Will there ever be another icon like the Rock, Stone Cold etc.

ClutchedByTheCamel

Was just thinking whilst watching The Rock's return and seeing the build up and reaction when the music hit, even though the likes of Cena get a good reaction it would never be the same as The Rock, so it got me thinking will there ever be another icon that will have the full package of excitement, promos and everything in between?

If so who do you think could be the next Rock or Stone Cold?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was just thinking whilst watching The Rock's return and seeing the build up and reaction when the music hit, even though the likes of Cena get a good reaction it would never be the same as The Rock, so it got me thinking will there ever be another icon that will have the full package of excitement, promos and everything in between?

If so who do you think could be the next Rock or Stone Cold?

I think sooner or later somebody will come along it could take a long time though I don't think there is anybody right now who could do it.

Im sure in the late 80s people used to say there'd never be anyone as big as Hogan. Just over a decade late Rock and Austin came along. Similarly, it's hard to see now how anyone can make a similar impact. That said though, we are a decade past that prime and there really isn't anyone on the scene that looks like they can do it.

Apart from Primo, obviously.

I think it'll happen eventually, but the current WWE cookie-cutter mentality of telling them how to work and having promos scripted makes it very difficult, for any characters to have specific originality and stand out.

• Paid Members

Maybe sometime in the future, but not now. I'd have loved to see Cena or Orton's face when The Rock came out and got a reaction neither of them could ever dream of. Was watching WM17 Rock vs Austin too the other day and the crowd are popping for every single thing they do, whether it's a punch or a taunt or getting in the ring. I don't think we'll ever have that again.

I think it was someone on here that pointed out Rock and Austin were only really at the top of their game for about 4-5 years each, whereas we've had Cena main even for 7-8 years now and he's still not as over as either of them.

• Paid Members

It really depends if Vince still has luck on his side. A large part of the late 90s success was down to lucky breaks Vince never planned, unlike the 80s. I feel Vince is so out of touch with pop culture that he doesn't get the audience he's after (in fact he scared a big chunk off). It can happen, wrestling just needs to look at itself and see what it can do better. The lack of evolution (no not them) since 2000 is scary, when you consider the jump from 1990 to 2000.

Maybe sometime in the future, but not now. I'd have loved to see Cena or Orton's face when The Rock came out and got a reaction neither of them could ever dream of. Was watching WM17 Rock vs Austin too the other day and the crowd are popping for every single thing they do, whether it's a punch or a taunt or getting in the ring. I don't think we'll ever have that again.

I think it was someone on here that pointed out Rock and Austin were only really at the top of their game for about 4-5 years each, whereas we've had Cena main even for 7-8 years now and he's still not as over as either of them.

Royal Rumble 2008 was pretty mega, no?

• Paid Members
It really depends if Vince still has luck on his side. A large part of the late 90s success was down to lucky breaks Vince never planned, unlike the 80s. I feel Vince is so out of touch with pop culture that he doesn't get the audience he's after (in fact he scared a big chunk off). It can happen, wrestling just needs to look at itself and see what it can do better. The lack of evolution (no not them) since 2000 is scary, when you consider the jump from 1990 to 2000.

Royal Rumble 2008 was pretty mega, no?

Big pop, not as big as Rock's. The fact half of it turned to booing seconds later when they realised what it was doesn't help either.

• Paid Members

Which is why he needs some proper competition, if only so they can be pop culturally aware and Vince can copy them.

Miz for me has all the tools to become the next Rock/Austin. I think he needs another years or so of being the top line heel that he is right now and I think a face turn somewhere around this time next year could send him into the highest echelons of the WWE.

the late 90's was the time period of the anti hero thoug. you had eminem making big waves, blink 182, and limp bizkit. This transferred into wrestling in the rock, dx and stone cold being anti hero's. Now what sort of era is the music stars in? you get club friendly anthems. Dizzee rascal aint really hero or anti hero. Rihanna is the only one who has an identifiable image and thats kind of an evil one ala jeff hardy in tna. anyone got any idea's?

I think it'll happen eventually, but the current WWE cookie-cutter mentality of telling them how to work and having promos scripted makes it very difficult, for any characters to have specific originality and stand out.

Thats why imo we wont ever see another Hogan/Austin/Rock, these new guys are not allowed to express themselves and some of them probably couldnt cut a promo without a script, sometimes I feel like these guys dont even believe their own lines.

I was listening to this podcast done by former WWE creative staff and even they say Vince is far out of touch with pop culture its unreal, they say he thinks "There's somethings about Mary" is still the movie everybody is going on about, lol thats where Vince's head is.

You're right again in that wrestling has not changed much since 2001-2010, not the wrestlers even but the format of the show, if WWE was anything but wrestling and a proper TV show like they like to plug all the time, it would have been canceled along time ago.

Yes the attitude era was not in his plans at all, shit just fell into place and he ran with it, if not for ECW or WCW, we would probably still have those cartoon characters.

You can see what happens when they force things trying to turn Orton into Austin for example, just comes off lame to me, let the guy be himself.

In terms of who WWE could turn into major star in the same way they did with Austin, one man springs to mind, Robert Rude. He really does have it all.

He is good, I like TNA's younger roster more than WWE's and he is certainly one that I like, I dunno he reminds me of oldschool wrestlers from the 80s/90s, not sure if he could be as big as the Rock etc (reminds me more of TripleH tbh), but he could be a bigger star for sure.

The reasons there wont be a star like The Rock again is because the WWE Machine will not allow anyone to get bigger than the machine itself, the mintue they shows signs of that, they either get put in check or get their legs cut off, I remember when everyone was saying Mr Anderson was going to be the next big crossover star, and well you saw what happened there, would be funny if the reverse of what Bischoff did with stone cold happens To Vince in letting Anderson go, if their is going to be a break out megastar its probably going to be in TNA and not WWE for the reasons I said, of course TNA's problem is nobody watches it, or not enough people, so then thats no good either.

the late 90's was the time period of the anti hero thoug. you had eminem making big waves, blink 182, and limp bizkit. This transferred into wrestling in the rock, dx and stone cold being anti hero's. Now what sort of era is the music stars in? you get club friendly anthems. Dizzee rascal aint really hero or anti hero. Rihanna is the only one who has an identifiable image and thats kind of an evil one ala jeff hardy in tna. anyone got any idea's?

Blink 182 are anti-hero thugs?

And Rhianna has an evil image?

Isn't she the one singing "whats my name?" because Chris Brown smacked her around?

Archived