Characters/Gimmicks that aged well or badly

The Cutting Edge

As the title suggests what gimmicks do you feel aged well and moved with the times and maybe got better and which ones went to shit as time went on and became shells of there former selves.

I've been watching WCW PPV's from 97-98 I really like the Steiners updated look, they went from dodgy early 90s multi coloured singlets, Scott had a mullet and Rick had a curly fro type thing, they shook up there look with matching black or red shiny pleather singlets (I think they looked cool) Scott slicked back his hair and grew a goatee and Rick had a shorter buzz cut.

They didnt look outta place during the attitude era with the new look but would've if they kept the neon singlets.

Over to you guys I'm sure there's tonnes to pick from good or bad

Not sure if it's what you're after, but Arn Anderson properly grew into his look without changing a thing. Mid-80s Arn is a chubby prematurely-bald bastard with an attitude problem. Mid-90s Arn is a chunky bear-looking gloriously-grumpy bastard who looks like he can fight. Same gear, same ring style, but with a few years under his belt, he turned into what I think is the benchmark for hard case wrestlers. Sometimes I wonder if charisma is simply where guys begin believing their shit, which you just don't get with the twenty-somethings on today's rosters. It doesn't surprise me that many of the guys getting over both on the mains and in NXT are thirty-plus.

More inline with the topic, I think HBK evolved his look really well over the years, going from neon flash of the 80s Rockers, to the black leather clad 90s, through to his born-again Christian warrior look.

It's an obvious choice but the Undertaker is the first name to spring to mind when I think of characters that changed with the times in ways that suited the direction of the product and due to this he's always managed to stay relevant. If Mark Calaway didn't have to worry about injuries and ageing he'd be able to run with that character and stay at a top level within WWE until the end of time.

All of the cartoony characters haven't aged well at all but that's a given. 

Marc Mero, Val Venis, Godfather and D-Lo Brown (those types of guys) haven't aged well. If you watch back a lot of 1998-1999 WWF it is actually pretty worn in terms of how it has aged. 

In terms of personalities in wrestling DDP has aged badly both as a character but as a person too... jesus that face looks like an ageing ball bag! 

Archived