UFC Ottawa: Iaquinta vs Cowboy - May 4 šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah Iā€™d rank this as probably his best career performance. Thereā€™s been other fights whereā€™s looked proper ā€œin the zoneā€ in the past. Like the Matt Brown and Jim MillerĀ fights. And he also got big finishes in those ones. I remember heĀ looked really on point against Jeremy Stephens as well. But Iā€™d rate Iaquinta higher than all of those guys. So when you factor in quality of opposition, it was probably his careerĀ best performance yet for me. He looked fucking great, and against a younger, in form, confident and hard as fuck opponent. Really impressive.Ā 

Mad as well that Cerrone is doing this as aĀ 36 yearĀ old lightweight. For a 155er to be improving at 36 is a rare thing. Especially one whoā€™s had the amount of fights Cowboy has. His unexpected surge has kind of reminded me of Robbie Lawlerā€™s rise to the title a few years ago where a bunch of circumstances seem to have created the perfect storm at the rightĀ time. Back in 2013,Ā Lawler was coming back to the UFC, had just had a kid, was dropping back to 170 after years of hit and miss resultsĀ at 185 in Strikeforce and had recently joined ATT. The timing of the changes freshening him up, the drop to 170 forcing him to work harder and the renewed motivation of his son being born and getting another unexpected crack at the UFC seemed to be just the perfect mix and it all came at pretty much the same time. Similarly, Cerrone has recentlyĀ became a dad, heā€™sĀ dropped back to 155, and there was the whole split with Jackson-Wink which sounded like a bad experience for him and he seems much happier with his current camp set-up. Whatever heā€™s doing, itā€™s obviously working for him.Ā 

Iā€™dĀ love to see him go all the way now and win the belt. What a mad story that would be after all the ups and downs. I canā€™t see it happening though, sadly. I wouldnā€™t completely write his chances offĀ and on this current form I actually think Iā€™d fancy him to beat McGregor and Iā€™d have Poirier and Gaethje as pretty much both coin flips. So heā€™s right there or thereabouts. Itā€™s not like heā€™s nowhere near the gold. But I just donā€™t see him beating Khabib or Ferguson. And youā€™re going to have to go through one of them to get that title. I can see him at least getting the shot or even maybe holding an interim strap at some point but while Khabib and Ferguson are knocking about I find it hard to picture anyone else as the legit undisputed champion for a while. Such a great division thoughĀ and on any given day, you just never know when fighters of this quality are all mixing it up.Ā 

• Paid Members

If he did that, thatā€™dĀ be the way to retire. He wouldnā€™t though, obviously. Like when Bisping won the title. As fans we were going ā€˜he should stop now, itā€™s not getting any better from here.ā€™ Thatā€™s usually right, of course. But we forget sometimes that when a fighter becomes the champion, thatā€™s when his or her opportunities to make big money really begins and PPV points kick in and stuff. As much as Bisping retiring in the cage after twatting Rockhold wouldā€™ve been perfect in every way, I didnā€™t blame him for taking a few more fights after that. Same with Cowboy. If he somehow beat Khabib, thatā€™s when the big paydays would really kick in and Iā€™m sure a rematch with a Khabib coming off his firstĀ loss could do well, as would a defence against McGregor.Ā 

I donā€™t think Cerrone is even wanting to retire yet for a good while regardless. He did an interview before this show and said something like he wants to be the first fighter to haveĀ 50 UFCĀ fights. Not that Zuffa thing where they combine your UFC, WEC and maybe Pride fights. He wants 50 fights in the UFC before itā€™s all said and done. This Iaquinta fight was his 31st in the Octagon. So weā€™ve got him for a little while yet.Ā