2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Fuck the Old Firm. I've got my first semi-mega journey of the season as I'm off to Dumfries in about 15 minutes. Sitting pretty at the top of the league and playing the worst team in the league in Queen of the South. Well, reportedly anyways. Even Hamilton fans were saying it, while admitting that on the day, they were actually worse. So here's hoping that we can continue our strong start to the season and hand out a bit of a doing.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queen of the South 4-1 Morton

Well, that puts a stop to the optimism for a week at least. Dreadful stuff really from ourselves. Credit to QoS for doing what we did to Ayr last week and punishing us for slackness. Fingers have to be pointed at our keeper, Colin Stewart, who basically handed QoS two goals, and the second one was particularly comical as he allowed a ball to go through his hands, through his legs and into the goal. The defence played their part of course, giving free headers and loads of space to the oncoming attackers. I think the team just didn't show up today and it cost us badly. Still top of the league thanks to a dropping of points from Hamilton.

Like the rest of Hibs really, miserably.

Stranraer 3 East Stirlingshire 1

An even first half with David Mitchell making up for some shoddy Stranraer defending. Steven Noble opened the scoring after running from midfield and firing home from the edge of the box. Andy Stirling equalised with a lovely chip from the edge of the box and then was seemingly booked for a Ravanelli style celebration. Stranraer were a bit more dominant after the break and Stuart McColm made it two with his fifth goal in three matches. Stirling was then sent off for kicking the ball away, two very, very soft yellows but by the letter of the law... Then a minute into stoppage time Michael Moore fired home a third.

Three points and four wins on the spin.

Stranraer on the rise by the looks of things. They seem like one of them teams who have a defence for their level, but when you go up a level, they get exposed in a rather humiliating way. We have much the same thing happening with us. Would explain the goals we put past them earlier in the season. We have conceded four goals the last three times we've played SPL opposition.

It's not even that really. Morton horsed them 8-0 but the following week Queen of the South scraped by 2-1 after being a goal down. Then against Alloa, they dominated the opening period before Kevin Cawley scored a winner, despite Alloa being down to ten.

The defence is probably the weak part of the team. John Kane came in for a second spell and is yet to get anywhere nar his form from the last time. In the middle, there were high hopes for Ryan Kennedy and Frank McKeown but that never really worked out. Kennedy is currently/permanently away back to Shettleston and Mark Durnan has come in from St Johnstone. McKeown likes time on the ball but at times could remember with punting it up the park. Neither of them played against Morton. Then at left back, Stewart Devine was brought in for a bit of experience but has played 1 1/2 games. David MacGregor came in from Morton looked good in his two trialist appearances and added experience. Signed then got injured! Steven Noble has gone back to left back and looked decent.

As much as anything it is a confidence thing!

• Paid Members
No complaints. That is as bad as we've been against Rangers in recent memory. 4-2 is a bad score but we were lucky to not take a real gubbing today.

Still, at least I didn't forecast a Celtic rout of Rangers and look a twat. Always a silver lining, David.

Fair point.

Now that you are back though try not to throw your toys out of your pram like a fucking crybaby. :thumbsup:

No complaints. That is as bad as we've been against Rangers in recent memory. 4-2 is a bad score but we were lucky to not take a real gubbing today.

Still, at least I didn't forecast a Celtic rout of Rangers and look a twat. Always a silver lining, David.

Fair point.

Now that you are back though try not to throw your toys out of your pram like a fucking crybaby. :thumbsup:

Can't promise I won't be a crybaby as I feel like heading to the Erskine Bridge just now, but I take your point on board :thumbsup:

Archived