XWA vs GPW VENDETTA - Saturday, July 28

XWA Wrestling has today announced its squad of six plus one reserve for XWA vs GPW Vendetta on Saturday, July 28 at The Hexagon, Lancaster and Morecambe College. And already, Greg Lambert's selection is causing controversy...

The XWA squad is as follows:

Team captain 'THE PSYCHOTIC WARRIOR' JOHNNY PHERE

'HEAVYWEIGHT HOUSE OF PAIN' STIXX

'ROCKSTAR' SPUD

JYNKZ

AXL RAGE

JD SASSOON

Reserve CRAIG KOLLINS

Just minutes after the squad was announced, XWA and GPW fans were flooding both the XWA and GPW Facebook and twitter accounts with questions grilling Greg Lambert, XWA promoter, about his squad selection for this high stakes encounter with his bitter North West rivals.

These questions included: Why omit Sam Slam? Can you trust The Blackpool Blonds? Why no Alex Shane? Is this squad strong enough to beat GPW?

Here is how Lambert responded:

"Sam Slam is aware of my decision to omit him. Sam Slam is a fantastic competitor, a former XWA Champion and a destructive force inside the ring. But I believe that of late Sam has been something of a loose cannon, particularly following his actions after the tables match at War on the Shore. Bearing this in mind, I feel that he's too much of a risk for Team XWA as I believe he could easily get himself disqualified in the heat of the moment.

"I have spoken to both Axl and JD at length. I voiced my concerns about their trustworthiness. Both assured me that although they have no love for their fellow team members, they have even less love for GPW. I have been very impressed with how The Blonds have represented XWA on GPW turf over the past few months. Also I think having a cohesive tag team on our squad will be invaluable.

"I do not believe my team has any weak links. Johnny Phere is the XWA Champion. Stixx hasn't lost in four years, 19 matches in a row. Spud is one of UK wrestling's best, a former Double XWA Champion. Jynkz is a current XWA Double Champion. The Blackpool Blonds are one of the best tag teams in the UK today.

"Alex is retired. I have noted Craig Kollins' and RJ Singh's comments on Twitter. Craig is reserve. I have been impressed by his performances this year against Sam Bailey and especially against Jack Gallagher. A diamond in the rough and a great prospect to be sure, and if called upon I'm sure he can get the job done. But there are others I have chosen ahead of him because he's still very, very inexperienced. As for Singh, he's a fabulous talent who has served XWA very well and he was extremely keen to be part of the squad. Declan O'Connor also made a very strong case for inclusion. It was a tough choice to leave both of them out. But I stick by my six.

"I tried to destroy Phere and I couldn't get the job done. So what makes a bin man, a one-legged chrome dome and a fat bible basher think that they can?

"Stixx is two points in the bag in a singles match and he'll be on the survivor team as well. He is going for 20-0 on July 28 and that Stixx Train will not be stopped by GPW, that's for sure!

"Phere, Stixx and Spud are light years better than anyone on the GPW roster. Jynkz and The Blonds may be inexperienced in comparison but they hate GPW with a passion. I am very happy with my squad."

Meanwhile GPW boss Johnnie Brannigan's reaction to the news of Team XWA was just one dismissive word. "Easy."

The GPW head also said he would mull things over and announce Team GPW next week.

There are just eight weeks until the hottest rivalry in British Wrestling EXPLODES! It's XWA v GPW Vendetta and it's already kicking off with what has definitely been a ground breaking and heated war on social media. If you don't know what we mean, then join the XWA or GPW twitter/Facebook groups and see for yourselves!

XWA twitter: @XWAWrestling

GPW twitter: @grandpro

GPW Facebook: http://on.fb.me/KN3HTd

XWA Facebook: http://on.fb.me/KCxuiN

If the war inside the ring is even hotter, this could be the most memorable UK wrestling show of all time!

Get your tickets now! DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team Grand Pro Wrestling has just been revealed on Twitter:

Team Captain Heresy (Former Heavyweight Champion, Former British Champion, Former 2x Tag Team Champion)

"Dangerous" Damon Leigh (Former Heavyweight Champion, Former 4x British Champion, Former Tag Team Champion)

Ste "Bin" Mann (Current British Champion)

Dylan Roberts

Jason Logan

and a 6th man TBA! I can reveal he is a former Tag Team Champion!

I actually think GPW have fielded a very good team. Much better than I anticipated. The two who stick out the most to me as potential threats mind you are DDL (who knows XWA better than most) and Kriss Travis (who for my money is worthy of being on any roster in the world).

For the first time I find myself not 100% confident in XWA's ability to win this. Hmmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived