youtube videos lagging, not playing past a few secs!

MoistVaj

Hi people,

I've got a problem that has begun today, Youtube videos are lagging so bad throughout all times of the day and it's becoming seriously irritating. We had a powercut in the early hours of the morning and when I tried to log on to the internet this morning, Windows said it couldn't connect to the internet. I've rung BT and they took me through several steps over the phone to try and rectify it but it still persists. I'm supposedly getting a call from their higher maintenance team tomorrow but I can't see it helping. I've got the latest versions of flash, java etc and it was working fine last night. Could it be a virus? My playstation was running fine when I checked earlier online at regular speed. Any suggestions what could be up? Many thanks.

Is your computer fine otherwise or is it generally acting slowly as well? I once had a similar problem which turned out to be a file associated with a free trial of McAfee that I had at the time that had decided to use almost half my memory. Once I stopped it, it was completely fine again so might be something similar if it's not internet related.

Browsing seems to be slower than usual, but not significantly. The actual computer doesn't seem to be running too slow, and youtube is doing the same lagging thing on my girlfriends computer now aswell. Am I right in thinking it's either a virus or my ISP?

I went through a stage where my PC just pretty much could not handle streaming any video, from youtube or any other, ahem, video sharing source. Sometimes the sound would play but the image would stall or move one frame to the next with about a 3 second pause inbetween. Playing normal video files (e.g. avi's) were absolutely no problem. There was nothing wrong with my download speed. I'd checked for viruses and even done a complete system reload and still I had the problem.

This happened for about 4-5 months, then one day I decided to open up my PC and inside was absolutely thick with dust. I spent about an hour cleaning it. The fan that covers the copper looking round thing (I think that's the technical term) was a real pain in the arse to clean out. I even vacuumed it. Well it's worked perfect since.

So in short, make sure the inside of your PC is clean.

• Paid Members

I had exactly the same problem about a year ago, with YouTube and Daily Motion. Strangely enough, 'other' streaming video websites seemed to be fine (thankfully). I looked online and couldn't find a conclusive reason why this was happening- but a fair amount of people have had this problem.

Then all of a sudden, a few months ago, they started working again. I did do something fairly big beforehand (not intended to cure that problem, though), can't remember what though. Possibly a load of vital Windows updates. Or perhaps I reinstalled iexplorer? Have you tried it in other browsers such as Firefox or Chrome? Although I think I tried that too and it didn't work either.

Thanks for the replies people.

Yeah I'm using Chrome on my laptop and have tried IE and Firefox, girlfriend has the newest IE on her laptop and it's still doing it. :(

Hopefully BT will come up with the goods tomorrow, I need my weekly fix of NBA action. Oh my browser has become incredibly sluggish the past hour or so now too. I've got a feeling it's something to do with the Home Hub.

• Paid Members

It sounds similar to my problem. If so, definitely not a BT issue- as everything else connected to my home hub was fine. Anything else on the internet was fine and I could still watch Youtube on my phone using wi-fi connection. Could be wrong though, always worth trying BT, but I think it will be something to do with your laptop, even something minor such as a missing plug-in.

It sounds similar to my problem. If so, definitely not a BT issue- as everything else connected to my home hub was fine. Anything else on the internet was fine and I could still watch Youtube on my phone using wi-fi connection. Could be wrong though, always worth trying BT, but I think it will be something to do with your laptop, even something minor such as a missing plug-in.

I've tried watching Youtube on my iPhone and I'm getting the same issue :/ Would a missing plug-in affect my phone and other laptops? I'm no computer expert whatsoever so I have absolutely no idea! I've done a full virus scan and no issues were reported either....

• Paid Members

I've tried watching Youtube on my iPhone and I'm getting the same issue :/ Would a missing plug-in affect my phone and other laptops? I'm no computer expert whatsoever so I have absolutely no idea! I've done a full virus scan and no issues were reported either....

Hmm...definitely not a problem with your hardware then. BT be able to help after all then.

Right click the video and see what it says, Youtube put me up for testing HTML5 video or some guff without telling me and it was fucking up viewing videos.

If that's what it is a little box will say ''About HTML5'' or something like that, click on it and then scroll down the page what opens and click the bit saying you don't want to participate.

Might not be that but worth trying

• 2 weeks later...

Archived