Mr Perfect in WWE 2002

RJ Impact

Was watching Vintage Collection the other day which had Edge vs Mr Perfect from early march 02, it got me thinking that did wwe waste Mr P when he returned?

He came back in the Rumble was in good shape and had a decent role in it, doing his finish on austin, trips etc and made it to the final 3 or 4 I think?

Then after the rumble......not much really, which was a shame cos they had a good mix in the mid card that he could of worked with.

He could have had good feuds either heel/face with Edge, RVD, Booker, Jeff Hardy, Angle, Beniot who were all I.C/Euro Title level at that point.

The match with Edge finished with a dq so it could of been built to mania instead of Edge vs Booker T fighting over a shampoo ad or add Perfect to it?!

After the brand split there was plenty of mileage in him as a character, who knows maybe a world title feud/win wouldnt have been outta place at some point.

Maybe some will say he was shit then or too old but worth a thought.

From what I recall they did have plans for him, but he was released after the plane ride from hell after he and Brock Lesnar got into a wrestling match midair on a flight. They weren't going to release Brock Lesnar, so Perfect got cut to be made an example.

He wasn't shit, or too old, but given the lifepsan after his release and cause for his death, I'm pretty sure he'd have failed a drug test anyway.

Maybe some will say he was shit then or too old but worth a thought.

He was never shit, or even at that stage too old. It sounds a bit smarky, but he really did have good matches when they put him on Heat.

As a World Title contender? Probably not, but there should always a spot for a veteran of such class like Mr Perfect and its a shame he didn't get to do more.

He looked like a huge star in his re-debut in the Rumble, and at that point could legitimately have been thrown into the main event or near enough, IMO.

However, I suspect his lack of push subsequently was more down to his drug problems and attitude - as anyone who saw his brief appearance in TNA can attest.

I loved his 2002 return at the Royal Rumble and it still holds up as one of my favourite Royal Rumble moments. He looked to be in great shape and he had a great performance in the match itself.

With the way he was looking and performing following his return as well as the quality of the roster at the time and the potential match and feud opportunities this created his return had potential to be much more than it ended up being.

Between Post Invasion 2001-2003 the WWE seemed to waste many opportunities and Curt Hennig

• Paid Members

Bit marky, but I imagine it somewhat like this for a brief tv run before settling down into semi-retirement or asked politely if he fancied being an agent.

I would have loved to seen him beat a load of minor types - Scotty, Spike, Hurricane, Maven - in similar fashion, where he is somewhat ran ragged near the end by the young quick babyface but ensnares them in the Perfect-Plex for the win. In a subtle understated way, rebuild the mystique of the move and the "unbreakable" aura it once had. Maybe even some slightly pushed but expendable guys like Goldust, Hardcore or DDP could find the Perfect Plex inescapable. Obviously Perfect loses when he faces someone important - Rock, Austin, Trips, Edge etc - but they never end up in the Perfect Plex so it stays protected.

Then naturally capitalize upon the move being such a match killer by having some up and comer they want to push to the moon by having him kick out of it, and go on to win the match. A newly arrived John Cena or Randy Orton perhaps.

Archived