Holidaying in Orlando......

MikeBishop

• 7 months later...

I'm going to Orlando pretty soon and this has been a good read for doing things on the cheap.

Can anyone suggest any stuff to do that isn't necessarily touristy? We're going to have a car so are going to check out some of the surrounding areas (Tampa/St Pete etc). I'm also looking to see something to do with native american culture (museums or reservations perhaps), any suggestions?

I'm going to Orlando pretty soon and this has been a good read for doing things on the cheap.

Can anyone suggest any stuff to do that isn't necessarily touristy? We're going to have a car so are going to check out some of the surrounding areas (Tampa/St Pete etc). I'm also looking to see something to do with native american culture (museums or reservations perhaps), any suggestions?

I really enjoyed Tampa, head down to Ybor City for some really good Cuban food (devilled crabs at Carmines are fantastic), and a bunch of good bars. There's a museum there that's meant to be very good as well. It is somewhat touristy, but more than worth checking out. They apparently have a big market and also public yoga lessons in Ybor on Saturday mornings too, which I'd liked to have checked out had I been there at the weekend. Might as well go to FCW in Tampa on the Thursday too, it's on every week there for the time being.

• Awards Moderator

I've spent this year putting away a bit of money each week to go towards a holiday in Florida, and the thread about it on here last year (I don't think it was this exact thread, but was a very similar one that I'm sure was longer than 2 pages) was a massive influence on kickstarting me actively saving and thinking about how to go about it.

I'm thinking maybe early September next year - or early June - but before I make anything concrete I'll be checking that thread again for what to do/where to stay/how much to save etc. So cheers, UKFF, is what I'm getting at :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

A super bump for this thread, but just today booked for Mrs NEWM and I to go to Florida in two weeks time for our third Wedding Anniversary. Baby NEWM with his Grandparents for week as we attempt some quality selfishness before he's too old for us to get away with it. Can't fucking WAIT. Had the best time on our Honeymoon and wanted to go back since the moment we got home. The start of this year brought a bit of unexpected trickiness with the nipper's rather difficult birth, then the sharp kick in the knackers that he had Downs Syndrome, but since then he's just been fucking outstanding and we've started to get our heads around it all, I think. A holiday to round out the year seemed worth a punt and we got a decentish deal to what will be a guaranteed winner. Those that were around here when I got married may recall we landed at teatime on a Monday and by 7:30pm were strolling into the Amway Centre to watch the best Raw of the year and Miz cashing in his Money in the Bank. No such luck this time, but I've noticed it's the Florida basketball derby of Orlando Magic vs Miami Heat, so might get ourselves along for that.

Archived