The Truth of the Lie

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Just watched the Truth of the Lie, the Portugese documentary on the McCann case. With the Kate McCann book recently just came out (and hawked all week in the Sun) I was wondering if anyone had seen this doc and there thoughts on it, plus there opinions on the McCann case. I know there was a topic about her but it was a few years ago and the search function failed me. It was a very interesting doc in my view, they did give us a good almost 50/50 insight to the case. The tabs really put a smear on the portugese investigators.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I heard that the book has sold really well and made them over a million quid. I can't understand why anyone would want to read it, it's not like there's a happy ending there. Has anyone on here (apart from steveo2007) bought it?

A million pounds thats not going to change the fact that they left 3 children alone in a hotel room in a forgeign country while they went on the razz across the street.

I know that sounds horrible and the fact that a little girl has been taken (and very possibly killed) from her family, but seriously, at what point was that a good idea.

A million pounds thats not going to change the fact that they left 3 children alone in a hotel room in a forgeign country while they went on the razz across the street.

I know that sounds horrible and the fact that a little girl has been taken (and very possibly killed) from her family, but seriously, at what point was that a good idea.

I agree they are 100% to blame for this they left their kids alone what's worse is the hotel had a baby sitting service but they couldn't be arsed to spend 5 mins arranging it.

Plus you know it's just because they are doctors or whatever they haven't really been looked into or at least been done on leaving kids alone if it was a (say for example) cashier from Tesco's and a Bin Man or 2 unemployed ppl it would of been splashed all over papers just how bad of parents they were and they may of even had their other kids taken off them.

I agree they are 100% to blame for this they left their kids alone what's worse is the hotel had a baby sitting service but they couldn't be arsed to spend 5 mins arranging it.

Plus you know it's just because they are doctors or whatever they haven't really been looked into or at least been done on leaving kids alone if it was a (say for example) cashier from Tesco's and a Bin Man or 2 unemployed ppl it would of been splashed all over papers just how bad of parents they were and they may of even had their other kids taken off them.

I dunno, I'd say the kidnapper has to take at least, 15% of the blame, possibly even more. Maddie's gotta take at least 5% as well, for being sexy, little bitch was asking for it.

I dunno, I'd say the kidnapper has to take at least, 15% of the blame, possibly even more. Maddie's gotta take at least 5% as well, for being sexy, little bitch was asking for it.

TBH that's if there was a kidnapper wasn't there a theory they did something to her themselves.

I have to take issue with this, I think it's been repeated so many times people think it's fact and it's just bollocks.

Obviously, leaving the kids was a bad idea. But, they were on holiday, it all seemed fine and pleasant, they made a stupid decision and lost their daughter. If on investigation it turned out they were consistenly wildly negligent parents they'd have had no more chance of keeping their kids than a binman would.

They've used every bit of publicity they could, and every bit of funding they've got, to try and find their daughter, they're clearly racked with guilt about it and they've paid a higher price than anyone on here could really comprehend for one stupid mistake.

The outpouring of "Fuck em it's their own fault," or "I'm so bored of them, why go on about it? It's their own fault," when it's blatantly obvious they're doing everything they can to try and find her, probably way past the point where they should have moved on.

It's all a bit much really.

TBH that's if there was a kidnapper wasn't there a theory they did something to her themselves.

Well yeah, but it doesn't stack up to close inspection, they've spent far too much on private investigators for that to really fly. And the resulting police work, and searches, really if they'd killed her you'd say the body would probably have turned up. They had a small window of opportunity to get rid of the body, and it assumes their dinner companions have been covering for em all that time so they could get rid of the body that the 2 dr's accidentally killed (unlikely) or that they randomly murdered their daughter, kept the other kids, because she was too noisy?

Really, it's a very shit theory.

I'll always believe they are hiding something there is no way I'll ever believe they kept going back to check on her/them it's even been reported by more than 1 witness they didn't.

And you do not make a mistake like that no matter how safe it seems you never leave a kid alone even for a minute.

What bothers me is since then 100's of other kids have gone missing yet you never hear anything about them and they are just as important

The fact that they were on holiday doesn't excuse the McCanns from their parental responsibilities. The fact remains that they left young children alone in a hotel room with the door propped open, if Maddie had fallen down a flight of stairs and died of brain damage or had wandered into traffic and got hit by a car we'd all be condemning the parents for their astonishing negligence. Why do they deserve a free pass and sympathy just because their daughter was abducted? A terrible thing happened to their daughter and they have nobody to blame fbut themselves, the Police being lazy or whatever is irrelevant because if the parents hadn't put a meal ahead of their children's well being Maddie would never have been abducted in the first place.

See I wouldn't be queing up to give em shit no matter what happened, it was a very stupid mistake, no doubt. And that's proved.

But they lost their fucking daughter, if she'd fallen down stairs, been kidnapped, drank bleach, whatever. How can you not have sympathy for that?

Scottish suns been full of extracts from the book, then two pages on all week been ripping a junkie family who's son died while left alone. Apparently they don't do irony

• Paid Members

This is my main issue with the whole thing. Children get snatched and there is not a lot parents can usually do about it, but going out for a beer and food and leaving 3 children alone in a country you don't know is really stupid. To be a doctor I think you need an IQ of 135 this clearly is not the case here as they choose to have a good time over the saftey of their own children.

They put the kids to bed between 7-7:15 and didn't want to ruin there routine. The child midning service ran from 7:30-11p.m they just thought oh well they will be fine the oldest is four they can look after themselves while we have a beer idiots.

There was a baby sitting service that ran from 7:30p.m till 11 P.M but they put their kids to bed between 7-7:15 and didn't want to ruin their routine

The whole thing is they are well respected people. I am a Carpet fitter and my wife is a nursery nurse. If we went to Portugal and left our kids alone to get hammered and one went missing I don't think we would be shown the same support they have got. You wouldn't leave your kids alone in your house in your own country to go out so why do it on holiday. I maybe could understand if they were in a hotel and the bar was downstairs but this was accross the road. I would never leave my young children to fend for themselves.

Also Kiffy I have been enjoying your post's lately some well thought out arguments with Happ and some other stuff you have been posting has been well readable and enjoyable you don't need to stoop to the paedophile jokes.

I have to take issue with this, I think it's been repeated so many times people think it's fact and it's just bollocks.

Obviously, leaving the kids was a bad idea. But, they were on holiday, it all seemed fine and pleasant, they made a stupid decision and lost their daughter. If on investigation it turned out they were consistenly wildly negligent parents they'd have had no more chance of keeping their kids than a binman would.

They've used every bit of publicity they could, and every bit of funding they've got, to try and find their daughter, they're clearly racked with guilt about it and they've paid a higher price than anyone on here could really comprehend for one stupid mistake.

The outpouring of "Fuck em it's their own fault," or "I'm so bored of them, why go on about it? It's their own fault," when it's blatantly obvious they're doing everything they can to try and find her, probably way past the point where they should have moved on.

It's all a bit much really.

They shouldn't get full on abuse but they are at fault. I cannot get behind they and show support for them as they have done something really wrong. Children can't protect themselves so they look to their parents. In maddie's case her parents had fucked off to the pub and it just annoys me. I don't think they will ever find her 4 years is way to long and it is not like this is the first time a child has just vanishede without any trace. I would hope to see her safely returned to her parents but can never see it happening.

Archived