FSM Thread

Vipes

I finally got round to downloading the last issue to my IPad last week and have to say it is much better than I remember it being the last time I bought the magazine a few years back. I particularly enjoyed the somewhat historical articles about the Hall of Fame and Bad News Brown as well as the very interesting piece about whether it is the fans which dictate what the promotions do or vice versa.

I did notice the standard of writing has improved (in that it seems less like it's written by a teenager) althought there were still some little mistakes here and there. The photography presented in the magazine is also of a much higher standard than it was previously.

The upcoming changes seem very positive and I will download this month's magazine later in the week.

Keep up the good work Brian. FSM is still far from the perfect wrestling magazine, but it has improved greatly and you obviously seem dedicated to making it as good as it can be.

Can somebody expand on what the Austin gig is? He hasn't mentioned anything on Twitter? It just seems odd he would do this?

It's a bi-monthly column, just as we've previously had monthly columns by Bill Apter and Lance Storm.

I must say, if it's as cut and dry as that, well done. Something pretty surreal about that.

New look and new columnists! The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

24e7rzq.jpg

In this month's edition, Issue 79, FSM has features on:

- WrestleMania weekend from a live perspective

- The stars of Florida Championship Wrestling who could make a difference in WWE

- How the sex and drugs scandals of 1992 hurt the World Wrestling Federation

- James Storm, and how he may still be the man to give TNA its own identity

- FSM gets the inside scoop on Nigel McGuinness

Edited by Brian Elliott

The magazine layout looks FANTASTIC, well done. Very professional, and a lot better than the previous scattered layouts of FSM.

My only gripe with the magazine, and don't shoot me for saying this as its just my opinion, but reading the magazine doesn't feel like I am reading an independent, unbiased work. Somebody else said it a while ago in that the magazine reads like it should have a classified section. Its unfortunate, because it really puts me off the magazine. It is very clear to see, at the absolute minimum that there are others with a sphere of influence over the magazine. Alex Shane for instance, will always have his latest endeavours plugged even when they don't deserved to be plugged. I don't mind Alex Shane, I like his passion for wanting to succeed and hope he finds stability one day as he has been looking for it for over a decade, but Jesus Christ, the magazine reads like he either throws a few quid FSM's way every month or he sucks you off (Brian) at a bus stop. By covering certain things that the general public couldn't give a shit about, you lose credibility.

Thanks for the kind words about the new look.

Regarding your other points, I think you've made your opinion pretty clear, so there's no point in me offering a long reply trying to tell you what the reality is. I'll leave it at this: I speak to many UK promoters/workers every month regarding the various goings-on in the business, and from that I decipher which shows and stories are worth bringing to our readers' attention. I think the number of different UK promotions we've highlighted in the last eight months in particular really shows that we're dedicated to bringing people the best of British wrestling every month.

Your welcome for the kind words as your hard work clearly deserves it, I really was impressed with the layout.

Please do feel free to write in length, perhaps I have it totally wrong. As I said, its just how it appears and it is very off putting. For instance, plugging this WrestleCast TV, which is a blatant vehicle to plug Alex's other money needing ventures. I wouldn't care if it was just an ad in the mag, but it was an editorial offering a review of "the best episode yet." I doubt we'll ever see a review along the lines of "very disappointing this time, offered nothing." It's always going to be fake commentary, and as a reader, I don't want to be insulted or played like a mug by reading such.

I wasn't gunning for promotions as such, but now you mention it, the magazine is available to thousands of people. The British wrestling shows are attracted by a few hundred at best. What does that tell you. It just seems you are totally going against the grain by trying to give so much coverage, and I think that too puts people off your magazine.

I wouldn't care if it was just an ad in the mag, but it was an editorial offering a review of "the best episode yet."

I don't know what to tell you; I thought it was the best episode yet, so that's what we printed.

I wasn't gunning for promotions as such, but now you mention it, the magazine is available to thousands of people. The British wrestling shows are attracted by a few hundred at best. What does that tell you. It just seems you are totally going against the grain by trying to give so much coverage, and I think that too puts people off your magazine.

We usually give four pages out of 84 to the UK promotions, and we do it to show people that there is great British wrestling out there. The British scene means a lot to us, and I think that's a good thing for the business overall.

I wouldn't care if it was just an ad in the mag, but it was an editorial offering a review of "the best episode yet."

I don't know what to tell you; I thought it was the best episode yet, so that's what we printed.

But you didn't quote the second part of my comment. Its clear there is a relationship between you and certain people, and I doubt any of us will see criticisms of said product. It is going to be gleeful praise month after month and as a reader, I don't want to be insulted or played like a mug by reading such.

EDIT: And to give an example, the audio is terrible in places. Why is this ignored if you are unbiased? You are a mainstream magazine offering a review of a video product.

Edited by CiderBag

But you didn't quote the second part of my comment. Its clear there is a relationship between you and certain people, and I doubt any of us will see criticisms of said product. It is going to be gleeful praise month after month and as a reader, I don't want to be insulted or played like a mug by reading such.

EDIT: And to give an example, the audio is terrible in places. Why is this ignored if you are unbiased? You are a mainstream magazine offering a review of a video product.

I like FSM and I am an Alex Shane fan but I think that is a very valid point. I'd say its fair for Alex to get a decent amount of coverage in the mag as he's been around a while and its a safe bet his ventures are thought out properly with back up plans incase things go tits up unlike certain other promoters out there. To take a risk featuring an unknown promoter or a Danny Rodd so heavily could end up damaging BritWres reputation if a casual fan picks up the magazine because he sees Triple H on the front, reads an article on Steven Gauntleys latest cluster fuck and decides to go along and ends up out of pocket. While there are other promoters out there who have consistantly put on a high standard of shows with minimum balls ups Alex does always seem to be the one who has something new on the go all the time. However not everything Alex touches is pure gold so it would be nice every once in a while to hear the bad as well as the good because I've also had the impression that Alex has a bit more involvement than a former columist and regular ad buyer.

This really is my last word on this, as it's a debate where I don't think anything will change the opinion you've already formed. :)

FSM has relationships with literally hundreds of different people and promotions; We have a relationship with Steve Austin. We have a relationship with Jim Cornette. We have a relationship with people in TNA. We have a relationship with people in WWE. You'd be crazy to think that we don't talk to people within the industry every single day; you couldn't put together a magazine without doing that.

But that doesn't mean that we only say good things about all of the above; depending on the importance of the subject at hand, if something sucks we'll either say it sucks, or we'll pass it over so that we can use the space to talk about another promotion or performer that doesn't suck.

If we say a lot of positive things about wrestling, it's because we think there's more great, easily-available wrestling out there than ever before. It's a great time to be a wrestling fan.

Edited by Brian Elliott

Brian, with all due respect, please don't try and use the pre text that I am ignorant or close minded as a means for not entering into this conversation. I stated I may be wrong, and presented you with an opportunity to clear up my potential misgivings.

If you aren't replying any longer, I wont be a child and add any further issue or new ground. However if you choose to revisit this subject, please note your last reply whilst lengthy, completely ignored my valid points in a head on manner. If you wanted to breach this again, perhaps that would be a good starting point. I have no gripe with you, and like I say, I think you have made vast improvements to the magazine, but its hard to ignore the points in case.