• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator
Gotta be zack Ryder

Mark Henry

Cm punk

How can Punk be a breakout star , hasn't he been a world champion before this year ?

You could make the argument that while Punk was World Champion before, he wasn't a true main eventer until this year.

I think being World Champion these days is a bit like being classed as a Celebrity - used to be that the Title meant you were at the top, household name, very famous, the biggest draw and the most well-known etc, a bit like if you were famous, you were famous, and everyone knew you and bought tickets to your films/bought your records etc. But these days, as long as you've got a briefcase to cash in (or a reality TV show to appear on) you've got a good chance of being Champ (or a celeb), but it doesn't necessarily come with the same attritubtes or recognition it used to. Champion doesn't necessarily equal star anymore, is what I'm trying to say.

(You could make the argument, anyway...)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator
You could make the argument that while Punk was World Champion before, he wasn't a true main eventer until this year.

Nah, his breakout was the Hardy fued, without question, and they main evented a couple of PPVs in that time.

To continue the 'you could make the argument' from above (not saying I agree with it fully, but I'm here now so I may as well speak for andrew the ref), he dropped down the card a fair bit again in the year following that, with the SES and everything (after the Undertaker matches? Or were they before the Hardy series?) - his time at the top this year has certainly seemed more prolonged - he's been a feature attraction for about six months now, and that doesn't show any signs of changing anytime soon. It's not his initial breakout, but it's his cementing at the top of the card.

(You could make that argument...)