Talksport Wrestle Talk

wolveswrestling

Just found some old audio tapes in the loft, came across me talking on wrestletalk on talksport. It all comes back to me now, i phoned in to say that kane is now sting under a mask, why I thought that i don't know. Unsure of the exact date but reckon it was around summer 01 or 02 after kane had been out a while. Think it was dean ayess who put me in my place saying that unless sting as gained 60lbs and grew 5"inches you are wrong and cut me off.

Anyone else on here ever phone in and at the time it was getting good listening numbers, strange it didn't last long.

I had a text read out by Alex Shane, asking when Scott Steiner will turn up in WWE. He replied that he couldn't possibly imagine him being hired due to having a really bad foot injury. This was summer 02, so obviously I was immensely pleased when he turned up at Survivor Series a few months later, although in Alex's defence, Steiner was injured at the time I asked the question.

• Paid Members

Aah the "Make up artist under the ring for blood" argument that Tommy Boyd was so adamant over was so comical and at the same time infuriating at the time.

He really knew nothing about wrestling at all, but was a great foil for Shane when he eventually levered his way onto the show.

Another highlight was Shane calling up before going out for a match wholly concerned about what ring attire he was going to wear as he'd just split his own putting them on.

Good, honest clean fun times.

• Paid Members

Tommy Boyd and Alex Shane were very good together. Boyd and Shane could have done proper radio together, they were so good at bouncing off each other. I thought it was shite when Boyd left and it turned into a smart arse pissing contest where they'd literally say shit like "I'll go to bed before the Shawn vs HHH match because I dont want to see Michaels embarrass himself" before SummerSlam 2002 and just generally bash everything. There was no kids ringing up and asking questions about what they liked on Raw, which Boyd was brilliant at handling because he was also just a casual viewer who enjoyed watching it. When Boyd left, it was people who rang up to ask Simon Lilsboy why they weren't pushing Jazz and Dean Ayass wishing injury on Triple H.

Used to love listening to this. Every Saturday night without fail. Even went to FWA revival at crystal palace just through listening to the show, I remember they made it sound like chyna and Mick Foley were gonna show up, I was gutted when they didn't, enjoyed the show mind.

I remember when just before revival Alex shane attacked Boyd in the studio, was that just an angle? I assume so but I was just a kid back then and it seemed heated and real to me ha.

Good times

It was. It was part of the, frankly brillaint, fake blood worked shoot. Just goes to show, you can work the supposed "smart fans". I'll never forget when Tommy Boyd said the line "If I see a wrestler backstage with a razor blade. And if hasn't got a can of shaving cream with him, 'll throw him out"

It's great to read this appreciation for Wrestle Talk and Talk Wrestling on TalkSport. I too have really fond memories of the show because like NUFC 4 Life, it was from listening to Tommy Boyd and Alex Shane's weekly repartee that I became sold on going to see Eddie Guerrero, Grandmaster Sexay Brian Christopher, and a very young Doug Williams, Alex Shane, Nikita (Winter), Jodie Fleisch and Jonny Storm perform at Boyd's Revival event at the Crystal Palace Indoor Arena on February 9 2002. It was a decision that changed my life; as I met Alex that day and things kind of got interesting from there...leading to me actually having my own 'Worldwide Round Up' spot on the show and making a couple of live appearances in the studio in autumn 2002 which eventually springboarded the launch of my career as a heel manager with the FWA.

What I find most interesting though is that while Wrestle Talk was on the air, I seem to remember the UKFF absolutely hated the show; it would get ripped to shreds on here on a weekly basis (10 years ago eh, nothing's changed!) So it's great to hear that absence makes the heart grow fonder!

I too loved the whole Boyd-Shane 'blood debate' feud and remember logging on to the TalkSport website on Saturday nights to read the listeners' responses. It was gold. Tommy was and still is a fantastic broadcaster. He did an amazing sell job for Revival and I can still recall his words today. "You need to be there, so you can tell your grandkids in years to come that you were there the day British Wrestling experienced its Revival!" The comments about him being a casual observer and the perfect counterbalance to Alex's more 'smart' approach are dead on. I particularly remember when most of the listeners were slating The Big Show for his workrate, Tommy would disagree and say: "But if a fight kicked off in the car park between all the WWF superstars, who would win? The Big Show!" Also Tommy was a really effective heel performer in his one and only live wrestling appearance at Revival. Dark shades. Big overcoat. All he needed was black leather gloves...

When Tommy was sacked from TalkSport and Alex brought the show back as Talk Wrestling, I agree the show no longer had that strong double act dynamic at its core; but I also have fond memories of some of the more serious, wrestling-fan orientated stuff Alex, Simon Rothstein, Dean Ayass, Elisar Cabrera, Nikita, Ross 'The Boss' Gordon and co used to do; particularly an amazing shoot interview live on air with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts from summer 2002.

Great times. Then the show was cut to make way for 'Champagne and Roses' with Gerald Harper. I wasn't happy.

But to look back, what an achievement it was for Tommy, Alex and everyone associated with the show for there to be a weekly Saturday night prime time two hour national radio programme devoted to professional wrestling. It kind of sums up just how big pro wrestling was during the (albeit dying) days of the Attitude era.

"TalkSport...listen to the Wrestle Talk..."

Greg Lambert

Just found some old audio tapes in the loft, came across me talking on wrestletalk on talksport. It all comes back to me now, i phoned in to say that kane is now sting under a mask, why I thought that i don't know. Unsure of the exact date but reckon it was around summer 01 or 02 after kane had been out a while. Think it was dean ayess who put me in my place saying that unless sting as gained 60lbs and grew 5"inches you are wrong and cut me off.

Anyone else on here ever phone in and at the time it was getting good listening numbers, strange it didn't last long.

Hahahahahahaha, I still remember that clearly, in fact, I was only talking about that very call to someone a couple of weeks ago!

I hope I didn't cause you any lasting psychological damage, I was, after all, being a HEEEEEEEEL :)

Archived