RIP Gary Mason

Snake Plissken

• Paid Members
Former British boxing champion Gary Mason has died in a cycling accident.

Mason was on his bike in Sandy Lane South, Wallington, south London, on Thursday morning when he was involved in a collision with a van. The 48-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Metropolitan Police, who are yet to confirm the name of the victim, said the van driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

The 43-year-old, who was driving a white Vauxhall "combi" van, had stopped at the scene. He was taken to a south London police station and bailed pending further inquiries.

A post-mortem examination will be held at St Helier Hospital mortuary and an inquest will be opened at Croydon Coroner's Court.

Any witnesses are urged to call officers from the road death investigation unit at Hampton on 020 8941 9011.

Mason was known as a tough, hard-hitting fighter with a strong chin.

The heavyweight boxer, born in Jamaica, fought 38 professional bouts between 1984 to 1994. He won 37, with his only loss being to future world champion Lennox Lewis at Wembley Arena in 1991.

Mason was British champion from January 1989 to March 1991 when he lost to Lewis.

Mason led a varied life after his boxing career, with a spell as a pundit for Sky and a brief venture with rugby league side London Broncos.

• Paid Members

super sad story :(

I always remember when Gary Mason was boxing, i was young then so i don't remember any specific fights but i remember the scene he was involved in. I also remember him being on celebrity Gladiator's and sweating prefusely, stupid the things you remember.

I'm gonna try getting hold of some old Gary fights.

RIP.

One of the many reasons I no longer want to own a byccyle.

Man i used to love cycling back in the day now there is too many cars on the road a few years ago I quit cycling for good. BUT came out of retirement in 2008 for one time only.

Gary Mason dies yet you live.

Archived