Housing Benefit

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Does anybody know a website that has a list of estate agents or people privately renting rooms that accept housing benefit

Also, has anybody ever been on housing benefit? Does anybody know why if you are under 25 they will only pay HB on a room in a shared house and not a studio or 1 bed flat?

TIA.

• Paid Members
Does anybody know a website that has a list of estate agents or people privately renting rooms that accept housing benefit

Also, has anybody ever been on housing benefit? Does anybody know why if you are under 25 they will only pay HB on a room in a shared house and not a studio or 1 bed flat?

TIA.

Not a clue about the under 25 thing, that was news to me. However, as far as the privately renting stuff goes, most estate agents are fine with people on DSS. However the majority will need a guarentor. If you've not got one, then you might be out of luck. However if you go to the local council (or CAB office), you should be able to pick up a list of all the current (as of Monday each week up here, so check with the place you get it from) private properties they know of. Which will include house shares and similar.

Just note that they wont help you with the rent deposit scheme to move into any kind of shared place.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the replies.

Can anybody make this clearer for me as they weren't super clear at the housing office...

So say I find a room, and the person/place renting it accepts DSS what do I do then? I get a tenancy agreement/contract from them and take it to the housing office and then they tell me exactly how much they will contribute towards it?

I'm not sure what LHA is, however the rates they give change depending upon area and which council it is, the reason you'd get more in London is because the cheapest places are more expensive than say here, in the midlands.

And you're right about the way it works. What you'd do is find a place and then apply for the benefits, it takes about a month to setup so you should have the money for the first time you need to pay rent.

Is housing benefit only applicable if you or on other benefits IE. Jobseekers... are you entitled to it if you have a full-time job that doesnt pay well?

it's on a sliding scale dependant on how much you earn.

If you search online for housing benefit in your area, there should be a calculator (at least coventry has this) where you can input your income, cost of rent etc and they'll tell you how much you could probably expect.

it's on a sliding scale dependant on how much you earn.

If you search online for housing benefit in your area, there should be a calculator (at least coventry has this) where you can input your income, cost of rent etc and they'll tell you how much you could probably expect.

Excellent, thanks for helping.

Archived