2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

That's bullshit. If they were using illegally registered players for all that time, every game they played is a 3-0 loss. That would mean they'd have been relegated already and wouldn't have a share in the SPL to transfer.

They're stalling, Kenny. Rangers will be playing in the SPL next season, I guarantee it.

No they won't. They're dead.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
That's bullshit. If they were using illegally registered players for all that time, every game they played is a 3-0 loss. That would mean they'd have been relegated already and wouldn't have a share in the SPL to transfer.

They're stalling, Kenny. Rangers will be playing in the SPL next season, I guarantee it.

No they won't. They're dead.

I think he meant THE Rangers... :)

• Paid Members
You're crazy to think there will be no Rangers in the SPL next season. You can't have that amount of faith in our club's chairmen to do the right thing can you?

In fairness "the right thing" isn't exactly straight forward in this situation.

By all rights Rangers should be relegated to the Third, if not further, but if they go so does the TV deal, which some clubs are dependent on. Is doing the right thing really worth putting other Clubs at risk of going into Administration for something they had no part of?

I will say that it's a ridiculous situation and it basically means that Sky are in charge of our game. Scottish Football needs a drastic overhaul ASAP.

You're crazy to think there will be no Rangers in the SPL next season. You can't have that amount of faith in our club's chairmen to do the right thing can you?

In fairness "the right thing" isn't exactly straight forward in this situation.

By all rights Rangers should be relegated to the Third, if not further, but if they go so does the TV deal, which some clubs are dependent on. Is doing the right thing really worth putting other Clubs at risk of going into Administration for something they had no part of?

I will say that it's a ridiculous situation and it basically means that Sky are in charge of our game. Scottish Football needs a drastic overhaul ASAP.

I wish people would stop painting this as if it's fact.

I'll just copy and paste my post from another forum, to sum up my feelings on the matter.

Being one of a very small minority of Rangers fans, I've kept my nose out of these debates, because saying you're a Rangers fan on internet discussion forums instantly tars you with the same brush as the flute-and-sash brigade.

Anyway, I really hope Rangers get demoted to the Third Division. It's going to avoid a whole load of trouble with other clubs and it might actually make them reduce ticket prices (not likely) making it more accessible for plebs like myself. It would give all 9 other clubs a big payday (10 actually, because it would mean Dundee were admitted into the SPL) and possibly make TV stations more inclined to offer the SFL a TV deal to get Rangers on the telly. What does keeping them in the SPL actually do, apart from leave the Old Firm with the same feeling they've had for many years, that they're above the rest of the clubs in the SPL?

I was also a bit disappointed when Rangers threw the toys out of the pram about the transfer sanctions. I personally thought it would have been very beneficial for the Scottish game, because everyone complains about the Scottish youth system and we're too reliant on foreign players and its destroying our national team. This transfer embargo forced Rangers' hand, and made them have to RELY on their youth system and bring in young, Scottish talent to survive, which in the long run, could have been great for our national team.

I do, however think that Rangers Football Club II: Back In The Habit will worm their way back in and this whole sorry affair will achieve nothing positive for anyone, and I'll return to Firhill with Alex next season.

It's pretty sad to say, but after almost 27 years of following Motherwell I reckon that my interest in Scottish football won't go beyond seeing our two ties in Europe this season. I won't be renewing my season ticket this season, and am pretty much done with the domestic game.

So should we just scrap relegation as well then? fuck if any of these apparently skint teams that need Rangers get relegated then they are surely going out of business as well, what with missing there 3-4 Rangers games a season (3-4 Celtic games as well)

Clubs will have to cut back but if a club can survive no games against the Old Firm in division 1 (with no TV deal), then they should be able to cut costs without Rangers in the league, there will still be a TV deal, it just won't be as much money as they would get with Rangers in the SPL.

Clubs will have to cut back but if a club can survive no games against the Old Firm in division 1 (with no TV deal), then they should be able to cut costs without Rangers in the league, there will still be a TV deal, it just won't be as much money as they would get with Rangers in the SPL.

Couldn't make much sense of paragraph #1, but I agree with this. I have no sympathy for any club who stand to go under if Rangers aren't in the SPL.

Sorry just meant how many teams that have been relegated out of the SPL have went out of business? in division 1 you don't play Rangers (or Celtic) and the team that is relegated adjusts their budget and get on with it, so why can't the SPL teams do that with no Rangers.

Archived