The RuPaul's Drag Race thread

RedRooster

I know there are quite a few people on this forum who are avid viewers of Drag Race, and with the new US series currently underway, and UK vs. The World 2 starting next month, I thought it might be a good time to start a thread about the show. 

Firstly, on the subject of season 16 - I absolutely hate the Rate-A-Queen system. The last time they tried something similar to this in a US series was All-stars season 3, which had - in my opinion - the most undeserving winner of the whole series. I really hope that we don't end up seeing strong competitors lose out, for the sake of a misguided twist. 

As far as UK vs. The World goes, at face value it seems like a weak cast, but we'll see how it plays out. For similar reasons to rate-a-queen, I didn't like the system of elimination in the first series of this, as it led to the stronger competitors going home early - Pangina and Jimbo shouldn't have been eliminated when they were, in all rights they both should have been in the finale. 

Having just said all of that, I love a bit of Drag Race (particularly All-Stars) - and I'm enjoying the new season and contestants so far. 

• Awards Moderator

Huge Drag Race fan. Daughter asked to watch it in 2022 and suddenly we'd binged everything ever. Went to DragCon last year, and again last week. If you're on the fence DragCon is hilarious fun - there's such an atmosphere of openness, silliness and people just happy to be themselves. Look, here's me chatting Essex with Cheryl Hole:

20240113_153247.thumb.jpg.060dc2a6520d873dfa7893dc87b0f26f.jpg

I also had photo ops with Trinity the Tuck and Jan (Sport). Met Cheddar Gorgeous last year and they were one of the smartest, most intelligent people I've ever met.

While the whole gameshow element is good fun in the way other elimination reality shows are, my favourite parts of the show are usually when they're putting makeup on, and they open up about some experience growing up. I think it's so important for other people to hear these stories, to know they're not alone, or to understand how other people live. I can see how it's not for everyone, but this particular bit of the show is great.

3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

While the whole gameshow element is good fun in the way other elimination reality shows are, my favourite parts of the show are usually when they're putting makeup on, and they open up about some experience growing up. I think it's so important for other people to hear these stories, to know they're not alone, or to understand how other people live. I can see how it's not for everyone, but this particular bit of the show is great.

While I do love the talent shows, pop group weeks and the Snatch Game, I always enjoy the week where they transform non-drag queens into queens. Whether it’s the parent of an LGBTQ child, an older gay man who lost countless friends during the AIDS crisis of the eighties, a teacher who stands above culture war bullshit to support LGBTQ pupils or simply a Drag Race fan who took comfort from the show during a time of personal difficulty - as you say, those stories are so important and I’m so glad that there’s a show out there platforming them. 

The platforming of trans women and men is also massively important; and hearing the struggles and hate people have faced simply to be themselves. The way religion comes into it in the States is also heartbreaking; the fact that anyone would prioritise the inconsistency of the bible than their own child is just heartbreaking.

• Awards Moderator
43 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I always enjoy the week where they transform non-drag queens into queens

100%. Always so moving and empowering. 

Every now and again, there's a challenge that is so toe-curlingly awful, that you're amazed it made it to television. 

The most recent episode of Drag Race was that episode. If you haven't seen it, it involved the queens taking part in RDR Live - a sketch comedy show along the lines of Saturday Night Live, but with a twist - it wasn't funny. 

I can only assume that the 'jokes' were written during the writers' strike; because they were beyond terrible - the kind of sycophantic nonsense you'd expect from something like this, jokes about the judges playing to their egos - but on a whole new level of awful. 

The queens were being asked to work with bad material and make it work - understandably, none of them could - they were being presented with a bucket of shit, and being told to convince the judges (and viewing audience) that it was chocolate. 

In the end, the correct queens were in the bottom two; and the right person went home given that she could not remember the words of the song, but fuck me, that was a bad episode.