Monday Night War - January to June 1996 (Podcast Question)

Liam O'Rourke

This week we'll be recording Part 2 of our History of the Monday Night War series, where we go through the timeline of shows and break down the key stories with backstage notes from newsletters of the time.

In this podcast, we'll be covering the first six months of 1996, and I want to get some feedback of people's memories, particularly if you were watching at the time, of your experiences watching.

- What were your viewing habits and feelings on both shows at the time?
- What do you feel was the high point of this period?
- What do you feel was the low point of this period?

As always, we'll be reading the best feedback on the air and crediting you accordingly to discuss your comments. So what do you think?

EDIT - As you can see below, the show is now online, and can be listened to at this link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/56jfgt/SCGRadio29-TheMondayNightWarin1996-Part1.mp3

- As an 8 year old watched Raw at my cousins house every Wednesday up until June 96 when Warrior left. I was waning as a fan from Mania 12 (that Iron Man as a kid zzzzzz) but the Warriors return bought them a few months and then when he bailed i didnt watch any WWF (wrestling full stop as i didnt know about WCW) again until September 98.

-High point for me was the Warriors return at Mania and Razor putting the nappy the 123 Kid at IYH 6 in the Febuary. I loved that as a kid.

-Low point was how i didnt have a hero (outside of the little Warrior run), i loved Razor but he was never the champion or had wwf championship matches (he had a title match at Rumble 93, did he have another match for the title on tv after that???) I was never a Bret fan as a kid, Undertaker scared me and i wasnt buying Shawn as a face after the Barber Shop.

It all seemed a million miles away from Hogan era which i desperatley craved. If only there was a wrestling show with Hogan & co for me to watch at the time.

Stupid 8 year old me.

For me, the highpoint of this period was the Raw magazine. Such a departure from what WWF magazine was. I was amazed. This time period was when I first started reading Powerslam as well, as their issue with the WrestleMania 12 coverage was a good month or two ahead of where WWF mag was up to, and about three years ahead of PWI. So this was the time period where I started getting into the backstage gossip.

As far as on-screen happenings, the Outsiders have to be the main thing. I started watching WCW maybe a week or two before Razor Ramon turned up, and I was hooked on that story. Looking at TNT's WCW Teletext page in the week for hints at what'd be coming on Nitro on Friday.

In the WWF, I was well into the Shawn Michaels story. Got a VCR for Christmas '95, and cable in my room. I recorded the "Tell Me a Lie" video off Superstars and played it over and over. I'd never liked Bret Hart, so I was supporting HBK all the way for WrestleMania.

The most impactive stuff in the WWF in that time period for me was Vader before they gave up on him. His attacks on Gorilla Monsoon and Yokozuna especially. It feels like the one where he broke Yoko's leg took about three quarters of a Raw as they went on about how horrendous an attack it was. The Gorilla one made the cover of (I think the first?) Raw mag, and led to Goldust doing an OJ Simpson chase with lingerie on under his gear.

Diva of the first half of 1996: Marlena, by far. Absolutely incredible.

- As an 8 year old watched Raw at my cousins house every Wednesday up until June 96 when Warrior left. I was waning as a fan from Mania 12 (that Iron Man as a kid zzzzzz) but the Warriors return bought them a few months and then when he bailed i didnt watch any WWF (wrestling full stop as i didnt know about WCW) again until September 98.

-High point for me was the Warriors return at Mania and Razor putting the nappy the 123 Kid at IYH 6 in the Febuary. I loved that as a kid.

-Low point was how i didnt have a hero (outside of the little Warrior run), i loved Razor but he was never the champion or had wwf championship matches (he had a title match at Rumble 93, did he have another match for the title on tv after that???) I was never a Bret fan as a kid, Undertaker scared me and i wasnt buying Shawn as a face after the Barber Shop.

It all seemed a million miles away from Hogan era which i desperatley craved. If only there was a wrestling show with Hogan & co for me to watch at the time.

Stupid 8 year old me.

As a side note to this, we only started getting Nitro on TNT in March, correct?

I was so engrossed in the HBK title chase at the time and his title run afterwards. Its why it remains one of my favourite periods in wrestling.

12 year old me thought the Ironman match was the greatest match ever, I loved it at the time. Apart from a Rumble Id never seen a match go that long before and PWI hyped it up as the greatest match of all time too, I took everything in the Apter mags as gospel back then.

I have fond memories of that period. Was when I regularly bought PWI magazine every month without fail. PWI and other Apter mags was my only access to WCW at the time. Im sure I wasn't aware of the NWO/Hogan's heel turn until very late in the year. I dont remember Powerslam magazine back then.

• Paid Members

Stupid 8 year old me.

As a side note to this, we only started getting Nitro on TNT in March, correct?

But we could get it on DSF for a while before that, on a few weeks delay.

• 3 weeks later...

After a two week absence due to internet issues, we are back for the much requested second part of our History of The Monday Night War series, as we run through the first six months of 1996. Complete with detailed notes from Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, the panel timeline from January to the end of June, and discuss all the key talking points and take your feedback, talking Billionaire Ted, Vader, Hogan and Friends, Brian Pillman, Shawn Michaels' Mania victory, Eric Bischoff's brass balls, the debut of the Outsiders, the Ultimate Warrior, and much much more. A really fun show, check it out!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/56jfgt/SCGRadio29-TheMondayNightWarin1996-Part1.mp3

Archived