The Undertaker's position in the wrestling world.

Jetta's G-string

I've often wondered how people view The Undertaker. To me he often gets overlooked by the likes of Hogan, Austin, Flair, The Rock etc but the guy has been a top star for 20 years now, and not sure about you guys but whenever I talk to a non-wrestling fan, The Undertaker's name is brought up almost as much as Hogan's etc so I think he's well known to the general public too.

Whats your thoughts?

From a fan's perspective he's there with the best. His name has now become synominous with Wrestlemania and that show in years to come will miss him greatly once he hangs up the boots, maybe even more so than when Stone Cold and Rock hung them up as Undertaker has become so valuable to the whole brand. Outside of the fans, Taker hasn't popped up in films or much media so I guess he's just known as a wrestler by a decent percentage of the people who have vague memories or have heard the name.

There was an Undertaker question on The Chase the other week!

Personally he definately belongs in that top tier of wrestling stars, but for me one thing against him is that he has never been a dominant champion or been The Man carrying the company over any period of time like Austin, Rock, Hogan, Bret, HBK and even HHH have. I know championships mean shit to some people but most of the time the champion is the champion for a reason.

He will definately leave a great legacy when he retires, I for one hope he retires with his Mania record intact.

Undertaker hasn't really done a great deal outside of wrestling in the same way Austin, Rock or Hogan have. People who dabbled in wrestling in the past will be familiar with 'Taker, but he'll never be a pop-culture icon in the same way Hulk Hogan is.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think the fact that Austin/Rock got so much exposure from other things outside of Wrestling is maybe why Taker falls slightly below them in some casual fans eyes. The fact that he's rarely been the type of face that can connect with the audience via a promo the way a face Austin and Rock could (down to the character he played). However there can be no doubt from the hardcore fan base the he is up there alongside them.

The streak could also be the most revered accolade in Wrestling history. We'll always have Title changes, but We'll never have the streak again.

Taker deserves his spot at the top.

EDIT - Beaten by Vito!

I see where you're coming from. He has been one of the greats in the last twenty odd years and is mentioned by non-wrestling fans as he was one of the big names during the boom period of the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era. The WWE go on about legends, such as Austin, The Rock, Flair and Hogan but they do downplay The Undertaker a bit, to be fair though they do say he is legendary and they always big up his Wrestlemania Streak and he gets a good response from fans and so on. For me though it does feel like he is always a step under guys like Austin and The Rock in WWE's eyes, the thing I think is a possibility though is that Austin and The Rock were the two biggest faces during the most popular period of wrestling and in the same way Flair and Hogan were at another popular time. The Undertaker however was the heel during this period and those guys had a human feel to them, in a way that you could imagine them outside of the ring and feel as though they were people you could associate with, The Undertaker though was viewed as a dark character and emphasis was put on his supernatural gothic gimmick and image and wasn't the kind of guy you could imagine going and having a beer with, he wasn't really viewed as a reality based character. I mean all of this for his gimmick during the Attitude Era, when wrestling was in a boom period and it was cool to watch, so I think a lot of people who used to watch remember him in that way. Since then though he has had his biker role which was more reality based and fans now seem to see him as a more reality based character.

I think when he finally calls it a day he will be in the Hall of Fame and will be remembered in the same way as all of those guys though.

Undertaker hasn't really done a great deal outside of wrestling in the same way Austin, Rock or Hogan have. People who dabbled in wrestling in the past will be familiar with 'Taker, but he'll never be a pop-culture icon in the same way Hulk Hogan is.

Do you think that's alot to do with his gimmick though? I'd find it hard to imagine The Undertaker in films or tv.

• Paid Members

I think it's alot to do with it.

Characters like Austin and The Rock can be loosely associated with real people. The guy who wants to fuck his boss up and the guy who is ultra cool and probably gets lots of chicks. The Undertaker is/was a Demonic goth type chap who liked to bury and crucify his opponents.

Obviously easier to do with with Austin/Rock than it was with Taker.

You not seen Suburban Commando? :)

Do you think that's alot to do with his gimmick though? I'd find it hard to imagine The Undertaker in films or tv.

I've always thought that a WWE movie about the life of the Undertaker could be entertaining. Perhaps 'Taker simply has no interest in acting, he's undoubtedly made enough money during his career from wrestling to not need to supplement his income with other jobs, he's a company man through and through and I imagine he'll wrestle for Vince until one of them kicks the bucket.

I've always thought that a WWE movie about the life of the Undertaker could be entertaining. Perhaps 'Taker simply has no interest in acting, he's undoubtedly made enough money during his career from wrestling to not need to supplement his income with other jobs, he's a company man through and through and I imagine he'll wrestle for Vince until one of them kicks the bucket.

Dosn't he also have a Large property portfolio, similar to Sting which rakes in money for him

He only wrestles now for the Love of doing it, I think he isn't seen in the same light within the mainstream as Austin/Rock/Hogan/Cena are as it is hard to branch out doing the gimmick he does.

He can't exactly go on chat shows ETC and Movies he wont do, he is very rarely seen out of character and never on a WWE sponsored event so a movie couldn't be promoted on TV as well.

He is a legend and will be in the HOF first time of asking like Michaels.

What was the Undertaker question on The Chase??

It was along the lines of which wrestler's real name is Mark Calloway. Giant haystacks was one option im sure the other I cant remember.

Anne was the chaser and got it right saying she was a big wrestling fan.

• Paid Members

He belongs in the top tier of wrestlers when it comes to legacy and name value sure. But above that top tier, is an extra "Elite Tier" that housed Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan. Taker is great n'all, but he doesnt come close to those three when it comes to importance, ratings, PPV buyrates, merchandise and overall money generation. Thats not a knock on Taker, those there and just above everyone else.

What was the Undertaker question on The Chase??

It was along the lines of which wrestler's real name is Mark Calloway. Giant haystacks was one option im sure the other I cant remember.

Anne was the chaser and got it right saying she was a big wrestling fan.

I watched the same Chase.

The question was What is Wrester Mark Calloways wrestling name?

A. Huk Hogan B. The Undertaker C. Goldust

Archived