The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

A Rose in the Garden?

The New York Knicks are looking to upgrade their backcourt, and one player on their radar is Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose.

The Knicks have had internal discussions recently about trading for Rose, league sources tell ESPN.

The Bulls' interest in trading Rose, 27, is unknown at this point. The Knicks do not have many strong trade chips outside of Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis and future first-round draft picks.

Both Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek and GM Steve Mills have said that the Knicks are interested in upgrading their point guard position in the offseason. The Knicks' incumbent starting point guard is Jose Calderon, while other potential point guards include second-year guard Jerian Grant and free-agent signee Tony Wroten.

Rose will be a free agent after the 2016-17 season. He averaged 16.4 points on 42.7 percent shooting and 4.7 assists in 66 games last season.

The six-year veteran has appeared in just 50 percent of the Bulls' regular-season games over the past four years because of various injuries, including two major knee surgeries.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/16287776/new-york-knicks-discussions-trading-derrick-rose

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know it'll be a contract year for him and there were moments last year where he looked great, but I don't know if the Knicks need another ball dominant player. We already have Melo and while I love Melo, I want to see Porzingis get the ball in his hands more next season. I still think I'd rather see them go after Mike Conley. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

As the article says, you have zero trade assets Art, never going to happen. Unless you can do a sign and trade with another free agent. I agree though, think Mike Conley would be the best bet for the Knicks, think he would suit the system perfectly. 

Carmelo Anthony has frustrated me no end the past few years. I know it's his home team and the dollar is insane that he's on, but for some so gifted to never even play in a finals is crazy, he's pretty much wasted the past 6 years of his career. Still strongly believe he should have signed with the Bulls the other Summer. 

As the article says, you have zero trade assets Art, never going to happen. Unless you can do a sign and trade with another free agent. I agree though, think Mike Conley would be the best bet for the Knicks, think he would suit the system perfectly. 

Carmelo Anthony has frustrated me no end the past few years. I know it's his home team and the dollar is insane that he's on, but for some so gifted to never even play in a finals is crazy, he's pretty much wasted the past 6 years of his career. Still strongly believe he should have signed with the Bulls the other Summer. 

For selfish reasons, I'm glad Melo didn't leave because I like having him on the Knicks. I do agree though, that for him to have never made a Finals appearance is brutal. 

Some have floated the idea of a trade where the Celtics take Kevin Love in a three-way deal where the Cavs get Melo and the Knicks get the 3rd overall pick, two Cavs first round picks, Cavs second round pick and Marcus smart - but that’ll never happen. I don’t want to see Melo go at all, but I guess I MIGHT be ok with something like that. I don’t think LaLa is moving to Cleveland though. No way.

Phenomenal, such a tense game, I imagine fans of both sides were put through the ringer.

The last 2 minutes were heart in mouth stuff, even as a neutral. Nothing would land and that block by LeBron on Igoudala, superhuman.

Then LeBron goes down, looked nasty and he's clearly in agony, he misses the first free throw but nets the 2nd. Proper Hollywood ending, amazing.

Thoroughly deserved and LeBron wasn't letting go of those trophies was he!

An amazing end to an enthralling series.

Just caught the highlights, legendary stuff.

LeBron's career will heavily be defined by this series. While I've always been indifferent to him as a person, it was nice to see him win the title for Cleveland. After a very slow start, the 2016 playoffs delivered in the latter stages. The Warriors-Thunder series, and Cavs-Warriors series were the NBA at its finest.

So LeBron fires back at his haters on Instagram with a photo of himself holding the Larry B with this underneath:

"They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir"

Now we have the Draft on Thursday and then what will likely be a crazy off-season. Who gets drafted first and what do we think the Cavs do with Kevin Love now?

Some news:

- The 76ers have reportedly told Ben Simmons that they'll draft him first tomorrow night.

- Dirk Nowitzki has opted out of his contract to become a free agent. Does he sign anywhere else other than with the Mavs? Apparantly the Warriors want him.

- Dwight Howard has opted out of his contract, as expected. Where do you think he goes? Dallas? Back to Orlando?

- Warriors' top target in free agency is Kevin Durant. I would hate to see him sign there, personally.

- The Celtics have been trying to trade the #3 pick but have been declined by the Bulls (Butler) and the Bucks (Parker).

- Dwight Howard has opted out of his contract, as expected. Where do you think he goes? Dallas? Back to Orlando?

Last I read, the Magic didn't have any interest in re-signing Dwight. 

Where do you see him ending up? I see that D-Will and Arron Afflalo have opted out of their Knicks contracts! Delighted with that.