Sir Martin Sorrell

mickfan

Does Sir Martin Sorrell (CEO of worldwide conglomerate WPP) deal hands on with brand management/advertising/PR with his companies?

I keep reading the man's a marketing god with an estimated wealth of 66 million but the only things he really seems to do are hostile takeovers and predict the market (like that of a 'marketeer' rather than a 'marketer')

Sorry lads, was supposed to post in 'off-topic'. Mods, could you move it please? :thumbsup:

He's a pencil pusher, he's not got a creative bone in his body. He's also a pretty unpleasant piece of work, a naked capitalist of the worst kind.

He's a pencil pusher, he's not got a creative bone in his body. He's also a pretty unpleasant piece of work, a naked capitalist of the worst kind.

Scathing critisism! Has he sacked you at some point mate? I'm currently working toward a qualification in marketing so doing alot of market research. The guys I admire are the more creative types like M&S' Steve Sharp, Peter Fisk & Jim Stengel.

My girlfriend works for WPP and I met Mr Sorrell at a party once. Seemed pleasant enough but on the whole didn't have a clue who his employees were and who were their partners. To his credit though he certainly knows how to put on a good bash. Free bar all night, WONDERFUL food, and even a free taxi home for every attendee, no matter where they lived.

I also have to point out that I love how WPP, one of the biggest advertising firms in the world actually stands for "Wire and Plastic Produ

Seems like we have one or two marketing/advertising types on here. Any advice for a lad making his first tentative steps in the industry? I'm currently doing a NVQ in marketing.

Yes. Prepare for considerable spells of unemployment, followed by the stark revelation that it's a considerably difficult field to enter before preparing for a life in a call-centre.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Seems like we have one or two marketing/advertising types on here. Any advice for a lad making his first tentative steps in the industry? I'm currently doing a NVQ in marketing.

Yes. Prepare for considerable spells of unemployment, followed by the stark revelation that it's a considerably difficult field to enter before preparing for a life in a call-centre.

Ouch.

• Paid Members

I lucked out and got in to the industry through the side entrance. It's extremely tough to get into, and you'll need top top qualifications if you want to get a decent job. If you work hard enough though and keep trying you'll eventually get there.

Very true. I have a degree in marketing, and never really got a job in that field.

Archived