Rough Pubs

Mr Posh

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once got concussed in a pub off Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow once. A shitey wee place called the Cobar that used to let in underagers. I went in their when I was 17, already quite drunk, and said hello to a lovely young man. He proceeded to punch me "upside da head". I blacked out for about a second. Concussions are disgusting. Horrible feeling.

The now gone Green Hat in Upton, West Yorkshire. A small village between Doncaster and Wakefield where I spent my teens. This is just one example of the 'shennanigans' that went on.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive/2...machete_attack/

Fucking hell, been in Upton a few times, it seems such a nice little quiet place on the surface. Mind you the surrounding areas seem alot rougher.

The now gone Green Hat in Upton, West Yorkshire. A small village between Doncaster and Wakefield where I spent my teens. This is just one example of the 'shennanigans' that went on.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive/2...machete_attack/

Fucking hell, been in Upton a few times, it seems such a nice little quiet place on the surface. Mind you the surrounding areas seem alot rougher.

Images deceive mate. An idea of how downhill the place has gone, local buses now don't go to certain areas due to persistent attacks on drivers and smashing of windows during their routes. Not fun.

• Paid Members
You're in Peterborough. The very fact that you are anywhere near that general vicinity doesn't make it the least bit surprising that you've probably had a rough night.

You raise a very fair point.

I tend to find Peterborough's not so bad if you go out in Stamford instead. Now where's ya story?

Corby, Northants had the roughest pubs I have ever been to. Seen some very dodgy ones around Chesterfield and Sheffield though.

Trouble with Corby is half of it thinks its Scottish without ever having gone there!

The Dolphin, Bilton Grange, East Hull. A local villain got murdered outside, a bloke got scalped in the gents! We played pool there one Monday night, there was a mongol who could not handle the tension so he stood face first in a corner, occasionally farting! I made a bad call when reffing a match & the local team took offence to us, We never ran out of the pub but it was a very brisk walk!

I made the mistake of returning on Christmas Day. "The season of good will", My arse! It was horrible for the 5 minutes it took to me to throw a pint down my neck & move on to any other pub in Hull that celebrates Christmas! Total Hell Hole! :(

A bit late, but better late than never..................

I live in a small village just south of Peterborough.

Anyway, the local pub has just reopened after being shut for about 6 months and as this is a small village, the reopening of the pub is fairly big news round our way.

Before I continue with my story I should tell, the surrounding areas of Peterborough are inhabited by some very eccentric/inbread farmer/gypsy type families.

Re-opening night, all is going swimmingly well, in fact we reach chucking out time without so much of a whisper of trouble, it is merely a case of everybody finishing their drinks, putting their coats on and everybody goes home happy………………..

OH NO! We get as far as everybody finishing their drinks, putting their coats on, then events take a bigger swerve than when it turned out Hulk Hogan was the “third man.”

As I mentioned, the surrounding areas of Peterborough is inhabited by some very oddball families.

So as we are leaving, with drinks being finished and coats being on, two brothers from one of these “very eccentric/inbread farmer/gypsy families” I made mention of previously have a falling out, and as you would expect, things get a little heated and words and blows are exchanged. I strongly suspect this isn’t unusual for the many pub-goers that are reading this, and as the golfers would say “this is par for the course.”

So the brother that was defeated by the fists of his sibling now reaches a crossroads, does he go home with his head hung in shame, Or does he come backed better equipped to take on the very man that merely minutes earlier left him laying in a pool of blood?

Oh does he come back better equipped! Better equipped than you dare imagine! Is it a knife? (No, this isn’t London!), is it a baseball bat? (Nope, guess again!) He comes back in a tractor, yes a fucking tractor!

Bearing in mind the “re-opening” was at 13 hundred hours British summer time, and said brother had been “celebrating” the re-opening since “13:01” it is fair to say he was “well on his way.” As locals would know, this particular brother is ever so slightly loopy, so he comes charging at his brother like a bull to a red piece of cloth!

Fortunately, no damage is sustained (else as the late great Gorilla Monsoon would have said, it would have been “goodnight nurse!”

Sibling driving the agriculture vessel then decides to re-engage in some physical combat with the fists………….

And at this point, my mate and I decide to run away each wearing a pair of pants that were not to dissimilar to those worn by Sid at Wrestlemania 13!

And tonight, as it turns out, both bearing black eyes and missing teeth, the two brothers shook hands and brought each other a drink for "making it a decent night!"

Jarvie's Inn and The Anchorage both in Glasgow.

AVOID.

Where abouts is Jarvies Inn?

Maryhill Road, I think. Name sounds familiar.

The Anchorage is on Dumbarton Road right down in Yoker as it's about to turn into Glasgow Road, on the corner with Kelso Street.

Jarvies Inn is literally a short walk further up Kelso Street parallel to the big LIDL, they have an Indian take-away attached to it now but not long before I first moved to Glasgow someone was shot in Jarvies Inn and I think there's been a fair few people stabbed to death in The Anchorage.

Archived