UFC Vegas: Vettori vs Cannonier - Jun 17 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Need more Apex in your life? Course you do. 

IMG-4579.jpg

ESPN MAIN CARD
Marvin Vettori vs Jared Cannonier 

Arman Tsarukyan vs Joaquim Silva 

Christian Leroy Duncan vs Armen Petrosyan 

Pat Sabatini vs Lucas Almeida

Nikolas Motta vs Manuel Torres

Muslim Salikhov vs Nicolas Dalby 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Jimmy Flick vs Alessandro Costa

Kyung Ho Kang vs Cristian Quinonez 

Carlos Hernandez vs Denys Bondar

Tereza Bleda vs Gabriella Fernandes

Ronnie Lawrence vs Dan Argueta 

Modestas Bukauskas vs Zac Pauga 

Some alright stuff on there but there really isn’t much to like about this card. There are fighters I like on there but they’re mostly in unappealing matchups. Whatever. Maybe it’ll be a pleasant surprise. Bout order is right as I type but you know it’s gonna change a bunch of times before the day.

IMG-4931.jpg

Marvin Vettori vs Jared Cannonier gets top billing this time. Not a terrible main event by Apex standards, we’ve had a lot worse than this obviously. But I’m not in love with it. Feels like we’ve been seeing some combination of these two along with Strickland and Hermansson rotating fighting each other forever now. To the point I was sure Vettori and Cannonier had already fought before and this was a rematch. They haven’t though. It’s a fresh matchup that for some reason feels anything but fresh.

IMG-9098.jpg

This wally is usually fairly watchable, to be fair. He’s 0-2 down to Izzy Adesanya now so he’s locked out of the title picture for the foreseeable future. And judging by how Robert Whittaker outclassed him on the Paris card last year, I just don’t think he’s ever gonna be on that level. But he’s had some good scraps. The 5 round slobberknocker against Paulo Costa a couple of years ago being the highlight. I loved that fight. Real forgotten banger. He’s also got points wins over Kevin Holland and Jack Hermansson and he’s coming into this fight off another decision in a solid fight against Roman Dolidze on the London show in March. He’s basically falling into that role as a bit of a gatekeeper to the true upper level at Middleweight. Seems thick as mince. That pic there with his shorts on backwards is evidence of that. Andrew Tate fan as well so thick and a cunt. But overall I’d say he’s not a bad fighter, not amazing, but he’ll provide some tests to up and comers and some entertaining fights along the way.

IMG-4982.jpg

Cannonier I’m neither here nor there on really. He definitely made the right move dropping down from Heavyweight to 205 and now 185. He was going nowhere at those higher weights. He’s had more success at 185 than he’d have ever had any higher. Wins over an old Anderson Silva, Hermansson, Kelvin Gastelum, elbowed Derek Brunson into dust last year. Worked his way all the way up to a title shot against Adesanya last summer. But failed miserably and it was a shitty fight. He ‘rebounded’, if you wanna call it that, in December, with a split decision win over Sean Strickland in another Apex classic. Rotten fight that neither man came out of looking good. I remember a lot of people saying Strickland got robbed but it was one of those fights where both men did so little that neither one of them can really have much to gripe about. Hopefully Vettori can drag something more watchable out of him here.

IMG-6062.jpg

Yeah. Can’t say I’ve got particularly high hopes for this one. Like I say, Vettori is usually decent to watch but it feels like Cannonier has really dropped off in his last couple of fights. Maybe it was just a case of the matchups not being compatible with his style. Obviously, Adesanya was just a class above and Strickland is really good at dragging opponents into stinkers. Before those two fights he was doing alright and I don’t recall being bored by him. So maybe this’ll be a return to that kind of form. They’re going nowhere though. With Adesanya as champ again now, this lot are just treading water and ticking over with these fights. Izzy’s already beat most of the ranked 185ers, some twice and others so convincingly or in such dull fashion that nobody wants to see rematches. When Pereira won the belt these guys had an in, but now it’s like they’re fighting for nothing.

IMG-4932.jpg

Arman Tsarukyan vs Joaquim Silva is such an odd piece of matchmaking to me. It really doesn’t make much sense. Didn’t even know this was booked until I just looked the card up to do this post. I literally had to double check because I thought it must be a mistake. I was expecting Tsarukyan to be paired up with a bit of a name in his next fight, and definitely a Top 10 guy. So this is a bit baffling to me.

IMG-2287.jpg

Tsarukyan is one of the most promising rising contenders at Lightweight and has been gradually working his way up to where he’s now ranked #8 in the division. He’s 26 years old with a record of 19-3 and 12 finishes. Gave current champ Islam Makhachev a hell of a fight on short notice in his UFC debut. Since then he’s won 6 of his last 7 fights and the loss was a very controversial decision against Mateusz Gamrot last year. I haven’t rewatched it but I do remember thinking that was a bullshit decision. It was very competitive throughout but I just couldn’t see the argument for Gamrot winning. Most seemed to agree, from fans to media. He then went out in December and completely dominated Damir Ismagulov. Considering Gamrot got a big fight against Beneil Dariush off that ‘win’ over Tsarukyan, you’d think Tsarukyan couldn’t be far off those kind of fights himself. Especially since most had him beating Gamrot and then he went and schooled Ismagulov. But here we are. Silva’s not terrible or anything but he’s not even ranked and he’s lost 3 of his last 5 fights. He did win his last fight in October and got the finish and a POTN bonus. But that was against Jesse Ronson. I don’t get how this fight came together but I’m guessing it’s a case of the top ranked 155ers not wanting the fight. I get why they wouldn’t. It’s the old risk vs reward thing. We see it all the time, especially in the 155 division. But it’s still bollocks.

IMG-4938.jpg

Christian Leroy Duncan vs Armen Petrosyan is ***WAND’S ONE TO WATCH*** here. Slim pickings on this card but I am interested to see Duncan back in there. He made his UFC debut on the London card in March and came in with some buzz around him. There were a few UK newcomers on that card and he was the one who stood out to me going into that show. Undefeated, Cage Warriors champion, good striker etc. His debut didn’t exactly go smoothly though. He was in with Dusko Todorovic, who’s a real slugger, so it had all the makings of a show stealer. But Todorovic injured his leg early on and it was over before it ever got going. Shame but it happens. Hopefully we get to see more of what CLD can do here. Can’t say I remember much about Petrosyan. He’s Armenian, 8-2 with 6 knockouts. Beat AJ Dobson in October, lost to Caio Borralho before that. The most notable thing on his record is his split decision win over our boy Gregory Rodrigues early last year. I know I saw that fight but I can’t recall it. Regardless, my interest here is to get a proper look at CLD.

IMG-8227.jpg

Pat Sabatini vs Lucas Almeida just got thrown together. Almeida was supposed to face Hakeem Dawodu at UFC 289 in Canada but ‘Mean’ Hakeem is out. Tougher fight for Almeida on paper, although maybe the timing is good for him. Sabatini got off to a strong start in the UFC. Didn’t wow anyone but he quietly put together a solid 4 fight win streak and looked like he might be a difficult man to beat going forward. That all went tits up in September when Damon Jackson came in and just blitzed him in a minute. It was a feel-good result for Jackson, who’d just lost his brother, but it completely derailed Sabatini. He’s 17-4 now and 32 years old. It’s not the end of the world and he’s got some time to bounce back. But he could be a bit hesitant or shaky coming into this one. And if he is, Almeida could hand him another loss.

image.gif.af83606d5fd8719e7764e760d36f4efe.gif

That was how Almeida’s UFC debut ended last June. He stopped Mike Trizano in the third round of an unexpected corker of a fight. Instantly got my attention but he’s been on the shelf since for whatever reason. I think he’s had a couple of fights fall apart in the meantime. Hopefully he gets to fight here. He’s 14-1 with 14 finishes, a lot of early finishes on his record so Sabatini might have to weather a storm early. But he’s also gone into the 5th round before as well. Interesting fight, style-wise and with the added factors of the short notice and Sabatini trying to rebound.

IMG-4939.jpg

Nikolas Motta vs Manuel Torres isn’t grabbing me and I’m not really sure why it’s on the main card but whatever. Don’t know much about Motta. He’s 13-4 with 9 knockouts. He finished Cameron VanCamp last time out but got stopped by Jim Miller before that. I know he was supposed to fight Ignacio Bahamondes at UFC 287 in Miami but this happened…

IMG-6009.jpg

🤢 Vile. Torres is Mexican, 13-2 with 12 wins inside the distance. He’s currently on a 4 fight winning streak, stopped Frank Camacho in just 3 minutes in his UFC debut last year but hasn’t fought since. Not much else to say about this one. Not even saying it’ll be a bad fight. I’m not familiar enough with either man to say either way.

IMG-4933.jpg

Muslim Salikhov vs Nicolas Dalby is a decent fight. I really enjoy watching Salikhov. He’s a guy who, between Kickboxing and MMA, has had well over 200 professional fights and it shows in the way he carries himself. He’s so calm and calculated in there, almost to a fault sometimes. There’s been times when he seems happy to just coast in there and not really gone for the kill. That certainly wasn’t the case in his last fight though. He took on Andre Fialho in November and put a proper beating on him. It all started with this Superman punch…

image.gif.a04fdaa277eb479ed32707096ed1af2f.gif

Fialho was all over the place after that, wobbly legs and wasn’t quite right from that point on. I remember his cornermen kept asking him if he was OK between rounds then early into the next round this fucking helicopter propeller of a spinning kick connected and it was a wrap…

image.gif.b74f2def8689fa63ebcca1b51a1ec09d.gif

Scary kick. You could see it wobbled his whole skull. It’s a testament to how tough Fialho is that he still never went completely out from that kick but the ref was right to jump in and save him there. He was fucked up. I’ve got time for Salikhov. He’s not gonna be making waves in the rankings, he’s 38 and he’s come unstuck a couple of times in the UFC already. But he’s a good gatekeeper type in the Trinaldo mould. Dalby’s also 38 and has a record of 21-4-1-2. He’s alright but he hasn’t been that great to watch in this UFC stint. I do remember he had really good fight with Darren Till of all people back in 2015 and then he had that mad bloodbath in Cage Warriors. But he hasn’t blown me away since returning to the Octagon. He’s coming off a couple of decision wins over Claudio Silva and Warlley Alves here. I’m hoping Salikhov can get the best out of him here and get another win.

IMG-8231.jpg

Jimmy Flick vs Alessandro Costa might be worth a look. Both will be coming in with a point to prove here after both were stopped in their last outings. Flick came into the UFC in late 2020, having won the LFA title and getting a win on DWCS. He came in and immediately turned heads in his Octagon debut, submitting Cody Durden in a round with a flying triangle choke of all things. Couldn’t have gone better for him but then he surprised everyone by prematurely retiring. I don’t know why but I think he had personal family stuff going on. He decided to return and came back in January this year but got swiftly finished by Charles Johnson. It always sounded like a potentially tricky return fight for him but the way it played out was a disaster. Still think there’s better to come from Flick but we’ll see. Costa’s 12-3 with 9 finishes but got fed to Amir Albazi in his UFC debut in December and got knocked out in the third round.

IMG-4935.jpg

Kyung Ho Kang vs Cristian Quinonez is just there. I don’t have a strong opinion on it one way or another so I’ll just go through the motions. I’m hazy on Kang. He’s 35 years old, South Korean and 18-9-0-1 with 13 finishes. He beat Danaa Batgerel on points in his last fight but that was a whole year ago now at UFC 275 in Singapore last June. Quinonez is 27 years old, Mexican and has a record of 18-3 with 13 finishes. He won his UFC debut on the Paris card back in September, a first round TKO over Khalid Taha. That’s about it. Don’t really care but the 90s WWF fan in me will be rooting for Kang. Purely because Wiki has his nicknames down as ‘Mr Perfect’ and ‘Typhoon’.

IMG-8233.jpg

Carlos Hernandez vs Denys Bondar. Dunno. Might be alright, the Flyweights usually bring it to be fair, but I haven’t seen enough of either. Hernandez is 29 years old and 8-2 with 4 submissions. He beat Victor Altamirano in his UFC debut but got subbed by Allan Nascimento in a round last time out. Bondar’s Ukrainian, 30 years old and 14-3 with all his wins coming inside the distance. He lost to Malcolm Gordon in his UFC debut last year via arm injury and hasn’t fought since. Not a clue on this one.

IMG-4945.jpg

Tereza Bleda vs Gabriella Fernandes. Again, I don’t know enough about these two to rate them. My only memory of Bleda is her UFC debut where she ducked into that brutal spin kick KO from Natalia Silva. Not the best first impression but aside from that, she’s Czech, 21 years old and 6-1 with 4 finishes. Fernandes is 8-2 with 5 finishes. She lost on points to Jasmine Jasudavicius in her UFC debut in February but I think I skipped that one. I’ll most likely skip this as well if I’m being honest.

IMG-8236.jpg

Ronnie Lawrence vs Dan Argueta could be a bit of a sleeper actually. I’ve really enjoyed some of Lawrence’s fights so far. He had an absolute barnburner against Mana Martinez last year that went under the radar. It was on the undercard of Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 so I guess it got lost in the discussion of that fight but it was ace. If you missed it, give it a watch. He got beat pretty convincingly by Saidyokub Kakhramonov in his last fight though and he’s been on the sidelines close to a year since for whatever reason. This is a tough fight for him to come back to as well. Argueta is 9-1 with 6 finishes, a standout wrestler and was the LFA champion. He dropped a decision to Damon Jackson in his UFC debut but that was on short notice. He came back in January with a points win over Nick Aguirre.

IMG-4936.jpg

Modestas Bukauskas vs Zac Pauga. Again, just filler really. Can’t say I’m too fussed about it. I was happy to see Bukauskas make it back to the UFC though. If you remember, he got released in 2021 after 3 losses and immediately after having his knee kicked backwards by Khalil Rountree. It was a long road back for him but he went away and got a couple of wins in Cage Warriors, won their title, then returned to the UFC on the Makhachev vs Volkanovski undercard in February and beat Tyson Pedro on enemy soil in Australia. All I remember of Pauga is him getting sparked by Mo Usman in the TUF finals and his fucking abysmal fight with Jordan Wright in February. Can’t see me tuning in early for this fight but I hope Bukauskas wins.

A-P-E-X 💩 

IMG_6061.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bollocks. Zhalgas fight in the bin. 

Miles Johns is out of the Barcelos fight as well. I know it comes with the territory in combat sports but I’m proper sick of these pullouts now. Every single fight week without fail. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That tweet genuinely had me chuckling. In a sport where the standard method is to shoot your mouth off about how hard or amazing you are, and making outrageous and offensive statements, it's truly refreshing to see someone just go all-in with the downright daft approach, not to mention that it sort of mocks Pimblett too.

I'm a shallow creature, but I'd like to see Zhalgas do well now.

EDIT: Just saw a reply tweet - someone's called him "Zhaddy the Baddy"!

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

It's truly refreshing to see someone just go all-in with the downright daft approach

I don't think its a daft approach though, i think the guy just genuinely thinks he has a great hair cut.

• Paid Members

Apex stench all over this, bit of a slog and a I didnt see the main event, how was that?

Really disappointed with the Christian Leroy Duncan performance, he fought like a guy who had a point to prove but also like he believed he was a level above Petrosyan, he paid for it. None of his flashy shit worked. I'm still a fan though.

• Paid Members
On 6/19/2023 at 7:49 AM, Egg Shen said:

I didnt see the main event, how was that?

Better than expected, to be fair. I really wasn’t looking forward to it and it wasn’t a classic or anything, won’t be in the running for FOTY either, but it was a lot more enjoyable to watch than I thought it would be. Maybe the best performance of Cannonier’s career as well.

image.gif.3fb502fc71cb71781fc59cf8d7394391.gif

IMG-6046.jpg

Apparently he broke the record for most significant strikes in a fight in Middleweight history or something. A stark contrast to his pitiful output against Adesanya in their title fight last year but obviously the opponent has a lot to do with that. Vettori’s not the best but I thought he’d have enough to beat Cannonier in this one based on recent performances from both. But Cannonier pretty much used him for target practice for 25 minutes. Vettori’s stupidly tough. Or is he just stupid? Seems like he’s just too thick to register damage. Not a clue what’s next for either man. Feels like they’ve both pretty much fought everyone already, including the champ. Seen some talk about Cannonier vs Khamzat Chimaev but that doesn’t sound like a fight they’ll make. I could swear that the last I read about Chimaev was his next fight was still gonna be at 170.

Arman Tsarukyan fight wasn’t quite the squash I expected. Well, it was for the vast majority of the fight but Tsarukyan had to get through a rocky patch…

image.gif.ddda2c3d23429e133bf63f41bd2c1163.gif

Really thought we were heading for the upset for a second there but he was able to weather it, recover and put a beating on Silva to force the stoppage in the next round. 

image.gif.a74946f10b310711cab49a69c77ecb3f.gif

Better fight than it sounded on paper and fair play to Silva for nearly flipping the script but apart from that he got fucked up. To look at social media you’d think Tsarukyan’s a bum now. This was almost a no win situation for him. He got tagged but he responded the way any legit fighter should and came back to get the finish himself. If you fight for a living you’re gonna get hit at some point. Just like if you go out in the rain you’re gonna get wet. You obviously never want to get rocked but these are questions a fighter has to answer on the way up. And all in all, I thought this was encouraging from Tsarukyan if anything. Showed he can take a shot if he has to but also that he won’t mentally unravel if he gets hurt.

Not sure what’s next for Tsarukyan after this. I know he called out Chandler but I can’t see that happening. Even aside from the latest rape allegations McGregor’s got on his plate at the moment, I’m sure I read the other day that the USADA deadline is almost up now to get that fight on in 2023. As many expected, it’s looking more and more likely that McGregor vs Chandler won’t end up happening. But even still, I highly doubt Chandler goes from McGregor to Tsarukyan. No chance. The other name I’m seeing most frequently is Beneil Dariush. I think that’s much more realistic and I’d love to see Tsarukyan vs Dariush. Give them 5 rounds on a Fight Night around Oct/Nov time and I’ll be well happy with that.

Agree with Ebb on the Armen Petrosyan vs Christian Leroy Duncan fight. Frustrating to watch. I’m sure everyone’s shitting all over CLD after this and it wasn’t great to watch but he seems to have one of those styles, a bit like MVP, where he’s probably gonna look incredible some nights and shite others. That kind of style isn’t gonna mesh with everyone. Wasn’t the kind of performance that’s gonna win him many fans though, and a loss to boot.

Manuel Torres scored one of my favourite knockouts of the year so far.

image.gif.95e62e07969554b09139cc3784aa4341.gif

Jesus fuck! I’m a sucker for an elbow KO and this was a beauty. Wasn’t as pretty as Lorenz Larkin’s in Bellator earlier in the year but it was proper highlight reel stuff. Like Felder on commentary, I thought it was a punch until they showed the replays. Torres wasn’t really on my radar before this but I’ll definitely be checking for his next fight whenever that is.

Alessandro Costa rebounded very nicely from the Albazi loss in his debut. That was a harsh debut for him but he’d jumped in on short notice and gambled a bit. It didn’t pay off but he looked good here. Can’t grumble at answering a loss with a decisive TKO victory. Jimmy Flick can’t catch a break though. He couldn’t have asked for a more perfect UFC debut a few years ago, winning quick by flying triangle. But he’s come back from his early retirement and immediately been stopped twice on the bounce. Losing your first fight back you can maybe chalk up to ring rust, but to go 0-2 and getting stopped in both? Not looking good.

Kyung Ho Kang has been on the roster donkeys years and is usually instantly forgettable but he had a strong showing here.

image.gif.6becf682d6507a1a302ef58c477c5d8e.gif

Breezed through Quinonez in a couple of minutes. Easily the most impressive performance I’ve seen out of Kang in his 10 nothing happening years in the UFC. He won’t go on a run now, of course, he’s coming up on 36 years old which is long in the tooth for a Bantamweight. But if he’s gonna stick around on these Fight Night cards, I’d like to see more of this out of him.

Carlos Hernandez vs Denys Bondar turned into a right mess by the time it was over. It was a good fight as well, just a shame it got marred by how it ended.

image.gif.767b428bbee23bbeb2af61538d32612c.gif

Fucking brutal! First of all, the referee Jerin Valel had a mare all around. Not taking a point from Bondar for the illegal knee earlier on was dodgy enough but that stoppage there was awful. Bondar was out as soon as they hit the canvas and then ate 7 unanswered elbows before the ref saw fit to wave it off. What the fuck? And after all that, it gets changed to a ‘technical decision’ for Hernandez instead of a knockout because of the clash of heads on the slam. 

Not as shite a card as I expected, to be fair. I was quite negative about it going in and it’s taken me a couple of days to muster up the energy to watch most of it. But it was alright. Main event surpassed my low expectations and there were a couple of cracking finishes throughout the rest of the card. Not great but not as bad as it looked on paper. 

Edited by wandshogun09