably ironic dig at Pick. :thumbsup:

This isn't about egos, it's about desperation.

Antonio Pena and Paco Alonso have massive egos and hate each other with a passion, but yet they manage to have their shows side by side on the same channel. How many different Japanese companies (run by people with massive egos) have shows on Samurai TV? How do they manage this? Could it be because they're not retards, and that they actually understand the wrestling business.

Pick made a great point about the hypocrisy of showing 3PW, CZW and ROH, but no British companies with similair production techniques will be able to get a shot.

"Hey, if you blow all of your budget on a shiny ramp, fireworks and awful backstage 'skits' (as Alex calls them), so that you look like a horrible low-rent WWE, then you can get on TWC too."

Guest Dave Pick

Whether you do or not, your previous post seems to imply that you agree on the point that British wrestling needs to work together in order for the industry to progress. There's one word that sufficiently explains why that would NEVER happen. It's a word you're quite familiar with, actually. Ego. :)

Mo, you just took a whole paragraph out on me pretty much putting down two feds I work for in favour of FWA just to take a dig at me and ignore the point I made.And it came from the man who was the quickest to jump straight into a wrestling forum and exxagurate something which happened behind the scenes at a WZW show which pretty much everyone else kayfabed. And it's me who's familiar with the big E word?And in this case, I might as well make another point. FWA's wrestlers work for other promotions in Britain, yes? Including their champion, managing director, head trainer and their other big names. So, these guys will be the main feature on FWA's primary TWC headline show, and no other promotions are allowed on.If these guys continue to work the feds "which aren't good enough for TV", does this not make British wrestling look absolutely pathetic since the guys who are the big TV stars in the UK have to work the small time feds to pay there way? Paul Birchall, someone who I believe FWA will/should push as a main TV star working Butlins camps and other feds in front of 100-200 people on a weekday the night after he had just been the main feature on a national TV show, and doing the job to Robbie Brookside in the 3rd match on the All Star card. Kids'll have watched him the night before and been all "Wow, this huge guy just done a sommersault over the ringpost", and then seen the Butlins performance and be chanting "You suck!".The only way FWA can solve this is another one which will open them to obvious criticism - Exclusive contracts.