Monday Night War in 1995 (Podcast Question)

Liam O'Rourke

You had to pick two channels that would be plausible viewing so that you could leave it on one and the 'view last' channel was your buffer, as you couldn't say you'd been watching wrestling on the German channels as you would then have to try and explain how you knew that it was shown there, I.e why you had viewed the German section in the first place

I believe the first Nitro aired on TNT was on the 15th of March and this was the card:

The Giant defeated Jim Duggan

The Road Warriors defeated Rick & Scott Steiner (the Steiners' surprise return after a more than 3-year absence)

WCW TV Champion Lex Luger pinned Alex Wright

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, & the Booty Man defeated WCW World Champion Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, & Kevin Sullivan.

I remember Nitro being heavily advertised. And being shocked at seeing LOD appearing and how huge The Giant was.

That first one sounds intriguing, purely for the novelty of that fat sack of shit actually taking a real bump for once in his life, as I presume he would've had to for the chokeslam. 

The 'booty man' was just excrutiating on every possible level. It's hard to imagine they were even serious with a name and character like that, particularly when it's put on a guy who still holds a decent level of value and star power based on an earlier, successful gimmick. If it wasn't for the likelihood it can be ruled out based on the power his best pal wielded, you'd think he was lumbered with it purely to humiliate him.

The second match would certainly have grabbed the attention of new viewers brought up on late 80s / early 90s wrestling. I know there's a tendency to look back and prefer one hour shows, but with the growing roster and emphasis on variety and different styles of wrestling, Nitro was definitely better as a two hour show which it expanded to not long after this.

I want to thank everybody for the responses - the show is now online as we talk about the creation and beginning of the Monday Night War. Timelining the events of 1995 with added details from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, as well as taking your feedback on viewing habits and the highs and lows, this show hits all the talking points of the time and a whole lot more. A fun show, check it out and let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/feznb8/SCGRadio22-TheMondayNightWarin1995.mp3

I watched the Duggan / Giant match to see if it was the one I remember. This was during the time they were claiming Duggan was fighting Irish and a taped fist champion. Nonsense.

The match itself is decent enough Nitro fare. Duggan's selling is fine and Giant cuts off most of Duggan's offence with basic bearhugs and kicks and punches.

The finish is were the problem lies and makes Giant look strong and weak. Duggan tapes his fists using duct tape from the wires outside and nails Giant 3 times before Giant goes down. Jimmy Hart then interferes to which Duggan headbutts him to get rid of him and turns into a wicked chokeslam where Giant muscles him up and then plants him with it and falls away at the same time making the impact look stronger. If Duggan has tried to resist he still would have took it due to Giant's size and strength.

It should have been a quick squash considering Giant was on the road to taking the title from Flair in my opinion.

I found it on Dailymotion this morning.

Archived