UFC Vegas: Luque vs Dos Anjos - Aug 12 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Another Saturday night at the Apexā€¦

IMG-6199.jpg

ESPN MAIN CARD
Vicente Luque vs Rafael Dos AnjosĀ 

Cub Swanson vs Hakeem DawoduĀ 

Khalil Rountree vs Chris DaukausĀ 

Polyana Viana vs Iasmin LucindoĀ 

Tafon Nchukwi vs AJ DobsonĀ 

Josh Fremd vs Jamie PickettĀ 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Marcus McGhee vs JP Buys

Terrance McKinney vs Mike BreedenĀ 

Francis Marshall vs Isaac DulgarianĀ 

Martin Buday vs Josh ParisianĀ 

Montserrat Conejo vs Jaqueline AmorimĀ 

Daā€™Mon Blackshear vs Jose JohnsonĀ 

Juliana Miller vs Luana SantosĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Not that bad a card. Certainly far from the worst weā€™ve seen when it comes to the Apex. Strong main event, although Iā€™ve got mixed feelings on that which Iā€™ll get into. Couple of other fights and fighters Iā€™m interested in scattered about as well. Itā€™ll do for a Fight Night. Passes a week before 292. As always Iā€™ll try and keep on top of the zillion card changes and edit this post along the way.

Ā 

Ā 

IMG-2239.jpg

Vicente Luque vs Rafael Dos Anjos is your all Brazilian main event. Good fight. Too good for the Apex, to be honest, but Iā€™m not complaining. Both are out of the title race at the moment, Luqueā€™s ranked #10 at Welterweight and RDAā€™s not even ranked at 170. Heā€™s still ranked at Lightweight for some reason even though heā€™s pretty much said himself he wanted to be taken out of the rankings and just wants fun fights at this stage of his career. This definitely fits that criteria. A fun matchup for the sake of a fun matchup. Fine by me. Iā€˜m a bit conflicted on this though.

IMG-7719.jpg

We havenā€™t seen Luque since August last year and he got stopped by Geoff Neal. I wondered why heā€™d been out so long since. Well apparently he suffered a brain haemorrhage from that loss to Neal. So heā€™s been on medical suspension for a year and has had to go through all the tests and procedures to get cleared to fight again. Obviously heā€™s been given the green light here but itā€™s a scary situation. Hopefully heā€™s gonna be OK but coming straight back in a 5 round fight against someone like RDA seems a bit rough. Heā€™s a good fighter and was on a strong run for a bit there before the back-to-back losses to Magny and Neal. But just hearing the words ā€œbrain haemorrhageā€ is terrifying. Heā€™s only 31, heā€™s got a lot of life to live. I know thereā€™s always risk for any fighter stepping into the cage but, still, it brings it home when you hear something like this. Bit of an uneasy feeling about it, to be honest.

Remini20220219170228131.jpg

Dos Anjos has been one of my favourite fighters for years. Badass. A prime candidate for a BMF title fight if theyā€™re gonna persist with that shite. He turns 39 in October and heā€™s clearly on the home stretch of his career, but what a run heā€™s had. Heā€™s fought every fucker, never ducked a tough fight, became UFC champ despite nobody thinking that was on the cards for him at the time. Has wins over the likes of Anthony Pettis, Donald Cerrone x2, Benson Henderson, Nate Diaz, Robbie Lawler etc. A bunch of losses as well but heā€™s fought pretty much all the top guys in his weight range, a lot of them in their primes, and heā€™s at least been competitive with most of them. Heā€™s at the point now where heā€™s not gonna be beating top contenders and his days of being in the title mix are over. Itā€™s a shame that fight with Islam Makhachev got away despite being signed a couple of times but as timeā€™s gone on I think itā€™s clear how that one wouldā€™ve played out. Wouldā€™ve been a good test for Makhachev at the time when he was on the way up though. RDAā€™s still got some left in the tank though. Heā€™s 3-1 in his last 4 and coming off a submission win over Bryan Barberena. He absolutely dominated Renato Moicano last year as well. And even the loss, he got stopped late by Fiziev but people forget RDA was mega competitive the first 4 rounds.

IMG-4554.jpg

So yeah. On paper itā€™s a good fight. Usually Iā€™d be buzzing for this. But Iā€™m not sure how to feel about it given the nature of Luqueā€™s layoff. Of course heā€™ll have gone through all the tests and shit and heā€™ll have had to get full medical clearance. But I donā€™t know. Itā€™s hard to get too excited for this fight knowing what we know. Just got a bad feeling about it. Weā€™ve seen concussions sideline fighters and even end careers prematurely before (TJ Grant and Chris Holdsworth immediately spring to mind), so someone suffering a brain haemorrhage and coming back at all, let alone as soon as the suspension is up is worrying. Especially in a fight like this. If Luque was gonna come back at all youā€™d think the least they could do would be to give him a bit of a gimme his first fight back. Just ease him back in slowly and see how he looks. But no. Straight back in a 5 rounder. RDAā€™s a machine as well, even at this late stage of his career. And when you look at the beating he put on a guy like Moicano as recently as last year, it just doesnā€™t feel like a good idea. Iā€™ve put a right downer on this one, havenā€™t I?

Ā 

IMG-2238.jpg

Cub Swanson vs Hakeem Dawodu is a decent fight. Always got time for a Cub fight. What a scrapper. Thisā€™ll be fight 42 of his career. He turns 40 in November. Hell of an innings for a fighter in the lighter weight classes. Heā€™s coming off a loss to Jonathan Martinez via leg kick TKO. Itā€™s winding down. I was actually hoping him and the Korean Zombie would be paired off in a fun double retirement match. A WEC dream match that we never got to see. But theyā€™ve decided to feed the Zombie to Max Holloway instead. This should be an entertaining enough matchup though. Dawoduā€™s 13ā€“3-1 with 7 knockouts, went 9-0 in Kickboxing, 42-5 in amateur Muay Thai etc. Hasnā€™t looked amazing in the UFC but heā€™s done alright. Has wins over Julio Arce, Zubaira Tukhugov and Mike Trizano. Got dominated by Movsar Evloev and soundly beat by Julian Erosa in his last fight. Heā€™s treading water at this point but heā€™s not bad to watch with the right opponent. I reckon old Cub can drag something out of him.

Ā 

IMG-2237.jpg

Khalil Rountree vs Chris Daukaus isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. Not a whole lot to choose from on this card but itā€™s an interesting one actually. We all know about Rountree. Never gonna trouble the top contenders but, pound-for-pound, heā€™s got to be one of the most purely violent fighters on the entire roster. When he flips the switch and really lets loose, itā€™s scary to watch. Thereā€™s just something about the way he goes for the kill that Iā€™ve only seen in a handful of fighters. Wanderlei Silva, Robbie Lawler and Melvin Manhoef being a few that spring to mind. Rountree actually has links to Wandy as well and even has a tattoo of the Wand Fight Team logo!

IMG-1737.jpg

image.gif.79d45325b82ab467b42d6d2e46782fef.gif

All makes sense now, doesnā€™t it? The knock on Rountree has always been inconsistency but, to be fair, heā€™s won his last 3 in a row now and has looked good in those fights. Daukaus is actually where a lot of the intrigue lies for me here though. Thisā€™ll be his Light Heavyweight debut. Not a move I ever really expected him to make but heā€™s been floundering at Heavyweight and has been knocked out in his last 3 fights. Rozenstruik chinned him in just 23 seconds last time out! Not good. So Daukaus had to change something. And it kind of makes sense. Heā€™s got plenty of bodyfat he can shed but heā€™s got a lot of weight to drop. Probably a move he shouldā€™ve made a while ago though. His 205 debut coming against Rountree is a bit of a baptism of fire though so weā€™ll see how it plays out.

Ā 

IMG-2235.jpg

Polyana Viana vs Iasmin Lucindo is a nothing fight in terms of relevance or rankings but I think it should be fun to watch all the same. Neither have bored me yet. Iā€™ve seen less of Lucindo but she instantly made a fan out of me in her UFC debut last summer. She lost a decision to Yazmin Jauregui but it was an absolute corker of a fight. She bounced back in April with a points win over Brogan Walker. Sheā€™s only 21 as well. Currently 14-5 with 10 finishes.

IMG-6889.jpg

image.gif.ce14937263dfaeb10ca4d074495b2392.gif

Mamacita! šŸ˜

Vianaā€™s not the best fighter but, again, far from boring. She flattened Jinh Yu Frey in just 47 seconds in her last fight in November. Sheā€™s 13-5 now with all 13 wins coming by knockout or submission. Not your typical Strawweight. Granted, itā€™s all been fairly low level. She wonā€™t be sparking Zhang Weili anytime soon. But in a division where the vast majority lack power and/or aggression, it makes a nice change to see someone go for the kill the way she does. Sheā€™ll not go far though. Just too inconsistent. Whatever happens I can see this being all action for however long it lasts. Viana doesnā€™t fuck about and just based on the limited footage Iā€™ve seen of Lucindo, sheā€™s not shy about getting stuck in either.

Ā 

IMG-2231.jpg

Tafon Nchukwi vs AJ Dobson. Donā€™t know. Donā€™t particularly care. Nchukwiā€™s 28 years old from Cameroon. One of those fighters who looks ace but the bookā€™s not as interesting once you get past the cover. Heā€™s 6-3 and coming off back-to-back stoppage losses to Carlos Ulberg and Azamat Murzakanov. Dobson isnā€™t doing much better. Heā€™s 6-2-0-1 and coming off a couple of decision losses. Literally nothing else to say about this one. Theyā€™re both going nowhere.

Ā 

IMG-2234.jpg

Josh Fremd vs Jamie Pickett is whatever. Typical Apex card filler. Fremd is 10-4 with 8 finishes. Got off to a shite start in the UFC going 0-2 initially. He finally got his first Octagon win last time out, submitting Sedriques Dumas. I was quite happy about that because Dumas is a cunt. Pickettā€™s coming off getting fed to Bo Nickal in Boā€™s UFC debut in March. Heā€™s lost 3 on the trot now and was stopped all 3 times so this feels like a win or go home situation for him.

Ā 

IMG-2232.jpg

Marcus McGhee vs JP Buys. Donā€™t really know enough about these two to give a bollocks one way or the other. McGhee stepped in on short notice for his UFC debut in April and submitted Journey Newson. Heā€™s 7-1 with 7 finishes after that one. Buys has been on the roster for a couple of years now. Came in off DWCS. Seems like getting a UFC contract was a curse for him though. Heā€™s gone 0-3 since, been stopped in two of them, now heā€™s been out of action for over a year. His wife and fellow UFC fighter Cheyanne left him in that time as well, for current UFC Middleweight Roman Dolidze if the rumours are true. Heā€™s surely due a change in luck. Itā€™s been L after L since the UFC signed him.

Ā 

IMG-0326.jpg

Terrance McKinney vs Mike Breeden is decent. Was supposed to be Breeden against Lando Vannata but thatā€™s out and McKinneyā€™s jumped in on late notice. Ballsy move really. Heā€™s coming off back-to-back losses, was finished in both of them and has gone 1-3 in his last 4. Taking a fight on short notice at this point seems like a huge risk. But I guess it gets him brownie points with Dana and the matchmakers or whoever, and he is an exciting fighter so theyā€™ll probably keep him around a while yet regardless. Breedenā€™s 10-5 with 8 knockouts and has gone winless in his first couple of trips to the Octagon. Got stopped by Alexander Hernandez and decisioned by Natan Levy.

Ā 

IMG-2230.jpg

Francis Marshall vs Isaac Dulgarian. Dunno. Seen little of Marshall and none of Dulgarian. Marshall looks good, to be fair. Heā€™s only 24 years old and 7-1 with 5 finishes. Heā€™s coming off his first loss, a split decision against William Gomis in April but I remember him looking handy in his stoppage win over Marcelo Rojo in his UFC debut in December. Dulgarian AKA ā€˜The Midwest Choppaā€™ is 27 years old and unbeatenĀ at 5-0Ā with 5 finishes. Might be decent.

Ā 

IMG-2226.jpg

Martin Buday vs Josh Parisian. Fucking kill me now. Just two big, fat, nothing happening slugs. Budayā€™s 31 apparently (Iā€™m gonna need to see the birth certificate) and has a record of 12-1 with 8 finishes. Doesnā€™t sound that bad on paper but heā€™s been complete arse to watch from what I remember. Heā€™s coming off a couple of rancid decision wins over Jake Collier and Lukasz Brzeski. And Parisianā€™s cack as well from my vague memory of him, Iā€™ve tried to block it out. 15-6 overall, 2-3 in the UFC and heā€™s gone L-W-L-W-L in there. And itā€™s not like heā€™s been fighting good opposition. The best fighter heā€™s fought in the UFC so far was probably Donā€™Tale Mayes. Yeah. Nowt to see here.

Ā 

IMG-2229.jpg

Montserrat Conejo vs Jaqueline Amorim is just there but Iā€™m kind of interested to see them both back in there. Itā€™s been a while since we saw Conejo. Sheā€™s Mexican, 10-2 and trains at Kings MMA. She stepped in on late notice in her UFC debut and beat Cheyanne Vlismas on points in a crappy fight. Then she got chinned in 35 seconds in her next fight against Amanda Lemos. That was July 2021 and we havenā€™t seen Conejo since. Thereā€™s two things I remember about that loss to Lemos. One, I recall thinking it was a bit of a harsh and premature stoppage. And two, the fucking look she gave the ref afterā€¦

image.gif.ddd2944a1eed2e1d91fac42580d7240c.gif

šŸ¤£ She was not happy. Amorim is making her second UFC appearance here after an unsuccessful debut in April. She came in undefeated, 6-0 with 6 first round finishes, and sheā€™d just won the LFA belt. There wasnā€™t a ton of hype on her but it definitely felt like she was being fed a showcase debut against nothing happening Sam Hughes and her measly 7-5 record. But Hughes went and beat her by decision. So both are coming in looking to redeem themselves here.

Ā 

IMG-0327.jpg

Daā€™Mon Blackshear vs Jose Johnson. Not familiar enough with either really. Iā€™ve seen Blackshear once or twice but nothing is particularly jumping out in the memory. Heā€™s 13-5-1 with 10 finishes and has gone 1-1-1 in the UFC so far. Finally got his first Octagon win in June, stopping Luan Lacerda. Johnson is making his UFC debut here and heā€™s stepping in on short notice, filling in for an injured Brady Hiestand. Heā€™s 15-7 with 10 finishes and coming off a points win on DWCS a year ago.

Ā 

IMG-2233.jpg

Juliana Miller vs Luana Santos is another nothing fight on a card pretty full of them. Maybe itā€™ll be better than I think though. Millerā€™s 3-2 now and sheā€™s a funny one. She won TUF last year and looked pretty good in her performance in the finals, dominating and eventually stopping Brogan Walker. But then she followed that up by getting beat up for 15 minutes by Veronica Hardy on the London card in March. I just remember Miller looking awful in that fight and bearing in mind Hardy had been inactive for 3 years going into that one, itā€™s even worse. Santos is making her UFC debut here. Sheā€™s 23 years old with a record of 5-1 with 3 submissions. Thatā€™s about all there is out there on her.Ā 
Ā 

Thatā€™ll do.

IMB_dECTGH.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Why are they continuing to do the shows at the apex surely it's not beneficial now the world is back to normalĀ 

Meā€¦

image.gif.164dda8b7f47e2fca03fd9a7015a8192.gif

12 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Why are they continuing to do the shows at the apex surely it's not beneficial now the world is back to normalĀ 

David in 3, 2, 1ā€¦

DC19712C-DD87-4CF3-8C4C-E9F85EFCB5D3.gif

• Paid Members

just watched the prelims for this, what a cracking little set of fights. First round finishes galore...and having DC on the call rather than Michael Bisping makes the Apex a lot more tolerable. Bisping is the shits.

I'm avoiding the results because i'm gonna probably watch the main card tomorrow, but good luck picking bonus winners on this thing.

• Paid Members

Only just fully caught up on this.

Luque vs Dos Anjos wasnā€™t a barnburner but Iā€™m kind of glad it wasnā€™t a dogfight given Luque was coming back from the brain haemorrhage and layoff. I was still wincing whenever RDA landed a punch but it was mostly clinching and wrestling anyway.

IMG-7614.jpg

Fair play. I found it a bit uncomfortable to watch but canā€™t help but be happy for him. Probably the best win of his career as well. RDAā€™s not the force he was but heā€™s far from shot and Luque was able to beat him in the kind of fight RDA usually does well in. Seen him calling out Poirier though and that would be the kind of war I feared this might be. Thereā€™s no other way for Poirier to fight. Not sure how realistic that is anyway.

Must admit I completely lost interest in the Swanson vs Dawodu fight after about a round or so. Just couldnā€™t get into it. Gotta be the first time Iā€™ve ever zoned out of a Cub fight. Seen a lot of moaning about the judging and even Cub said post-fight he thought he lost. Donā€™t know and I canā€™t see me rewatching it. Happy to see him get the win regardless. Even if he shouldnā€™t have got the decision. Seeing his wife and kids cageside, I guess the judges just couldnā€™t bring themselves to disappoint themā€¦

IMG-4213.jpg

Cub canā€™t have many fights left now. Still think thereā€™s a couple of fun fights for him. This just didnā€™t catch fire. Despite the ā€˜Meanā€™ Hakeem name, Dawodu isnā€™t a guy I associate with great fights. If thereā€™s anything left of the Zombie after Holloway smashes him up in Singapore, Iā€™d be good with Cub vs Zombie in a double retirement fight.

Khalil Rountree killed another one. And I think it might be time for Chris Daukaus to consider another line of work.

image.gif.990c9cf64ac265d7333337119ce51486.gif

šŸ«£ This was supposed to be Daukausā€™ fresh start at 205. Rountree wasnā€™t laying out any welcome mats, he just laid Daukaus out instead. Brutal. Donā€™t know where Daukaus goes from here. Thatā€™s 4 losses in a row for him now, all by knockout, 3 of them in the first round. Giving him Rountree as his introduction to 205 seemed a bit rough when it was announced and those concerns were proven right. I liked Rountree calling for a main event next. Why not? In an era where Holly fucking Holm is a perennial Fight Night headliner, thereā€™s no reason why Rountree isnā€™t worthy of at least an Apex main event spot. Fuck it. Loved him saying he wanted a 5 rounder because he feels like thatā€™ll be the ā€œnext challengeā€ for him. I think the challenge is gonna be finding someone who can last 5 rounds with him! Not that heā€™ll win them all but his style is such that either heā€™s gonna spark you or youā€™re gonna have to stop him. I canā€™t even picture what a 25 minute Khalil Rountree fight would look like.

Iasmin Lucindo continues to impress. OK, Polyana Viana is no contender but Lucindo looked good here and at just 21 years old I think sheā€™s got bags of potential. She had that banger against Jauregui in her debut, lost but it was such a good fight it actually felt like she came out with her stock raised. Since then sheā€™s beat Brogan Walker on points and now this submission over Viana. Not groundbreaking wins but itā€™s all experience. And given her age, thereā€™s no rush anyway.

Marcus McGhee looks decent. Won his debut on short notice and follows up with a first round KO.

image.gif.e9c50a572a50dca1a6599c1173d589a6.gif

Canā€™t grumble at that. What an absolutely awful few years itā€™s been for JP Buys though. Since signing with the UFC heā€™s gone 0-4, been stopped in 3 of them and to top it off his wife (fellow fighter Cheyanne Vlismas) left him. He was coming off a big layoff here as well and almost gets Flair Flopped in 2 minutes. Poor get. Heā€™s probably gone now. At just 27, it seems like heā€™s on the scrapheap already.

Terrance McKinney back in the win column with a quick stoppage. The commentators were jizzing over it but, I donā€™t know, Breeden isnā€™t much good and this is what McKinney does. Heā€™s a notorious fast starter. It works well for him to a certain level but I donā€™t see him putting some run together off the back of this. Exciting to watch though and I liked the body shots.

Isaac Dulgarian made a good first impression. Proper battered Francis Marshall to a first round TKO.

image.gif.69dc7a117cd4f1a55b040fbefd89bffe.gif

Marshall had looked good from what Iā€™d seen of him before this and, at 24, I think he was considered a solid prospect. So for Dulgarian to come in and take him out like this was quite impressive. Improves to 6-0, 6 finishes. Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Even the Heavyweights didnā€™t shit these prelims up! I was dreading this fight and my thumb was hovering over the fast forward button from the start but fair play, Martin Buday came to scrap and got the the first round kimura sub.

Jaqueline Amorim looked much better here than she did in her UFC debut. Poor Conejo just never got a look in really. I have vague memories of her grappling being her strong suit but she couldnā€™t cope with Amorim on the ground here. Even when Amorim did get taken down, I liked the sweeps and she got the finish in the end.

Daā€™Mon Blackshear stole the prelims and maybe the show altogether with his twister finish!

image.gif.a2526376182df4b96aa13f3776393b66.gif

Beautiful. Only the third submission via twister in UFC history and he joins Korean Zombie and Bryce Mitchell in the record books. Seen heā€™s stepping in at 292 now so 2 fights in the span of a week. Donā€™t blame him trying to capitalise on the momentum but itā€™s a risky one.

Luana Santos had a decent UFC debut. Wasnā€™t pretty but she got the first round finish and you donā€™t see that very often at Flyweight.

image.gif.c6eeca330f7a9a1f7bf3b0410cb0adf7.gif

Messy but to be expected from a Judo style fighter whoā€™s still learning on the job. She got it done regardless. Juliana Miller has been a right flop since winning TUF though. She looked dominant in the finale but sheā€™s been crap ever since.

OK card. Prelims were better than the main card though and I feel like Iā€™ve said that a few times lately.

Onto 292.

Edited by wandshogun09