XWA vs GPW VENDETTA - Saturday, July 28

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah but we gave you a memorable send off didn't we gregory!! Nanana nananana hey hey hey goooodbyeeeeee

Lol

Forgive me for sticking my nose in. If XWA are genuinely bowing out then I think the last couple of posts like this are in bad taste. If its an inside joke that the XWA folk are happy with then ignore my point but if not then I think they deserve more respect from a decade of shows.

Yeah but we gave you a memorable send off didn't we gregory!! Nanana nananana hey hey hey goooodbyeeeeee

Lol

Forgive me for sticking my nose in. If XWA are genuinely bowing out then I think the last couple of posts like this are in bad taste. If its an inside joke that the XWA folk are happy with then ignore my point but if not then I think they deserve more respect from a decade of shows.

Hitman numbers is kayfabe.

• Paid Members

What a tremendous live spectacle and experience this was.

As I believe I told someone else, this was 'Final Frontiers' x100. Whereas that IPW:UK vs. FWA event was fun, there was a huge cross-over between wrestlers and audiences for both groups, with just about everyone being very well aware that FWA was on the way out. Here, XWA and GPW have separate, loyal audiences who were passionately behind their team, both were seen as complete equals, and the outcome was up in the air.

What made it such a unique atmosphere was that everything drew a massive reaction from at least one half of audience. In addition, the chants, heckles and support weren't just directed at the wrestlers, they were directed between the opposing sets of fans too, just like with a set of away supporters at a football match. If an XWA wrestler did a move, the XWA fans would cheer, celebrate and goad the GPW fans; then when a GPW wrestler did something the opposite would apply. It was like this the entire way through - whenever there was an XWA vs. GPW match in the ring, there was never a dip in the atmosphere or heat.

I'll try to link some pictures from Tony Knox's awesome Flickr set from this show later when I'm not at work, since they really tell the story. Whether it be wrestlers celebrating in amongst their rabid supporters, hitman90210 (or 'CM Plump', as he may now forever be known) squaring up to security, GPW fans smashing the fuck out of an XWA DVD they won in the raffle or people standing on their chairs to celebrate over the other fans, there were so many genuine moments of complete engagement in this show that I doubt I will ever see again.

The only down-point was the 'neutral' match between Joey Hayes and Bubblegum. That's not to say it was a bad match - from an in-ring standpoint it was by far the strongest match on the show - it was just that the entire night was built around XWA vs. GPW, that's what people were interested in, that's what they wanted to see. As a result, it was flat.

The GPW victory and XWA's/Greg Lambert's complete disheartened withdrawal is a fascinating twist. Wouldn't it be awesome if, in terms of the ongoing story, GPW took over the November date that XWA have supposedly given up? The show would be run as a GPW show (think NWO Souled Out), before the XWA guys return to try to win back their venue with the support of the hometown fans. A complete reversal where the babyfaces are now in the role of the invaders, instead of the GPW heels as has been so far.

What with this, and Joey Hayes betrayal (though it was interesting that he wanted nothing to do with GPW afterwards - he hadn't done it to help GPW, he had his own agenda), it looks like there is plenty of steam left in this one yet.

I can testify to everything Ben says there. Utterly unbelievable night, the likes of which I've never experienced before in wrestling. Even found myself getting rather more caught up in it than I expected to, which led me at one point to get rather in Ben's face (Sorry). Ended the night actually having to console some XWA fans who were in tears, unable to cope with losing to GPW. Unreal atmosphere, and I'm so glad I was able to be there and be part of it.

If this is the end of XWA (I don't know either way) then I think it's, in many ways, a fitting end.

Don't cry into your shrimp XWAers. You can be safe in your choosing now, come and support us, the winners and officially the Best in the North West, luckilly for you, we run a lot more regularly than the ExWA and our next show on August 24th features some of your favourites, Ste Bin Mann and Joey Hayes to name but two.

See the last images from XWA's final venue last Saturday in a victorious celebration caught on camera by Team GPW and some awesome GPW fans. RIP XWA.

• 2 months later...

Archived