Job Hunting / Careers Advice

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

I've never been out of work since I was 16, I've worked the same 2 jobs for most of that time and have never needed to visit a job centre. However, there's a very good chance my day job could go tits up at any moment and even if it doesn't I really don't want to stay there, for various reasons.

I've been looking in the paper and on jobs website and getting nowhere. First problem is that I have no useful qualifications, although I would think the right position would take my experience into account. Next problem is I have no idea what a lot or these jobs even are. It's as though they've given something a fancy job title that just makes no sense to me.

On the other hand I'm not against picking up some qualifications (although I don't know how, I have little free time) and going for something more specific, but I don't know what or how to go about it.

I'm sure there's people I can talk to who are trained to give advice on this sort of stuff, but having never been in this position I'm clueless! When I was at school they had someone who took your interests and your skills etc and told you to be a policeman. Is there someone like that in the adult world?

• Paid Members
Are you thinking of switching careers? Or wanting guidance to get another job in the career path you're currently on?

Either, I really just wanna get out of where I'm working, if it doesn't go bust first! I dont mind the actual work I do and would be happy to do similar elsewhere. Although I'd need to bring myself up to speed with Excel as we use works where I am. That said, if I could think of what I'd like to do I'd be interested in going for a proper career.

I'd recommned having a look at s CV building website first (Assuming you haven't got one already}

Get your CV on Monster or Total Jobs. I've had a few tidy job offers come up so far.

Can't hurt.

The only concern I have with that is that people at my current job regularly check those sites and I'd hate them to come across my CV

• Paid Members
I'd recommned having a look at s CV building website first (Assuming you haven't got one already}

Get your CV on Monster or Total Jobs. I've had a few tidy job offers come up so far.

Can't hurt.

The only concern I have with that is that people at my current job regularly check those sites and I'd hate them to come across my CV

Thats understandable. But you can make your CV private. The good thing about those tyoes of sites is that you get constant emails about jobs matching your criteria. As your CV is saved onto the site, you can throw out applications for any jobs as they come through.

• Paid Members
I dont know what you do at the moment mate, but have you thought about possibly doing some call centre work until you find something that you really want to do.

They may not be the best of jobs, but its regular steady money in the mean time.

I did call centre work when I started with the company. To say I didn't take to it would be an understatement. I found it so soul destroying, it took me 3 years to get out of it. Right now my work is admin based, creating sales reports and a variety of other things.

Can't hurt.

Thats understandable. But you can make your CV private. The good thing about those tyoes of sites is that you get constant emails about jobs matching your criteria. As your CV is saved onto the site, you can throw out applications for any jobs as they come through.

I'll look into that further. Thing with my CV is that everyone knows me so well it'd be instantly recognisable. I need to work on one though.

I've been in a few part time temp jobs since graduating from uni last year, the thing is no matter whether you have a degree or any qualifications or not it's hard finding work now. I read somewhere that only one in four graduates are employed now and most aren't even in the line of work their degree is in.

I was told the best thing to do is actively go to the Job Centre and arrange interviews with personal advisers and so on. Last week I had an interview for about an hour with a personal advisor who printed off a job vacancy which suited my experience and told me to apply for it. He also had a look at my CV and said a lot of people are unaware of how to write CVs and he booked me into a CV writing class there next Monday to help me make changes to my CV to make it better. I think if you do things like this and make an effort in looking for jobs that suit you instead of applying for anything (as if you apply for anything you might get a job interview and feel stupid when they realise you haven't a clue about the basic things you should in that role), one example being the personal advisor telling me that I shouldn't really apply for cleaner jobs, he said a lot of people apply thinking it's easy but you have to have a lot of knowledge on certain chemicals and cleaning machines with these types of jobs. I've been trying to apply for jobs that fit in with my degree (which is the most difficult as I need to try to build up some experience in that field first and all of these roles end up going to people who have been working in that industry for a few years and those of us who have just graduated are left without a chance to even get experience to work our way up, luckily though it was a joint degree and the English Literature half helps with any job really), my experience in a part time catering job and my experience in a Christmas temp sales assistant job.

The best thing to do would be for you to just go to a job centre. There's usually a little desk with someone on it just as you walk through the door and you could just explain to him what you've said in this thread. He'd probably have a better idea of how you could go about things and might be able to arrange a meeting with a personal advisor who might be able to book you in for some various training classes that you'd fancy doing.

You shouldn't be worried about people at your current job seeing your CV on a job website. There are thousands of CVs on those sites so there's every chance they wouldn't see it amongst all the others. Even if they did see it, realise it was yours, and then decide to ask you about it, you just say something along the lines of "I just put it there to see what else is out there". Which is the truth. Unless you work with a pack of completely unreasonable bastards there's not really anything they can say to that, because it's not like you're doing anything wrong in any way.

• Paid Members
You shouldn't be worried about people at your current job seeing your CV on a job website. There are thousands of CVs on those sites so there's every chance they wouldn't see it amongst all the others. Even if they did see it, realise it was yours, and then decide to ask you about it, you just say something along the lines of "I just put it there to see what else is out there". Which is the truth. Unless you work with a pack of completely unreasonable bastards there's not really anything they can say to that, because it's not like you're doing anything wrong in any way.

Well I work for someone who's son is a shit sturring son of a bitch and would definately take the opportunity to make it a problem.

To be honest, the idea of getting another job scares the shit out of me having not needed look for one on so long.

Depends. If I wanted to leave my own job, stick my CV with a agency... I know the first thing they will do is forward it to my company as they are always looking for people JUST LIKE ME! :S

If your going to give your CV to a agency, you have to make it CRYSTAL FUCKING CLEAR that they are ONLY to forward your cv in the event you agree for them to do so. Sadly not everyone i will do this.

Well I work for someone who's son is a shit sturring son of a bitch and would definately take the opportunity to make it a problem.

To be honest, the idea of getting another job scares the shit out of me having not needed look for one on so long.

Even if he does try to make it a problem, there's nothing wrong with looking for another job and your boss will know this. What do you think your current employers are going to do? Tell you off just for looking around? If you're that worried about it, go and speak to your boss and tell them you're looking at what other jobs are out there before you put your CV online.

I changed jobs a few months ago after spending 12 years in the same (or very similar) jobs - bar and venue management, DJing, that sort of thing. I'd had enough but was shitting myself about trying something new because all I'd ever done was work in bars. I stuck with it for over a year until I realised if I didn't man up and do something about it then I'd stay there forever and end up feeling totally miserable, so I went to the job centre and applied for a few things that I liked the look of. I ended up getting a job as a support worker, and the last 3 months have been more fun than the last 3 years at my old job.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop thinking/worrying about it and take some sort of action, otherwise you'll never do it. Go on!

Archived