MMA Fighter of the Year

HarmonicGenerator

MMA Fighter of the Year 2017  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator

Last year's winner: MICHAEL BISPING

Who fought best in 2017? Vote and discuss below!

The candidates:

Max Holloway - smoked the greatest Featherweight of all time twice on the way to the belt.

Mighty Mouse - defended his belt twice against underwhelming opponents, mainly because he has beaten everyone in the division - sometimes twice. His big achievement this year was beating Anderson Silva's long standing number of title defences.

Robert Whittaker - slipped under everyone's radar by beating two of the scariest contenders at Middleweight - Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero. May well hold an interim belt of some sort.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Probably the 3 outstanding choices - 

Holloway - smoked the greatest Featherweight of all time twice on the way to the belt.

Mighty Mouse - defended his belt twice against underwhelming opponents, mainly because he has beaten everyone in the division - sometimes twice. His big achievement this year was beating Anderson Silva's long standing number of title defences.

Robert Whittaker - slipped under eveyone's radar by beating two of the scariest contenders at Middleweight - Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero. May well hold an interim belt of some sort.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Probably the 3 outstanding choices - 

Holloway - smoked the greatest Featherweight of all time twice on the way to the belt.

Robert Whittaker - slipped under eveyone's radar by beating two of the scariest contenders at Middleweight - Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero. May well hold an interim belt of some sort.

Thanks Guy. Edited the opening post to include those.

• Paid Members

Sorry ColinBollocks but Robert Whittaker. 

Any of the 3 would be a more than deserving winner. But Whittaker edges it for me. 

If Holloway vs Frankie Edgar had gone ahead in December as planned and Holloway beat Edgar, I'd have voted Holloway. But as impressive as him beasting Aldo twice was, he did the same thing twice, didn't he? It was awesome and a huge achievement to go 2-0 over all all-time great but I'm splitting hairs and for me a win over Edgar would've been even better. 

Mouse was spectacular again this year. He took BJJ black-belt Wilson Reis and submitted him with BJJ. Then he topped that with his fucking ridiculous German suplex into armbar finish on Ray Borg in October. 

But...for me Whittaker was a revelation in 2017. He beat, IMO, the two scariest middleweights in the game in Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero. I thought he was out of his depth in both fights and he shat all over my thoughts and predictions. He went up a few levels this year. It's a shame he got injured and never got to fight for the proper belt in 2017 but if he had got the Bisping fight we probably wouldn't have seen GSP come back when he did. So every cloud. Whittaker for me though.

Edited by wandshogun09