Bellator 264 - Mousasi vs. Salter (13th August)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

tomorrow...

Bellator-264-Picks.jpg.c3c6cf060982fbb520548e5d80e10414.jpg

20210812_125127.thumb.jpg.8e201a2b68739ebb8ff7d93fefc361a9.jpg

I believe a couple of the prelims there have dropped off, but the main card is in tact and looking good.

Mousasi/Salter is hardly a fight that leaps out as Salter has always been a fairly unsung Middleweight. He's basically Bellator's Middleweight Jon Fitch, little fan fair, but hes just kept winning to the point that Bellator can no loner deny him. The difference between Salter and Fitch being, despite ground based styles, Salter is a finisher, just 1 of his 22 fights have gone the distance.

This feels like a trap fight for Mousasi to me. Mousasi's a guy who's motivation gets continually questioned, and if he goes in not switched on he may come unstuck. Good fight

Magomed Magomedov returns (the guy who has a win over Petr Yan). Hes fighting 2 time NCAA Division II Champ Raufeon Stots. This is a big fight at Bantamweight. #3 vs. #4 thats what we want.

Wanna see Davion Franklin too. Hes some Jackson-Wink project. Only 3-0 and given some kind of scholarship by the gym after his football career. 

Koreshkov/Homasi too could be fireworks. Koreshkov surprisingly not ranked at 170lb, his last fight was out of the promotion but i dont think he was ever cut.

Fights.

• Paid Members

Yeah and Salter’s got a style that has been problematic for Mousasi in the past. And like you say, maybe not the type of name Mousasi will be ‘up’ for. Interesting one that. Definite banana skin feel to it.

Didn’t realise Magomedov was fighting this week. I’ll be watching that.

Haven’t seen Koreshkov for a bit either but always quite liked him. Should be a good fight. Homasi’s fight with Paul Daley was one of the best fights so far this year for me. 

Pretty solid event. I know it gets brought up nearly every event, but Mauro's hair is truely something to behold. As for the fights, Gwerder/Bestaev was lots of fun. Franklin's rep as a must see heavyweight gained more steam. I know its way early in his career, but he seems to have that Ngannou type vibe about him, where his power just seems insane. He seems to move really well for a guy whose 6'3 and 265lb as well.

Koreshkov and Moose just showed their class in their respective fights. Showed that they were on a different level to the opposition. The longer the fights went, the more obvious the difference in class became. Both good scraps, though.

• Paid Members

yep, outside of fairly anti-climatic main event the main card here was quality.

The Stots/Magomedov fight was brilliant. Thats a fight that needed to go 5 and hopefully we'll get to see that one day. Bit of an upset too, Stots looks great, bit of a character too.

Immediately became a fan of Bestaev. Just a strange, gangly weird puzzle to solve. Another quality fight with Gwerder. Everyone seemed surprised at the decision, including Bestaev.

Andrey Koreshkov smushed Homasi, this was all about levels.

Salter was disappointing in the main event. He had a good first round but seemed to blow his load. Salter's record of early finishes kind of shows that hes an all or nothing fighter. Survive that opener and he's there for the taking. Mousasi is just a legend.

Mousadi/Vanderford next. I like that.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I was chuffed with Mousasi winning. By the time I got around to watching this I’d talked myself into thinking Salter was gonna win. I like the Vanderford fight as well. I think Austin’s skills get overlooked or downplayed by some because he’s ‘Mr Paige VanZant’, the Marc Mero to Paige’s Sable etc. But the few times I’ve seen him he’s looked legit. It’s a massive opportunity for him as well facing a respected name like Mousasi. 

• Paid Members

yeh, Salter was real disappointing. He had a bit of a deer in the headlights look about him, dont think he had much belief that he could win.

Vanderford is a similar challenge for Mousasi but you expect him to have way better cardio and be way more explosive. Never been more than 3 rounds though.