Bellator 285 - Henderson vs. Queally (Sept. 23rd)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

the other talking point i forgot to mention was the submission in the opener. Luca Poclit submitted Dante Schiro with some shit, i dunno what the hell this is:

I don't even think Poclit did that on purpose, he was just stuck in a position and it just fell into place. They christened it after his name post-fight. The worrying thing was, people seem to think Schiro was unconscious for 14 seconds before the ref stopped it. The ref. was pretty relaxed about the whole thing and probably should have checking the arm much sooner, but it was such a strange position. Scary.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

In an absolute shite heap with a scauldy head on me from far, far too many drinks last night but can confirm a few things before I give me full review from what we're probably the best seats I've ever, ever sat in at anything...ever...as soon as I have the brainpower. 

1) Ebb is bang on there. The atmosphere was great at both book ends of the fights, between fights and then ludicrously subdued as the fights were happening. 

2) That Poclit sub was grim. We stood there actually thinking he'd snapped his neck or something. Just so odd. 

3) I can confirm that Yoel Romero is actually a real person. He is. And he came out during the Queally fight and shook hands with a few of us. Can also confirm his handshake grip is everything you expect it would be. 

4) Wonderful shot of me and the boy during the Ciaran Clarke (who I absolutely adore) ring announcements. I'm clapping enthusiastically in a shirt that I always assumed looked very nice on me and now I realise, it really doesn't, and the boy looking like he's being told a few bits of information at once while trying to eat popcorn. 

Edit - 5) I was sat right beside Sean Sheehan and I can also confirm the back of his neck is utterly fascinating. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It really looks like Kuato from Total Recall is in there. Truly, not body shaming but I saw him being an arrogant rude prick a few times over the years, and it is truly a fascinating body part. 

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Yeah, weird. I just checked it myself, it’s not in the the Bellator bit under the Sports category. And I even tried going to the BBC Three section on there and go back to Friday’s schedule, look for Bellator 285 and it just says ‘not available’. They’re usually up almost immediately after the shows.

That Poclit sub was terrifying. When people talk of potential deaths in MMA, you either picture the obvious bad KO that ends in tragedy or someone dying as a result of a horrible weight cut. But all I could think watching that submission was ‘this is how a cage death happens’. Thank fuck Schiro came out of it alright but Christ.

Bendo vs Queally was a bit flat but Bendo was clearly leagues above in skills, even at this stage of his career. I don’t mind Queally but he was well out of his depth here.

Agree with Ebb on Leah McCourt as well. I think the only fight I’ve enjoyed of hers was the Kavanagh one. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure she won this fight. Not like I was paying close attention to the scoring, not a lot was happening and they’d kind of lost me by about halfway through the second round. But I felt like Silva might’ve done enough when it was over. Two of the judges giving McCourt 30-27 certainly felt off to me. Seemed like a bit of homefield bias from the judges to me.

Romero vs Manhoef was bittersweet but it was always gonna be. Never caught fire for the first couple of rounds but Yoel’s fights often go like that. It was proper edge of the seat stuff though because you know how dangerous they both are. Third Round Yoel did it again though. Those elbows were fucking horrid. By that point I wanted Melvin to make it to the final bell, just as a bit of a moral victory, but he probably would’ve seen that as evidence he could fight on. Hopefully the way this ended will convince him to stick to calling it a day. End of an era. Been a fan of Manhoef forever. 

What an absolute nutcase Yoel is though 🤣

6216C31C-5AFD-4C1C-A063-80461470C4DC.gif

Edited by wandshogun09