Tech help please

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Hi guys, hope everyone's well.

Need some help - any given would be much appreciated. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy 50 portable media player - an Android device - specifically so I could watch wrestling, downloaded from PWT, on the bus trip to and from work. So far, no joy - it keeps telling me "Sorry, this file can't be played".

Now, this is irritating, not least because the manual and all the research I did on the player prior to buying it told me that it played all main file types, including .avi and .mp4, which was the format of the episodes of Smackdown and Impact that I initially uploaded to it to test it. I've tried uploading it via the Samsung Kies programme, which is what you're supposed to do apparently, as well as simply just mounting the player to my laptop as a USB drive and uploading them directly that way. No dice.

Does anyone on here have any experience with and/or knowledge of this sort of thing, and what would you advise me to do?

Thanks in advance.

A lot of files uploaded to torrent sites (particularly wrestling torrents uploaded quickly after broadcast) have all sorts of cock-arsed codecs on them that some players have a problem with. It might be an .avi or .mp4 but it'll also have DivX h624 and assorted bollocks there. I imagine the extra codecs are to keep a good balance of filesize and quality, but they can be a nightmare to play. I know I use VLC to play most wrestling stuff I download, because Windows Media Player ballses it up. Can you get VLC on the 50, or update/add codecs to the standard video player on it? If not, it might be a case of converting every video before you can watch it. I went through a phase of doing that with my PSP, but in the end I couldn't be arsed and I don't even know where it is.

• Paid Members
A lot of files uploaded to torrent sites (particularly wrestling torrents uploaded quickly after broadcast) have all sorts of cock-arsed codecs on them that some players have a problem with. It might be an .avi or .mp4 but it'll also have DivX h624 and assorted bollocks there. I imagine the extra codecs are to keep a good balance of filesize and quality, but they can be a nightmare to play. I know I use VLC to play most wrestling stuff I download, because Windows Media Player ballses it up. Can you get VLC on the 50, or update/add codecs to the standard video player on it? If not, it might be a case of converting every video before you can watch it. I went through a phase of doing that with my PSP, but in the end I couldn't be arsed and I don't even know where it is.

Thanks for the response, Pitcos. I have to admit, I tend to alternate between VLC and WMP (for some reason, I don't usually have a problem with it - DivX seems to be my problem child right now), especially as I'm also on an Asian movies torrents site too. Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look. It allowed me to update codecs when I uploaded a downloaded Youtube video, so here's hoping.

• Paid Members

Hmmm, interesting. It seems VideoLAN are developing VLC for Android at the moment, but it's not finished yet. There are Alphas and Beta pre-release builds available dependent on processor architecture, so might give one of those a shot. Knowing my luck it'll probably not work, but it's worth a go. Thanks again for the advice, Pitcos.

• Paid Members
I use MX Player for Android.. seems to play everything alright. Worth a shot.

Ooh, will definitely check, then. VLC sounds good, but don't want to risk fucking up my player with a dodgy Alpha or Beta. Thanks.

• Paid Members

Sorry, wasn't sure if it should be considered a valid discussion topic.

Downloaded MX Player - it plays the files, but the picture goes really slowly and the sound cuts out every few seconds. Think I might need to update codecs or something.

Archived