Media Monitoring

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I was looking for a relevant thread to post an article in but couldn't really see one. So I figured, why don't we have a thread for posting and discussing really good pieces of journalism and for mocking really bad and/or dangerous pieces of journalism.

This is inspired by the triggering of the Daily Mail by a Guardian cartoon. 

IMG_20170622_121413.jpg

• Paid Members

Been following this on Twitter today. Wow, just wow. The very last paragraph is the very definition of the word 'unbelievable'. If you cant squint enough to read it in the above image, the Daily Mail are quoted as saying:

"The truth is that the Guardian and the fascist Left are the REAL purveyors of hate in this country"

I mean, where the fuck do you start??

I may have mentioned it before, but I urge everyone to support the Stop Funding Hate campaign, which asks companies advertising in the Mail, Express and Sun to quit spending the money you choose to give them on sponsoring the kind of bigotry peddled by these outlets.

The overwhelming majority of people in the UK don’t buy The Sun, Daily Mail or Daily Express.

Aren't The Sun and The Daily Mail two of the most read newspapers in the UK?

Edit: Quote is from Stop Funding Hate above, but I'm not sure how to edit the source of the quote.

• Paid Members

They have a circulation of about three million people combined. 

Couple of interesting stats, despite it being near assumption to think that every Sun and Mail reader votes Conservative, estimated that 30% of the former voted Labour in the other week and 15% of the latter. That's per polling after the election.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I saw the Sun stats that said a surprisingly small percentage of their readers even bothered to vote, let alone vote for the party the paper wanted them to. However I don't think we can necessarily read that as the power of the populist press on the wane. We also have to consider the influence of papers in general on people who don't even read them. Things like the BBC and Sky who take time out of their schedules to discuss the next day's front pages and the papers in general.  

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Archived