Jump to content

The 'Today I Learned...' MMA Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Only watched a little bit, i'll go back to it, seems like general MMA chat. Was hoping to find the audio version so i can listen in work, seems like its only on youtube at the moment though.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 10/6/2020 at 9:52 AM, Egg Shen said:

today I learned that UFC commentator Jon Anik has an identical twin brother. He hosts a podcast with Belal Muhammad. I actually watched for 5 minutes before realising it wasn't Jon. I spent the whole time wondering how he'd managed to grow his hair so quickly.

20201006_094947.thumb.jpg.67b1421d25f019e00fd671b4a1a9d68c.jpg

Had a laugh at this just.

 

Posted (edited)

I already knew this really, but the rumour that Quadros roughed up Joe Rogan in 2004 is false. 

Quadros debunks it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMHRCMUFlk&ab_channel=TheMMAMovement

Interestingly, here is Eddie Bravo debunking the rumour in 2005 and trashing Quadros in the process - https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/What-if/Joe-Rogans-Black-Eye:699443

For what it is worth, I rate Quadros as the best MMA commentator of all-time...............................along with Mauro

Edited by jimufctna24
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

Bumping this to elighten you with this utterly pointless piece of infomation.

Today I learned that Caroline Pierce, the English chick who's been presenting the UFC coverage over here for years was Gladiator Ice in the 2008 reboot (same one that Nick Aldis was in).

Ice03.jpg

So now you know.

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I learnt recently that Team Hammerhouse's base was Coleman's porch, where he'd had a heavy bag fitted. Otherwise Coleman and company trained at other gyms (Coleman trained at XtremeCouture for one of his UFC bouts for example)

I had assumed that they had a proper training facility like AKA and other teams had at the time. Alas not.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Hammerhouse has to be ond of the most meat heated teams in the history of the sport. Remember Wes Sims? :crazy:

Posted

Sims also posted fake spoilers about TUF 10 on the Underground forum just before the show was about to air ?

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Hammerhouse has to be ond of the most meat heated teams in the history of the sport. Remember Wes Sims? :crazy:

Aye, Coleman and Randleman were likeable meatheads imo.

I remember I had a copy of a documentary covering Ortiz and the UFC 19 controversy. In it, there was backstage footage of Coleman and Randleman ready to protect Tito from the Lion's Den, who were understandably miffed about the t-shirt stunt.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Thanks to Miro Mijatovic's interviews with FightOpinion and more recently Vice, Pride's ties with the Yakuza, and how they led to its demise, are now well known. 

But there was one part of the tale I didn't know about until recently when I was scanning old articles on FightOpinion. Back in 2010, over 3 yeas after Pride held its last show, an anti-Yakuza prosecutor and author by the name of Toshiro Igari was found dead of an apparent suicide. 

Before his death Igari was set to publish another book in which he would reveal details of several Yakuza cases he had been working on. Apparently the book would detail Igari's time as one of Mijatovic's lawyers, as they sought legal action against Pride's parent company (DSE) and associated parties (in other words Sakibara and his Yakuza pals) for their mistreatment of Mijatovic. 

As with the suicide of Naoto Morishita in January of 2003, the Pride president who was rumoured to be in debt to the Yakuza faction that Sakibara acted as the front man for and for which eventually took over Pride altogether in late 2003, a lot of people were very skeptical as to whether Igari actually committed suicide. 

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

Might be common knowledge to those who follow both MMA and football but TIL that Melvin Manhoef’s kid plays for Stoke City. 

Last time I saw him he was doing stuff like this and looked like he’d be kicking arse like his old man when he grew up…

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Bloody hell, that makes me feel old. I remember those videos back in the day, proper "future of the sport" type talk surrounding him.

He was much better off getting into football.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...