UFC Vegas: Lemos vs Andrade - Apr 23 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Another night at the Apex on the 23rdā€¦

2-AC2-CE25-2054-451-B-A6-C4-E1-CC2-F9-D9

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Amanda Lemos vs Jessica AndradeĀ 

Clay Guida vs Claudio PuellesĀ 

Maycee Barber vs Montana De La Rosa

Charles Jourdain vs Lando Vannata

Jordan Wright vs Marc-Andre Barriault

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMSĀ 
Dwight Grant vs Sergey Khandozhko

Tyson Pedro vs Ike Villanueva

Aori Qileng vs Cameron Else

Preston Parsons vs Evan ElderĀ 

Marcin Prachnio vs Philipe LinsĀ 

Dean Barry vs Mike JacksonĀ 

Ā 

Not much of a card but thereā€™s stuff worth watching to cherry pick there. Not the strongest main event and Iā€™m seeing a bit of moaning about it but the fight itself should be fireworks. Couple of bits and pieces further down the card I like but itā€™s one to just skim through on Sunday morning over a fry up.

Ā 

28-B4-E062-1-B77-4-D9-B-9-FAC-799789-C70

Amanda Lemos vs Jessica Andrade tops the bill. Iā€™ve seen pretty much 100% negative reaction to this. I know itā€™s the done thing now that any time a womenā€™s fight headlines a card it gets shat on, but I donā€™t hate this one. If youā€™ve watched either of these two before youā€™ll know this has a fairly high chance of being a banger.

B474-E9-CE-8-D13-4-FFF-8-B1-C-8385-B694-

We all know about Andrade. Former UFC champion. Wins over Rose Namajunas, Claudia Gadelha, Karolina Kowalkiewicz, Tecia Torres, Joanne Wood etc. Fun fighter to watch. Aggressive as fuck, always looking for the finish, just a little tank. Iā€™ve said it before but she reminds me of a female John Lineker and for anyone whoā€™s read my posts in these threads over the years, you know of my love for Lineker. Andradeā€™s ace. Sheā€™s had her ups and downs and her aggression sometimes works against her but her only losses in recent years have been to the absolute best in the division - Shevchenko, Namajunas, Zhang - so thereā€™s no shame there. In her last couple of wins sheā€™s stopped Katlyn Chookagian and Cynthia Calvillo, who are usually fairly tricky to put away. Sheā€™s most likely not gonna win UFC gold again but sheā€™s basically the gatekeeper to that title mix at this point.Ā 

87-D6-EB37-FC10-493-E-869-F-9-A237-B61-A

Iā€™m guessing Lemos is the reason for most of the indifference to this booking. And I just think thatā€™s mostly because she isnā€™t very well known. I havenā€™t seen a ton of her myself but Iā€™ve seen enough. From what I recall she seems to be cut from a similar cloth to Andrade. Doesnā€™t fuck about and goes for the kill as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Sheā€™s 11-1-1, on a 5 fight winning streak, put Livia Renata Souza and Montserrat Conejo away in the first round and got a decision over Angela Hill in a FOTN winner in December. I remember that being a really exciting fight but I think I had Hill winning. Whatever the case, this is a big opportunity for Lemos. Her first time under the spotlight of a UFC main event and against a former champ who, on paper, has a style that should make for a great matchup. Itā€™ll probably go and be inexplicably shite now Iā€™ve talked it up but I really think the ingredients are there for a hell of a scrap here.

Basically, Iā€™m all for calling a shit main event a shit main event when itā€™s a shit main event. I was probably the harshest on here when cack like Ladd vs Dumont and Calvillo vs Eye got the headline treatment. But this should be a fun one. I donā€™t recall ever seeing a dull Andrade fight and Lemos isnā€™t shy about trying to take heads off herself.

Ā 

2-BA8-ECED-7802-40-DB-8-C77-1-C7-D7-ACCB

Clay Guida vs Claudio Puelles. Worth a look. Iā€™ve always got time for a Guida fight. Heā€™s nowhere near as exciting to watch as he was years ago but I think anyone who was watching in the mid to late 2000s has a soft spot for the scruffy get. Those wars with Tyson Griffin, Roger Huerta and Diego Sanchez are classics. The fight with Bendo is a forgotten gem as well. Iā€™ve said it before but I think him kind of taming his style a bit is whatā€™s given him such longevity. Yeah, the fights arenā€™t as crazy and fun to watch but itā€™s extended his career big time. Heā€™s 40 years old now and, while heā€™s never getting a sniff of a title shot in the UFC, heā€™s not embarrassing himself out there either.

2-EF2-D97-C-8745-4-B5-D-BB48-3-A899-B286

He submitted BJJ black-belt Leonardo Santos in his last fight in December. And for all my talk of him fighting more conservatively these days, this was kind of a throwback to the old ā€˜Caveman Clayā€™ days. He was getting his arse kicked bad early on before rallying back with the sub. Barely remember Puelles, to be honest. Heā€™s 25 years old, 11-2 and on a 4 fight streak. Submitted Chris Gruetzemacher with a kneebar in his last outing. Seems to like that finish, 3 of his 11 wins are by kneebar. Heā€™s also the only man to date who holds a win over Jordan Leavitt, who I rate. These old vs young matchups are pretty much always designed to build up the new blood but I think Clayā€™s shown heā€™s still got something in the tank so this might be good.

Ā 

9-D0-C2125-AAA4-4-ED5-B53-D-0-C6-DA724-D

Maycee Barber vs Montana De La Rosa. Not that arsed about this but it might be alright. Iā€™ve never really bought into the Barber hype though. Sheā€™s not awful or anything but I never really saw her as some big prospect. I think that talk was mostly just because she came in so young. Sheā€™s still only 23 now, sheā€™s had some decent wins over your Gillian Robertson and JJ Aldrich types but she got found lacking when she stepped up against the crafty veteran in Roxanne Modafferi and the more technical striker in Alexa Grasso. Back-to-back losses. Sheā€™s since bounced back with a points win over Miranda Maverick but Iā€™m sure I had Maverick winning that one. I might be wrong but I recall that being a dodgy decision. De La Rosaā€™s nothing special herself though. She was on TUF a few years ago, the forgettable season that Nicco Montano won, and has done very little since. Sheā€™s 12-6-1 now and coming off a TKO over Ariane Lipski last June, which was probably her best showing yet. Maybe itā€™ll be a pleasant surprise but my hopes arenā€™t high. Theyā€™re both still young but I just donā€™t see either doing much in the Flyweight division.

Ā 

7-DEC3-E59-1-F2-A-458-C-88-D6-5-E1-BDDD6

Charles Jourdain vs Lando Vannata is one of the front runners to bag FOTN, I reckon. Neither man is making a run at gold in the UFCā€™s Featherweight division but itā€™s such a fun matchup. Jourdain is an entertaining fighter who came in with a bit of hype as possibly Canadaā€™s next breakout star. A position theyā€™ve been trying and failing to fill since GSP retired. It hasnā€™t worked out for Jourdain. Heā€™s only 26 but heā€™s not had a very smooth start on the big stage. Heā€™s 12-4-1 now and has shown little flashes of real potential in his wins over the Korean Superboy, Marcelo Rojo and Andre Ewell but those wins have been surrounded by losses and draws so thereā€™s been zero momentum there. Still, heā€™s got a fan friendly style so this pairing should work really well. Landoā€™s a wild one. Again, never gonna be a contender but heā€™s must see for me. Ever since he had that barmy short notice debut against Tony Ferguson years ago. His spinning kick KO over John Makdessi was spectacular, he had two cracking fights with Bobby Green and a hidden gem with Matt Frevola as well. Itā€™s a nothing fight really but itā€™s evenly matched and could well steal the show. Great way to kick off the main card.

Ā 

13-C32-AC2-E17-A-41-F6-8498-86-CDAD509-D

Jordan Wright vs Marc-Andre Barriault. Another one thatā€™s not really working for me, brother. Just never really got into eitherā€™s fights. Wrightā€™s 12-2-0-1 and my only real memories of him are when Joaquin Buckley and Bruno Silva bashed him around. And Barriault came in as a two weight champ in the TKO promotion in Canada but has been mostly underwhelming in the UFC. Lost his first 3, got popped by USADA, won a couple then got chinned in 16 seconds by Chidi Njokuani last time out. Theyā€™re not even the worst on the roster so this is probably unfair, but this has the feel of a jobber vs jobber match to me. Barry Horowitz vs Duane Gill shit.

Ā 

03136998-35-E5-4-F6-E-8-A6-D-464-F6653-E

Dwight Grant vs Sergey Khandozhko. OK fight, nothing special. I was quite high on Grant for a little spell a few years ago. He did beat Alan Jouban but mostly it was based off this peach of a KO over Carlo Pedersoliā€¦

image.gif.1828d6357115962aeac25488af4355c6.gif

What a shot! I probably overrated Grant for a bit solely off the strength of my love for that knockout. In 2022 though, heā€™s 37 years old, a mediocre 11-4 and coming off a points loss to Francisco Trinaldo. Thereā€™s worse on the roster but itā€™s not getting any better for him at this stage in the game, is it? Iā€™m really hazy on Khandozhko. Heā€™s fought in the UFC a few times but heā€™s been out of action now since 2019. At a glance heā€™s got a decent enough record of 26-6-1 and 17 finishes but most of his opposition is unknown and now after well over 2 years on the shelf, who the fuck knows?

Ā 

7-BC9-CE6-E-B96-C-481-F-88-C4-13-A5-F1-B

Tyson Pedro vs Ike Villanueva. Theyā€™ve dug up Tyson Pedro! Genuinely thought heā€™d been released ages ago but thinking back, the last time we saw him was that loss to Shogun in late 2018 and he messed his knee up. He never got sacked at all, heā€™s just been battling injuries ever since. Apparently he was scheduled to fight in 2020 but got hurt again. Disaster. I remember quite liking him. Seemed a sound bloke. Little meaningless trivia fact as well, heā€™s actually Tai Tuivasaā€™s brother-in-law. Heā€™s never gonna amount to much though, sadly. Heā€™s only 30 now but heā€™s 7-3 and now coming off a massive layoff and a horrible run of injuries. He didnā€™t look like a huge prospect before the injuries so itā€™s hard to imagine him going on some big run now. On paper, Villanuevaā€™s the ideal type of comeback fight for Pedro. A 38 year old brawler whoā€™s coming off two stoppage losses. Heā€™s usually in exciting, sloppy slobberknockers but Pedro should have the advantages technically. Huge questions on how rusty he is though and if his confidence has taken a knock. Weā€™ve seen with guys like Rashad Evans and Thiago Santos that knee injuries can seriously fuck you up, physically and mentally. Itā€™d be nice to see him come back with a win though.

Ā 

D2077631-40-E0-42-E1-B6-DE-A3-E111-EB308

Aori Qileng vs Cameron Else. Kind of looking forward to this actually, purely because I absolutely loved Aori Qilengā€™s fight with Jeff Molina about a year ago. Seriously, if you missed it get it watched. Legitimately one of my favourite fights of 2021, despite them not being ā€˜namesā€™. He lost a decision to that little ballbag Cody Durden in his next fight so heā€™s probably not gonna go too far but that Molina fight was something else. Heā€™s 18-9 now and 0-2 in the UFC. Else is from the UK but fights out of Jackson-Wink in Albuquerque and heā€™s 10-5 with 10 finishes. He made his UFC debut back in 2020 and got ragged about and TKOā€™d by Kyler Phillips.

Ā 

407-D8499-6-DDE-4-D37-A8-FE-BB3-BF51-B9-

Preston Parsons vs Evan Elder. Dunno really. Not overly familiar with either of these two. Parsons is 9-3 with all 9 wins coming via submission. Only saw him once, his UFC debut, and it wasnā€™t exactly ideal circumstances. He stepped in against Daniel Rodriguez on short notice in July, after Kevin Lee dropped out. He got TKOā€™d in a round but, like I say, late notice and Rodriguez is a handful at the best of times.Ā Elder is making his UFC debut on just a few days notice here, filling in for Louis Cosce. Heā€™s 25 years old and undefeatedĀ at 7-0Ā with 5 inside the distance. Heā€™s also from Stockton, California and is a product of the Nick Diaz Academy.

Ā 

A81-E9767-2915-4-A2-D-8-D38-BFBECB74-B15

Marcin Prachnio vs Philipe Lins. Nothing happening fight really. I remember Prachnio murdering Ike Villanueva with a nasty body kick in his last fight, to be fair, but nothing else about him. Heā€™s 15-5 and he does have a win over Khalil Rountree as well that I donā€™t recall at all. Mustā€™ve been one of Rountreeā€™s off nights. And Lins is 14-5, fought in Bellator and PFL for a bit before signing with the UFC but heā€™s gone 0-2 in the Octagon with losses to Arlovski and Boser. He hasnā€™t fought since 2020 either. Not doing it for me.

Ā 

B797-DDAA-9-FEA-46-C2-88-D9-6-DAEC54-EE6

Dean Barry vs Mike Jackson. Well, well, well. Didnā€™t expect to ever see Jackson back in the UFC. For those that have forgot, heā€™s the guy who was brought inĀ at 0-0Ā and beat CM Punk on points in Punkā€™s second (and last) UFC fight.

93-A81-EEB-3473-4-E06-A48-B-374-D7-DC442

The fight was rotten and drew a lot of criticism. Most of it directed at Dana for booking such a fight on a PPV, and the rest of it directed at Jackson for the way he fought. I havenā€™t watched the fight since it happened but I think the crux of it was basically that people felt like Jackson couldā€™ve finished Punk but dragged it out to make a point. Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the case though. I think Jackson was just that shite. But still better than Punk. Dana wasnā€™t happy with Jackson. At all.

ā€œI donā€™t know what the guy did for a living before we gave him this shot, but whatever it was he needs to go back and do that again. Heā€™s 0-2 as far as Iā€™m concerned. Thatā€™s it for his UFC career. I wouldnā€™t put that kid in the Contender Series.ā€ - Dana White

Well, heā€™s back. And even more odd, thisā€™ll be his first fight since that Punk mess all the way back in June 2018. So itā€™s not like heā€™s gone away, grafted and got some wins to redeem himself. Whatā€™s changed? Odd. Yoel Romeroā€™s gone, Rumble Johnsonā€™s gone, the Pettis brothers are gone, Mighty Mouse is gone, John Lineker is gone. But fear not, Mike ā€˜The Truthā€™ Jackson is back! Dean Barry gets the honour of sharing the Octagon with him here. Heā€™s Irish, 29 years old and 4-1 with 4 knockouts. Heā€™s coming off a 21 second finish on a Titan FC card in December. Thinking back, I remember they attempted to book this very same fight a while back but it got delayed. Think Barryā€™s debut got pushed back for some reason. Donā€™t know why theyā€™re insisting on this specific matchup and bringing Jackson back but whatever. If Barry has anything, absolutely anything about him he should be winning this without much hassle.Ā 

Itā€™ll do, I guess. Passes another week while we wait for 274.Ā 

428BE2F7-B6F6-415F-80B8-577016963680.gif

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That Barry/Jackson fight is baffling me.

Barry's had a bit of a nightmare getting to the UFC but I don't think he's seen as anything special coming in. He's only fought 5 times since his 2017 debut, and only beaten one guy with a winning record. He seems an odd choice for the UFC to begin with, then they have him fighting Jackson who Dana said would never fight in the UFC again, just a weird fight, but I want to see it.

Barry is also a 1/12 favorite, which are about as wide a set of odds that ive ever seen for a fight between 2 men in the UFC.

I gotta do some digging.

Ā 

• Paid Members

New fight week. So of course, two fights have already dropped off this one.

ā€¢ Tanner Boser is injured and out of his fight with Alexandr Romanov.

ā€¢ Louis Cosce has tested positive for COVID and his fight with Preston Parsons is off.Ā 

As far as I can tell, the plan is to keep Romanov and Parsons on the card and get replacements in but weā€™ll see.Ā 

• Paid Members

Sherman just got released recently so this is his way to get his foot back in the door. Heā€™s got himself a new contract and a pay increase out of it as well apparently.

Double pay. So heā€™s probably getting a whole grand and 2 Just Eat vouchers now for this loss heā€™s about to take.Ā