The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

• Paid Members

I follow American Football, Baseball and Basketball quite closely and ended up fallen into my team the same way with all 3 and that's being drawn to one player then following that. Before I followed any team I followed Reggie Millar then an affiliation for the Pacers naturally followed for me.

Edited by ElCece

Speaking of being drawn to shit teams this year out of curiosity how did you all choose your basketball teams? Obviously over here with Football/Rugby etc it's generally your dad's team or local team. But doesn't quite happen for the NBA unless you're actually from the States. 

I started it following about 2011/10 only due to a friend in high-school supporting the Celtics against the large Filipino contingent we had at my school who all supported Lakers. Plus the Celtics colours/name matched my football team 'Celtic's.' Plus they where starting to slowly lose momentum so seemed a perfect fit. 

I also follow Magic and hope they do well purely due to the way they treated myself and family as a Make A Wish in 2012, sorted us out with seats that where something in the range of $250 - 300 a go, letting me do the high-fives on court, meet the coach at the time, listen in to the ref speak to the two players going for the tip-off, chat with some of the players and just generally one of the most incredible experiences ever.

I have family over in NYC, hence always being a Knicks fan.

I caught the end of the Magic vs Raptors game. To say I was relieved that the Magic held on for the win would be an understatement. 

Remember the Knicks fans booing this kid at the draft?

https://youtu.be/t95MuUIVsxA

I remember Stephen A Smith taking a break from his vacation to complain about it. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Same. As OTT as they are, I still enjoy First Take.

Anyone been listening to the Bill Simmons podcast since he came back? It's been awesome.

A good Lakers/Knicks game last night AND Mozgov hit a three in that game against the Pacers. Have we entered an alternate dimension?

At the moment my Celtics are all over the place, good performence, bad performances, IT looked like utter shite last night, we're starting terribly but finishing up well. I know it's early season but I'm seriously hoping we sort it out sooner than later cos at the moment we don't even know our starting 5. By the way Cody Zeller is the absolute shits. Good God he sucks at the moment. Brads dropped him currently.

Also they where speaking about the Nets on Celtics postgame live, man did we really screw them with the KG/Paul Pierce and Jason Terry deal a while back. Still yet to win a game. And there's a good chance they'll go 20 losses before they get a win in regards to their upcoming schedule. Fuck me not a good time to support them eh?

• 4 weeks later...

So, 20-0 and counting then? Curry is the best player in the NBA right now. His shooting in the 3rd quarter against the Hornets was out of this world. 

Watched the Heat vs Thunder game the other night. The ending was exciting, with the Heat coming from behind in the last minute or so. I think there was about 35 lead changes throughout the game.

Also, my Magic are on a 5 game winning streak. Let the good times roll!

• 2 months later...

How's everyone's teams doing then? 

My Celtic's have had a 9/10 run and we're up to 2nd in the East which is beyond my expectations. Bearing in mind there's still a long way to go. The win over the Cav's was beautiful last week though.

BTW Art didn't realise you where affiliated with DC website? Like there podcasts!

Edited by seanz25

How's everyone's teams doing then? 

Shite.

The Magic have gone from a playoff spot, to being 6 games under :500, and bottom of their division. 

The magic have been far to inconsistent for me this year, I think the East this year is definitely more competitive in general, whether it's actually any better quality wise is debatable, but the likes of Detroit, Indiana, Celtics and Hornets are all playing better this year, making those playoff seed's much more difficult to obtain, I think if my Celtics lose something like 2 games on the spin from 3rd overall we can drop down to 8th/9th place, just showing how close it is. Still you've got building blocks of a good young team, I really like the look of Oladipo and Payton and when Tobais Harris and Vucavic get into the swing of thing's they look pretty solid to, the UK game was a good example of that. 

Edited by seanz25

It will end up being a rematch of last seasons finals. Which is fine by me, a fully fit Cavs vs Warriors should be epic. Can't see anything other than a Warriors repeat. The only team I could see taking them in a series is the Thunder, and even then everything would have to be absolutely perfect for OKC to have a sniff.