FWA Sign TV Deal with TWC

PC316

So all FWA did was sign themselves up for five years without stopping other UK feds like SCW, MPW, Hammerlock, GPW, AIWF...etc from getting their shows on The Wrestling Channel...good news there.But the production standards benchmark bitty is a wee bitty controversial still is it not...I mean okay a federation could have great talent on the show, but if it's sound system, lighting or what not is not very good does that mean that the show might not be put on basically because they don't have the lighting system, sound system and what not at the same standard as the FWA?Still better news than when it was first announced and it looked like FWA had signed and "Exclusivity" contract.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if another UK fed was shown, featuring a barely lit arena, complete with a crowd of 50 fans and 'Doink the Clown' in the main event, do you think that would be a good advertisement for British wrestling?

Totally agree with you on that... but what do you actually know about the British scene?Not much, if that's what you think it is...
I've been to enough shows to know that they are nowhere near as good as FWA.As I said before, where are the other promotions plans?FWA have clearly been planning these deals for months. They have put in all this time, money and effort. What have the other promotions been doing?To coin a Jim Ross-like phrase, you can't complain about the horse in the barn if it has already bolted and is galloping away into the distance as you speak.

Here's a question for you:What other U.K. promotion has got big before the advent of TWC, apart from FWA?If the answer is 'no other promotion', then why do you think this is?And why do you think these other promotions deserve tv time?

To be fair, Bravo didn't pick up FWA TV on the back of the Revival show, and no other channels have shown any interest in showing their programming (at least to the best of my knowledge) so it would hardly be fair to say the FWA "got big", would it?

Welcome to wrestling. That has been happening in the U.S. for years.

It's worked brilliantly having one dominant promotion. Oh wait a sec....

What other U.K. promotion has got big before the advent of TWC, apart from FWA?

But if only the FWA are allowed to get on the channel it puts a stranglehold on everyone else.
The comparisons with WWE are laughable.When ECW got a tv deal on TNN, did all the other US indys cry and moan? Or where they happy about having a non-WWF and non-WCW representative and national tv, flying the flag for indy wrestling.And what's all this crap about 'dominance'? Are FWA taking over all these other promotions? Are FWA closing them down? They6 will still exist, it is UP TO THEM to promote their shows effectively.Where is the buzz about All Star Wrestling/K-Star/TWA?Where are their DVDs? Where are their attempts at national promotion?

so it would hardly be fair to say the FWA "got big", would it?

FWA got big because fans who watched WWE etc. heard about great shows and went to check out this new British promotion for themselves.  The same will happen for the rest of the British promotions not on The Wrestling Channel if they pull their socks up.  At the end of the day it once again shows that there is not one big UK wrestling 'family', just various relatively small promotions ewach trying to get one up on the next to be top of the 'HUGE???' British wrestling market.

It was bazhsw who said this first, I was using his words.

Just because you don't know of them it doesn't mean that other feds aren't making TV ready shows.

Well if they are, they haven't had much success have they?I think FWA should be applauded, not condemned. They did what any businessmen in their right minds would have done. They closed a deal, they didn't just talk about it for months on end like all these other UK feds have been doing for years.

But this is a wrestling channel.Airing in the UK.

Yes, airing mostly Japanese, American and Mexican wrestling.
Well with all british wrestling now coming from one fed they arent going to show much else are they?The idea of the wrestling channel opened up the possibilities that companies of different ability and style would be able to showcase their potential and attract a larger audience. Of course with Alex Shane thinking of

TWA don't exist any more do they?

Exactly. That says it all.

Where are their FWA DVDs?

Alright, offical videos sold on-line, along with proper merchandise, soundtracks, etc.There is no buzz about any other promotion in the U.K. That's a fact. Edited by ClassicsGuy

I think FWA should be applauded, not condemned. They did what any businessmen in their right minds would have done.

Yes, I appreciate that.But surely that doesn't preclude me from expressing my disappointment that this appears to be a setback for the UK wrestling industry in general?TWC could have been a shot in the arm for the whole scene. As things stand now, unless Alex Shane's announcement sheds any further light on the situation, it seems that the rest of the scene can basically rot for five years.It's no good saying that the other promotions can "find another channel" either, because FWA certainly couldn't.

Where is the buzz about All Star Wrestling/K-Star/TWA?

TWA don't exist any more do they?

Where are their DVDs?

Where are the FWAs?
Took the words out my mouth, and infact alot of UK promotions do have their own DVD's.

the prospect of a channel actually interested in showing wrestling exclusively has been a fairly recent development.

Is six months recent?And six months is when the public announcement was made back in September, so you have to think the channel was in the planning stages well before that.Face it, this deal has been done for months. Why else do you think FWA deliberately closed down after Christmas for nearly two months?To get all their ducks in a row. And boy, haven't they got their ducks in a row....

But surely that doesn't preclude me from expressing my disappointment that this appears to be a setback for the UK wrestling industry in general?

How will this 'setback' the UK wrestling scene?It can only help the UK wrestling scene. UK wrestling on tv = people watching it, getting used to it = people more inclined to go to UK live shows, regardless of the promotion.UK wrestling as a whole means nothing right now to the masses. So it will only improve UK wrestling's image. It can hardly 'set it back'. Edited by ClassicsGuy