The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought time was up for Jewell after their awful run. But Burley? He fucked up his last three jobs. He was sacked from Hearts because he wouldn't check into detox, such was the level of his drink problem.

Maybe the Soton fans will shed light on how he did down at St Marys, it looked like he left a mess, but his novice assistant has sorted out the mess he left at Palace and got some of the players Burley championed, like Owen Garvan, actually looking worthy of championing.

I must admit he's seriously underperformed since he left Ipswich, a few mates of mine who went to Derby Uni reckon he was always out on the town in a state, yet the fans still hold him in high regard here. I really wouldn't be surprised if he comes back, at least to steady the ship till the end of the season, he was the most successful manager since Robson and although there's no room for sentiments in football I think he could do better than Jewell.

:) Good luck. If he comes back, I think you'll need it. Personally, from what I've seen, whoever is choosing the managers in the Marcus Evans era up until now has been an idiot. Magilton didn't have Roy Keane's profile but he was a far better manager and all the dealings of Keane's tenure cast a long shadow across the club. If they want to reappoint an old manager, I'd look to Magilton, though I doubt he'd take the job. The problem is, they need to give him two to three years to build a good young side that could get promotion and, for me, therein lies the real issue; Marcus Evans wants promotion, he wants it yesterday and thus Jewell has been pushed into short-termism.

• Paid Members
What is it with football in the West Country? Can't you boys ever get your acts together?

Ask Kenny Jackett.

• Paid Members
:) I know I shouldn't feel for Jackett but he's a good man and a decent manager trapped in a shit situation. Without Henderson, he basically has no cutting edge.

He only brought Henderson on around two minutes before we scored, and that's one player who's pretty much managed to score against us on clicking your fingers.

And Gary Johnson is Skybet's favourite to take the rovers job :laugh:

Interesting article on Buckle's sacking from Bristol Rovers:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

PAUL Buckle's departure from Bristol Rovers had looked increasingly inevitable as recent weeks had ticked by.

The Pirates have been without a League Two win since October and taken only five points from the last 33. And no matter how you try to dress it up, that is relegation form.

Ripples of anti-Buckle feeling among supporters had developed into a veritable tidal wave of hostility, and it was only a matter of time before the board had to act.

In the space of seven short months, the mood around the Memorial Stadium had changed from one of bright optimism to one that was positively toxic

• Awards Moderator

Quick one for the Palace fans/mikey:

I'm going down to the Palace Vs. Cardiff semi-final next Tuesday but whenever I've been to Selhurst in the past I've been on the train or coach. I'm driving down this time as I'll be round London way with work, so can any of you recommend the best, safest and let's be honest, cheapest place to park the car that isn't too far from the ground? I'm not bothered about a bit of a walk but wherever I leave it, I'd rather it was somewhere easy to get out of as I want to get back up the motorway without sitting in traffic for ages.

Cheers in advance.

• Paid Members
Interesting article on Buckle's sacking from Bristol Rovers:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

PAUL Buckle's departure from Bristol Rovers had looked increasingly inevitable as recent weeks had ticked by.

The Pirates have been without a League Two win since October and taken only five points from the last 33. And no matter how you try to dress it up, that is relegation form.

Ripples of anti-Buckle feeling among supporters had developed into a veritable tidal wave of hostility, and it was only a matter of time before the board had to act.

In the space of seven short months, the mood around the Memorial Stadium had changed from one of bright optimism to one that was positively toxic

Quick one for the Palace fans/mikey:

I'm going down to the Palace Vs. Cardiff semi-final next Tuesday but whenever I've been to Selhurst in the past I've been on the train or coach. I'm driving down this time as I'll be round London way with work, so can any of you recommend the best, safest and let's be honest, cheapest place to park the car that isn't too far from the ground? I'm not bothered about a bit of a walk but wherever I leave it, I'd rather it was somewhere easy to get out of as I want to get back up the motorway without sitting in traffic for ages.

Cheers in advance.

OK, stick "Priory Gardens, London SE25" into Google Maps. It's a little cul-de-sac around the corner from the ground that my wife drops me off in. If you get there early enough, there's usually a space or two along there and it's all private residential houses so very safe. Otherwise, a lot of people seem to park along Birchanger Road (Birchanger Road, London, SE25) and walk, which is about 0.8 to 1 mile away.

I'll also ask my colleague as he has some excellent parking spot but I forget where it is. What route are you taking to get home? Heading across London to the M1?

• Awards Moderator
OK, stick "Priory Gardens, London SE25" into Google Maps. It's a little cul-de-sac around the corner from the ground that my wife drops me off in. If you get there early enough, there's usually a space or two along there and it's all private residential houses so very safe. Otherwise, a lot of people seem to park along Birchanger Road (Birchanger Road, London, SE25) and walk, which is about 0.8 to 1 mile away.

I'll also ask my colleague as he has some excellent parking spot but I forget where it is. What route are you taking to get home? Heading across London to the M1?

Thanks, mikey. Much appreciated. I'm trying to arrange my meetings (in Enfield) so they end early to mid-afternoon to give me plenty of time to get over to Croydon quite handy, so I should be able to nab one of the spaces in Priory Gardens. I'll make a note of Birchanger Road, too, as a backup.

I think I will be taking the London/M1/M6 route home and the sat-nav suggested the same route when I checked the other day, but do you know if going that way north would be a bit of a nightmare i.e. the going across London bit? Cheers again.

The other options are park closer to the ground with the potential to get stuck (Sangley Road is an option) or park behind the Goat House Tavern (Sunny Bank, Croydon is the place) or park up the hill towards Upper Norward (Ross road I think).

The latter two have the advantage of being near the a215. I'll go over the route later.

Archived