UFC Vegas: Barboza vs Murphy - May 18 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

Who wins?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

More Apex slop for youā€¦

IMG_9513.thumb.jpeg.df5787ebfacba526c0ffa85a898e26b7.jpeg

ESPN MAIN CARD
Edson Barboza vs Lerone MurphyĀ 

Khaos Williams vs Carlston HarrisĀ 

Ramiz Brahimaj vs Themba Gorimbo

Adrian Yanez vs Vinicius SalvadorĀ 

Luana Pinheiro vs Angela Hill

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Tom Nolan vs Victor Martinez

Oumar Sy vs Tuco TokkosĀ 

Tamires Vidal vs Melissa Gatto

Abus Magomedov vs Warlley Alves

Piera Rodriguez vs Ariane Carnelossi

Alateng Heili vs Kleydson Rodrigues

Emily Ducote vs Vanessa DemopoulosĀ 

Ā 

Like a lot of these Apex cards, especially lately, Iā€™m really not feeling this. I like the main event. Thatā€™s actually better than your standard Apex headliner. But the rest? Not much to it, is there? Couple of bits and bobs Iā€™m interested in but Iā€™m gonna be skipping a fair bit of this. I mean, unless they switch the bout order up, 3 straight low level womenā€™s fights kicking off the card? šŸ’©Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_0508.jpeg.de7bb523b4eab0167bfcdac40c562dc8.jpeg

Edson Barboza vs Lerone Murphy tops this one. Good fight. Much better headliner than we usually get on these Apex cards anyway. As Iā€™m typing this, Barboza is ranked #11 in the Featherweight division, Murphy isnā€™t ranked yet. So this is big for him. His first UFC main event, against a popular name and an exciting fighter, plus a win gets him in the rankings.

IMG_3450.thumb.jpeg.faa6dceb7f6ed44be3d0421248254ff1.jpeg

Barbozaā€™s no spring chicken now. Heā€™s 38 years old and thisā€™ll be his 36th pro MMA fight. Add to that a 28 fight Kickboxing career and thatā€™s 63 fights total and an overall combat sports record of 49-14 with 36 of his wins coming by knockout or TKO. He actually has one win by submission as well early in his MMA career but, on the whole, you know what youā€™re getting out of Barboza. While heā€™s obviously had to work on other areas of MMA, heā€™s about as pure a striker as there is in the sport. Definitely one of the best kickers in the game. Past and present. Love watching him. Heā€™s had his ups and downs in the UFC but whenever I think of Barboza itā€™s the spectacular knockouts of Terry Etim and Beneil Dariush that jump out first. Then throw in wins over Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez, Paul Felder, Dan Hooker etc. Heā€™s never been close to being ā€˜the guyā€™ at 155 or 145, but heā€™s had quite a run. Heā€™s just never quite found the consistency to put together a real streak of wins consecutively. A lot of that is because heā€™s been caught lacking in other areas like the grappling. But when heā€™s on his game and sharp, heā€™s a dangerous man. And always a good gatekeeper and litmus test for guys trying to crack into that top end of the division. His last fight was a similar thingā€¦

IMG_9497.thumb.jpeg.93574606fb83f409b6450344d2bd789f.jpeg

He went 5 hard rounds with Sodiq Yusuff in a really good fight in October. And Barboza won and almost had Yusuff out of there at one point. So while heā€™s getting up in age now for a lighter weight class fighter, make no mistake he can still hang with some of these up and comers. When I say heā€™s a gatekeeper, I mean no disrespect. Heā€™s the guy those young rising contenders have to get through to put themselves in the conversation for title fights. And as we saw in the Yusuff fight, Barboza is no soft touch or easy stepping stone. Heā€™s in a similar boat hereā€¦

IMG_7610.jpeg.9c8e5782d2383c134391390d8ee2b528.jpeg

Lerone Murphy is the next guy whoā€™s gonna have to take the test. Feels like a long overdue step up for Murphy and Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how it goes. Of all the UK fighters on the roster, Murphy is probably the one whoā€™s gone under the radar the most for me. Heā€™s still yet to be beaten. Heā€™s 13-0-1 with the only ā€˜blemishā€™ being a split draw against Zubaira Tukhugov back in 2019. Heā€™s won 5 fights since then but just never really seems to advance or have any meaningful fights. Itā€™s partly on him. He doesnā€™t exactly put himself out there, heā€™s not really outspoken and doesnā€™t have the biggest personality. Which is fair enough but itā€™s meant he hasnā€™t stood out from the pack or received the appealing fights others get. Arnold Allen went through similar until he broke through with that Dan Hooker stoppage. Some of it with Murphy is just bad luck though. He was supposed to co-main against Dan Ige on an Apex card in February but had to withdraw due to injury. He also missed all of 2022 because of fight cancellations. He came back in 2023 with wins over Gabriel Santos and Josh Culibao but didnā€™t exactly wow anyone and those wins just felt like sideways steps more than anything. There were those rumblings of a big UK domestic clash against Nathaniel Wood, and they were going back and forth, but it amounted to nothing in the end. Itā€™s been the slowest of burns but this is the big opportunity for him now. Time to make something happen.

IMG_9627.thumb.jpeg.2a97d1cd9093c981ffea15e825a45bc8.jpeg

Good stuff. Like I said, Barboza is nobodyā€™s pushover and heā€™s shown in recent fights that heā€™s still got something left. If youā€™re not quite up to the task, heā€™s probably not the guy you want standing across the Octagon from you. We know what Barboza is about and how heā€™s gonna approach this. Just pure, vicious, blunt force Muay Thai brutality until either you go to sleep or he fades trying to end you. The interest here is how Murphy handles it. His first main event, first 5 rounder, and I donā€™t think weā€™ve ever really seen him face someone as lethal as Barboza. Does Murphy rise to the occasion, does he fold? Regardless, itā€™s time to see whatā€™s what. Murphy is gonna turn 33 in July. Far from old but itā€™s time to crack on and either go on a big run or fall on the sword. Still no real clue how good he actually is because his career has been so stop/start but you get the feeling the next couple of years is gonna be crucial for him if heā€™s ever gonna make a proper run at the top of the 145 division. Itā€™s a ā€˜now or neverā€™ thing at this point.

Ā 

IMG_8438.jpeg.29ef93e81a6eb8eae36931f7d94dac69.jpeg

Khaos Williams vs Carlston Harris as co-main? Yeah, me neither but thatā€™s the way Big Marcel has it listed currently. I know itā€™s only the Apex but still. Itā€™s not a terrible fight. I just donā€™t particularly care about it. Khaos is a guy Iā€™ve enjoyed watching when Iā€™ve seen him but heā€™s in and out so sporadically and infrequently itā€™s hard to get invested. I remember when he burst into the UFC and immediately scored back-to-back quick KOs over Alex Morono and Abdul Razak Alhassan. Just blasted them both to bits in 30 seconds each. I genuinely thought we might have a new potential contender on our hands but he lost to Michel Pereira and seemed to fizzle out. Heā€™s only fought once a year the last couple of years. Heā€™s still only 30 and has a record of 14-3 with 8 finishes. He could still carve out a nice little midcard run, but heā€™s gotta show up to work to do that. Harris is 36 years old, 19-5 and has 11 finishes. Heā€™s coming off a late come from behind submission win over Jeremiah Wells back in August. Canā€™t say I remember much else about him but looking at his record, heā€™s gone 7-1 in his last 8 with the only loss being to Shavkat Rakhmonov. Not the worst. Hopefully Khaos shows up for this one. If weā€™re going off recent form, thisā€™ll probably be his only fight in 2024, so make the most of it.

Ā 

IMG_0513.jpeg.5d184f66644d4d684105db21f3fb9003.jpeg

Ramiz Brahimaj vs Themba Gorimbo is one of the few fights I actually give a bollocks about on this card. We havenā€™t seen Brahimaj in a while though. He last fought in February 2022, submitting Micheal Gillmore in 2 minutes on the undercard of Islam Makhachev vs Bobby Green. That feels like a lifetime ago now. Heā€™s had a couple of fights scheduled since but had to pull out with injuries both times. Hopefully he makes it through camp this time. Heā€™s 14-4 now and wildly inconsistent from what I remember of him. My investment here is all about Themba Gorimbo.

IMG_9869.gif.fb6c49ca6baf3429089324f10c26a7e6.gif

Thatā€™s how his last fight in February ended. A 32 second walloping of Pete Rodriguez. I was pleasantly surprised with that. Obviously Themba gained a bunch of fans last year when that story did the rounds of The Rock buying him a house. That whole thing was clearly designed to make Rock look good but Gorimbo came across as such a good soul that I instantly became a fan and wanted to see him succeed from that point on. I had a bad feeling about that last fight though, just because Rodriguez was so heavy handed and I hadnā€™t been blown away by Gorimboā€™s early UFC fights. But maybe some of that was because his circumstances back then were holding him back as well? Now heā€™s got a proper home and some money and was given that bit of a leg up from The Rock, now he can just focus 100% on getting better and achieving his goals, maybe itā€™ll make a difference. Heā€™s 33 years old already, Iā€™m not expecting title runs or anything like that but Iā€™d love to see him reach whatever his true potential is. He was sending money from his minimal fight purses back to his village in Zimbabwe even before Rocky shone the light on his story. Heā€™s fighting the good fight. Impossible not to root for him.

Ā 

IMG_0511.jpeg.d58d6705f09e1af04ae906581cb4d890.jpeg

Adrian Yanez vs Vinicius Salvador is one of the few fights that should be worth watching on this card. Never miss a Yanez fight. Shame heā€™s in a bit of a slump now because heā€™s been non-stop excitement ever since he put pen to paper and signed with the UFC. Out of his 7 fights in the UFC so far, heā€™s got either a POTN or FOTN bonus in 5 of them. Great to watch. It was all going well until last year. He had a rotten 2023. He got stopped in brutal fashion by both Rob Font and Jonathan Martinez. Hopefully he can rebound here. This is definitely a step back in competition so Iā€™m liking his chances of bouncing back. But I donā€™t know enough about Salvador to be mega confident about it. Heā€™s Brazilian, 27 years old and 14-6 with all 14 of his wins coming inside the distance. Heā€™s dropped decisions to Victor Altamirano and CJ Vergara in his last two outings. So youā€™d think Yanez can win this. The one vague memory I have of Salvador though is that heā€™s awkward and one of those annoying fuckers who likes to showboat and taunt and shit. Hoping Yanez can get to him but he might be difficult to look good against. Weā€™ll see.

Ā 

IMG_0510.jpeg.7b662be4e5dc9c464567e365b2846ca1.jpeg

Luana Pinheiro vs Angela Hill is doing very little for me. Maybe itā€™ll be better than Iā€™m expecting but Iā€™m just not arsed. Pinheiro is 30 years old and has a record of 11-2, 7 finishes. We last saw her in November getting spin kicked in the mouth by Amanda Ribas and TKOā€™d. Before that she was on a 9 fight win streak but the most notable win was over a past it Michelle Waterson and even then she only managed a split decision. Not convinced. As for Hill, I donā€™t know what to make of her. Sheā€™s never been a contender but she has the odd night where she looks better than I remember. Sheā€™s 39 now and has an abysmal 16-13 record. I was pretty much completely writing her off going into her last fight against Denise Gomes in November. Gomes was coming off bulldozing Mexican prospect Yazmin Jauregui in just 20 seconds and it felt like one of those evil matchups where they were feeding the ageing veteran to the young slugger. But Hill beat her! Every time I think sheā€™s done, she wins a fight I expected her to lose and keeps herself off the chopping block. This looks like another winnable fight for her, IMO, but watch her go and lose now. Pointless trying to predict her fights.

Ā 

IMG_0516.jpeg.1c6edd7e179e075352759a432d327757.jpeg

Tom Nolan vs Victor Martinez. Not sure. Iā€™m not clued up enough on either really. Quickly looking them both up, I see Australiaā€™s Nolan is 6-1 with 4 knockouts. He made his UFC debut in January and got sat down in a minute by Nikolas Motta. Heā€™s only 24 so thereā€™s time to bounce back, not the end of the world. But definitely not a good start. Martinez is 32 and has a 13-5 record with 8 by KO/TKO. He also got chinned in his UFC debut, Jordan Leavitt crushed him in a round with knees from the Thai clinch well over a year ago. Well, one of them is guaranteed to get that first Octagon win. Unless itā€™s a draw. Watch it be a draw now.

Ā 

IMG_8334.jpeg.75ba6b9e181d1922dc082533d3fab5db.jpeg

Oumar Sy vs Tuco TokkosĀ is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. You know itā€™s slim pickings when Iā€™m going with a couple of fighters who Iā€™ve never seen fight and are making their UFC debuts. It has my attention though. Oumar Sy is the one Iā€™m interested in here. Heā€™s French, 28 years old and undefeatedĀ at 9-0Ā with 7 finishes. Iā€™ve seen him listed as 6ā€™4ā€ or 6ā€™5ā€ in different places and apparently has an 83.9in reach.

IMG_7969.thumb.jpeg.89fa6f3b7bd6130c8d26d0bc171427e2.jpeg

Heā€™s already fought in promotions like Oktagon, KSW and Ares. A UFC signing that isnā€™t coming off DWCS? Thatā€™s a rare thing these days. His Octagon debut couldnā€™t really be happening under much less than ideal circumstances though. This is his third scheduled opponent for this card. He was originally booked against Rodolfo Bellato. Bellato dropped out and Mackenzie Dernā€™s fella Antonio Trocoli stepped in. Then no sooner was he in, he was out. Now weā€™ve got this Tokkos bloke jumping in on 4/5 days notice. Heā€™s from the UK, 33 years old and 10-3 with 8 finishes. Iā€™d never heard of him but after looking him up, heā€™s the guy who got absolutely obliterated by Zhang Mingyang on ā€˜Road To UFCā€™ back in 2022ā€¦

IMG_8337.gif.e3b2bc639a0a36f9ca2947b86c280b85.gif

Yeah, he got wrecked. In fairness to him though, heā€™s gone on to win 3 fights in a row since then and his last 2 never made it to the second round. He was also on a 3 fight win streak before that Mingyang loss. That fight probably isnā€™t the fairest reflection of his skills but itā€™s the only thing Iā€™ve seen of him so itā€™s all Iā€™ve got to go on at the moment. Fair play to him for stepping in here but to take this fight, against an undefeated fighter, on less than a weekā€™s notice, itā€™s risky. Especially for his UFC debut. Far from ideal conditions for either manā€™s debut but at least Syā€™s been training all camp for this specific date, I guess. The UFC just announced theyā€™re going back to Paris in September. Iā€™d expect to see Sy on there providing he comes out of this one healthy.

Ā 

IMG_7431.jpeg.05ecc553bde8784290c845a188376cb9.jpeg

Tamires Vidal vs Melissa Gatto isnā€™t setting anyoneā€™s world alight. In fairness to Vidal, I remember liking her UFC debut. She absolutely folded poor Ramona Pascual with a nasty flying knee to the body. Donā€™t see that often but it was a cool finish. Unfortunately, she then shat the bed in her next fight and dropped a decision to Montserrat Rendon. Gatto is stepping in on short notice here, replacing an injured Hailey Cowan. Sheā€™s Brazilian, 28 years old and has a record of 8-2-2. Sheā€™s lost decisions to Tracy Cortez and Ariane Lipski in her last two fights.

Ā 

IMG_0512.jpeg.c5a253b896d3b1a4348f9d3e0447cb45.jpeg

Abus Magomedov vs Warlley Alves is just there. Might be alright but theyā€™ve both found their level. Iā€™ll never forgive Abus for getting smashed up by fucking Strickland last summer. That win lead directly to Strickland getting the title shot against Adesanya and we saw how that ended. That fight also gave Stricklandā€™s loser fanbase the one bit of ammunition they were looking for to claim heā€™s an exciting fighter, a ā€˜warriorā€™ and all that shite. Heā€™d looked a bit handy in the very limited footage Iā€™d seen going in so that got my hopes up that maybe heā€™d chin Strickland. But no. He came into a 5 round fight with only 1 roundā€™s worth of cardio, faded terribly and got stopped in the second round. He followed that with a points loss to Caio Borralho in November and I seem to recall he faded in that one as well. Useless. And Alves looks like heā€™s on his last legs. Crazy to me that heā€™s still only 33, feels like heā€™s been around forever. His career highlight will always be the night he choked Colby Covington in about 90 seconds. But that was 2015. Heā€™s now 14-7, on a 3 fight losing streak and just got wrecked by Ikram Aliskerov at UFC 294 in October. This should really be a ā€˜loser leavesā€™ match at this point but it wonā€™t be. These Apex cards need filling.

Ā 

IMG_8443.jpeg.11b40f1e7fc05208a76d3e5e7c5766ef.jpeg

Piera Rodriguez vs Ariane Carnelossi isnā€™t grabbing me. Iā€™m saying that about pretty much every fight on this card, arenā€™t I? Going through the motionsā€¦Rodriguez is Venezuelan, 31 years old and has a record of 9-1 and 5 finishes. Sheā€™s coming into this fight off the first loss of her career, she got armbarred by Gillian Robertson last April. She was meant to fight Cynthia Calvillo recently but the fight got binned last minute due to Calvillo missing weight. And Carnelossi has been on a milk carton since May 2022. She lost a decision to Loopy Godinez and hasnā€™t fought since for some reason. Sheā€™s Brazilian, also 31 and has a record of 14-3 with 11 finishes.

Ā 

IMG_8440.jpeg.e376e623ac7d46a10a64e4d2f3df23e3.jpeg

Alateng Heili vs Kleydson Rodrigues. Dunno. Alatengā€™s one of those fighters whoā€™s been on the roster for years and I canā€™t really remember anything about him. He made his UFC debut in 2019 and has gone 4-2-1 since with no real notable wins to speak of. Heā€™s 16-9-2 overall now and coming off a points loss to Chris Gutierrez in October. Rodrigues is repping Team Nogueira so Iā€™m automatically rooting for him. Heā€™s 28 years old and 8-3 with 6 finishes. Hasnā€™t got off to the best of starts in the UFC though unfortunately. He did score a 59 second stoppage over Shannon Ross last year but that was sandwiched between losses to CJ Vergara and Farid Basharat.

Ā 

IMG_0514.jpeg.3cc90f9c04417b8497aab5ec185eccfa.jpeg

Emily Ducote vs Vanessa Demopoulos is justā€¦whatever. Both are going nowhere. Ducote is 30 years old, 13-8 and coming off a decision win over Ashley Yoder. Before that sheā€™d lost back-to-back fights. Demopoulos is 35 years old, 10-5 and beat Kanako Murata on points in her last fight. She lost to Karolina Kowalkiewicz before that. Just nothing happening Fight Pass fodder. No fucks given whatsoever.

Ā 

Thatā€™s yer lot. Never ending Apex shite.

IMG_9072.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

Poor Edson looked completley shot in this one. Mother nature has caught up with him, unfortunately. Murphy looked very impressive, too. Not sure how much to read into the performance though, as Edson made it as easy as possible for him in this one.