The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Danny Ainge couldn't work magic in this draft since there was no new LeBron, Kobe, MJ, Melo et AL, ie a superstar level talent they could have drafted as their #3 pick. Bailing on the proposed Butler trade was a major mistake and one in hindsight might cost him his front office position. If this was a super talent stacked started and they had 8 picks say in the 1998 draft they could have picked up Pierce, KG, Dirk, Bibby, Vinsanity. 1985 had Oakley, Ewing, Mullin and Malone, 2003 had LeBron, D Wade, Melo, Bosh. 84 you had Hakeem, Michael, Sir Charles and Stockton. But if Boston had 8 picks in 96, you had AI, Kobe, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Marbury, Jermaine O Neal and Fish so they could have loaded up with future Hall of Famers. Its way too early to call if there's anyone that could be a all-star or a rookie of the year candidate. US today didn't rank Boston's draft choices too badly in fact and two of their picks were traded away. Some are draft and stash so the player can develop at their current overseas team. Some draft choices in general were a bit scattershot. The 76ers got Ben and I think they can use him to attract a secondary level player to Philly. KD won't go there but maybe they can intice Dwight there or a Pau Gasol and try and build a Playoff level team.

The Serge trade is interesting since Ibaka is IMO an integral part of the Thunder, so unless they have a contingency plan in place I think it's more of a retool where they are thinking of getting players in whom they rebuild with. Plus if KD leaves where does it leave Russ? Does he demand a trade or does he stick and they placate him with another big free agency signing or trade. Phil and NY are going all out to recruit Durant but they have to move players around to make that deal possible. If Luke Walton manages to bring in KD that would be a masterstroke but at present there's no one realistically he can say will make them even a top 5 West team. Bringing in Ingram is a wise move but it's asking too much of him to turn their ailing fortunes around. They have cap space so if they manage to land AL Horford that's a start. You already have Clarkson, Swaggy P and now Ingram so there's a young nucleus. I won't be surprised if they manage to bring in K Love if Cleveland let him go. Maybe they bring in AL and trade him for Love, but one thing that could make the West a lock is if KD becomes a Warrior, but again they would have to trade Bogut and move players to make that work. Also what if KD decides to reunite with James Harden and go to Houston?. Also one guy who might pop up in either LA or NY is Dwight. If they can't bring in Durant or Horford respectively then I see them going for Howard. He's like Shaq 2.0 without the championships and ability. Shaq in his prime was a great addition alongside Kobe in LA and with D Wade in Miami. But Dwight hasn't really clicked. Not with Kobe or Harden, so he's another guy who has the ability to be a top player but hasn't really ever stepped up and seems too nice a guy to have that killer instinct that Kobe, Mike and LeBron have. Post NBA season should be intriguing and some states guys might get further moved around or sent to the D League or even overseas. Also anyone know why Davis didn't get traded until way later. Jalen et AL were saying he was a top 5/10 choice at first until he got drafted at #31 in the second round. He's a Grizzly now and said he's gonna play with a chip of his shoulder. I think if he plays with determination and to prove folks wrong a lot of teams like the Celtics et AL might be asking themselves why didnt we draft this guy.

Edited for auto correct misspellings

Edited by Really Big Shoe

Lakers aggressively going after Whiteside. Can't see him leaving Miami, but if LA throw enough money at him...

I'm guessing Joakim Noah ends up in NY. He's best pals with Derrick Rose and actually lives there too.

Whiteside is good but it's taking a huge gamble if they spend millions on a player who they want to build a franchise around. I mean if they threw millions at KD that's a guy with a considerable upside. Hassans a little Raw still so he would have to step up big time to be their #1 guy as right now. Could he break out and be a bigger star in LA? I wouldnt doubt it just saying to come from Miami when you were playing with D Wade to a young Lakers squad. I think he'd be an experienced player as he's 27 and being in the league since being drafted by the Kings.

I think Joakim could become a Knick. He's out of the starting rotation for the Bulls and he'd be an automatic starter for NY, plus he's best buddies with D Rose so yea that's a strong possibility and the Knicks would have a big 3 of their own and their starting 5 if it fires on all cynclinders might surprise alot of folks.

Edited by Really Big Shoe

I've read articles strongly linking KD to the Spurs, Warriors, Celtics and to stay at the Thunder. They're are meant to be 2 other teams in the running, and who he's going to meet with (the Clippers were one of them). The Knicks didn't make the list.

I still think he stays at the Thunder. But it's far from a sure-thing. 

The Clippers can't meet with KD, they're crippled by luxury tax. They have one of the biggest wage bills in the organisation. ESPN are reporting that only Warriors and Spurs are getting a meeting with KD. That rules out the Wizards and Celtics and the Knicks. I still think he'll sign back with the Thunder. He might  move next Summer when he finds out what Russ is doing. 

I wouldn't call Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah a part of any 'big 3'. Both have been superb players in the past, but both of them have a lot of miles on the clock and a lot of bad injuries to boot. Noah might well start wherever he goes, but he shouldn't be logging more than 20-25 mins a night at this stage of his career. 

I've read articles strongly linking KD to the Spurs, Warriors, Celtics and to stay at the Thunder. They're are meant to be 2 other teams in the running, and who he's going to meet with (the Clippers were one of them). The Knicks didn't make the list.

I still think he stays at the Thunder. But it's far from a sure-thing.

Looks like he's taking a meeting with the Knicks after all, according to breaking news.

Not seen anything about the Knicks getting a meeting with KD, Art. It would make the East extremely interesting though. 

Looks like Cleveland are prepared to let Delly walk. He's asked for obscene money, even in this cap rich market, and the Cavs are more than likely going to use the majority of what little they do have to play with on bringing back JR. Veteran shooters who are chasing a ring will probably sign up for a pittance too.

There was fairly strong rumors KD was interested in the Celtics option on the Celtics forums for what it's worth. Solid foundation of a team who are young and hungry but lack the experience and all star calibre player he'd bring. Also has some relations to the city I believe.

• Paid Members

I think KD's motivation will impact his choice here. If its purely about getting a ring then its the Warriors, if hes looking to lead a rebuiding team then it would be Celtics or Lakers, if hes looking for that 1 year deal its the Thunder. I suspect he will 1 up with the Thunder. They are still contenders and it will allow him to reasses at the end off the year

Oh btw, random question but does anyone know anywhere we can watch episode 1 of Any Given Wednesday (Simmons' new show) in the UK? You used to always find the Grantland Hour on NBA Reddit but not this...

I saw it on YouTube earlier

Ben Affleck is the first guest.

Not seen anything about the Knicks getting a meeting with KD, Art. It would make the East extremely interesting though. 

Looks like Cleveland are prepared to let Delly walk. He's asked for obscene money, even in this cap rich market, and the Cavs are more than likely going to use the majority of what little they do have to play with on bringing back JR. Veteran shooters who are chasing a ring will probably sign up for a pittance too.

Yeah, my mistake. He's not one of the first three teams, but ESPN still reporting that he may consider them. I still think he's 1-upp'ing in OKC though, so it really doesn't matter at this point.