Good finishers from pony ones

Carbomb

• Paid Members

The discussion of Barrett's Wasteland finisher, and air_raid's mention of Mark Henry, got me thinking about good, established finishes that, done by anyone else, would either look shit, or just not convincing enough.

The first one that comes to mind is the World's Strongest Slam. When Menry started doing it, it didn't look very good, mainly because it's a mid-match hold at best in normal circumstances. But when he started putting some stank into it, lifting them up a bit before throwing them (and himself) down with a yell, it looked the business. Finally, Big Mark had a finish that was worthy of him. I don't think it's what he was missing, as such - more that it was a sign that he'd finally figured out what he'd missed before and put it into his general character and performance in the ring. I remember that Smackdown battle royal where he came in and beasted everyone, eventually only falling to Angle (if I've remembered that correctly) - it was the first time I ever sat up and thought he looked tasty, and therefore was finally invested in him after years of apathy.

Another, less prominent example was Mike Knox' flying crossbody. I've never seen anyone ever hit it like that before or since. Athletic guys hit it well, whether it's from running or off the top ropes, but it never looks like it should finish anyone, and actually the landing looks a bit clumsy (until the guys taking it started jumping slightly and bumping for it). But Knox' version just looked like he'd put you down permanently, throwing his whole body at you with venom, impact, and weight.

One that was relatively short lived was when Cena started sitting out for a period with the FU/AA, rather than just letting them drop. It just looked better, even though sitting out doesn't really do anything to an opponent you've just let go of, much like with the F5. But it did seem like he was delivering it with more intent, instead of lazily letting gravity do all the work, which any fucker his height could do. He didn't keep it up, though.

Great Khali's double-handed chokeslam was also good. Normally just a show-of-power move for a giant, but he made it look like the sort of finish that only a giant could pull off. Not bad for such a limited worker.

• Paid Members

And of course, the answer is The Hart Attack. Because I need another excuse to mention this match, the precise moment I became a Bret Hart fan and my life was never the same again. Lots of tandems have done the move in tribute to the Foundation over the years and it always looks crap, like a rubbish 80s finish ending a 21st Century match for the feels and not because it's a good move. I think its because nobody commits to the clothesline the way the "Hitman" used to fucking throw himself into it. But it never looks any good done by any other two wrestlers, ever. Well, apart from Jim and Owen, they get a pass.

I wrote that with tears in my eyes.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I think its because nobody commits to the clothesline the way the "Hitman" used to fucking throw himself into it.

In many ways it's more than a clothesline, he leaps up and sits down into it, so it's a bit like the seated clothesline The Miz does in the corner, but actually impressive.