Yorkshire Housing

ajmcstyles

Heres a little story...

Well in recent weeks there have been reports of houses owned by Yorkshire Housing have been several reports bout pipes bursting. Luckily we are not one BUT our next door has, her house has been flooded due to the pipe. Worst of all shes abroad for a few weeks from xmas till mid January so we was meant to look after the house. But she didnt leave us a key.

Everything was fine until the 28th Dec watching WWE Raw live, and noticed carpets were flooded. It was next doors pipe burst in the loft and leaked into our house, got it sorted, all the etc... and got a key to clean it out. Some of our possessions all was fine to our house dried everything and her house was soaked but no longer flooding UNTIL today.

Two gents came round to look at the pipe today said they fixed it turned the water back and (I dont know why they did) and fucked off. Few hours later I saw a heavy patch of water in our kitchen just in case went next door BOOM re-flooded house. Swept all the water outside in next doors house. hopefully its ok for now. To add the two cowboys who came round eariler came round just a few minutes ago to look at the pipe apparently there were two other leaks in the pipe they didnt see eariler.

Obviously next door isnt and wont be safe to live in for a while the wood work/plaster etc... will need to come out and and it will might effect our house too.

Question is to you lot who know matters of this situation we are requesting a move with Yorkshire Housing to a new house in the area. The flood has ruinned out carpet, we've had to chuck out DVD's VHS's and family stuff all due to water damage. Are we within our right to Sue Yorkshire Housing due to there negligence and cant be bothered attitude we have phoned several times trying to get help from them yet nothing, we had to phone the police to get into the house the first time Yorkshire Housing did nothing and wouldnt make an attempt to phone the police for permission to go in next door's house. Your insurance will NOT let us claim due to it being next door that flooded and not ours. What do you guys think?

Get a free 30 mins with a solicitor and make sure you have time dates and all that jazz documented, take lots of pictures. Make sure next door requests repair reports etc etc

And then see how the land lies

We are insured with Halifax but the fuckers wont do anything. I also forgot to add that all the phone bills, electric and heating bills too which we had to make out due to Yorkshire Housing incompetence.

We have had the heating on NON stop drying out the carpets too for about 5 days straight, well central heating, normal heaters which aint cheap at all talking alot for a heater per hour, humidifier. Fucking bollocks all this.

• Paid Members
Depends if he has insurance. I don't have insurance. Doesn't change the fact that if it happened because of someone elses cock up you're entitled to be compensated for it.

He said he did in the first post. At least its how I'd read it.

But yeah, complain against your insurance because unless you're not telling us something then its pretty clear cut.

Not sure how it works with housing associations. However I own a few properties that I rent out, and the contract states that i'm renting out 'Unfurnished' properties. This means that the tenant has to cover themselves. So if one of my properties flooded, my insurance would be required to cover all building damage, pipe repairs etc but as far as furniture is concerned, they don't cover that. And i'm not required by law to cover the tenants furniture, thats what their insurance is for.

• Paid Members

Might be a loophole on this one though Ravenhill. What with the fact that the second flooding wasn't due to an accident, but due to negligence in the people who came to do the repairs/turn the water on. Which means unless they work for the housing association, it's their company that will have to bite the bullet on that one.

Might be a loophole on this one though Ravenhill. What with the fact that the second flooding wasn't due to an accident, but due to negligence in the people who came to do the repairs/turn the water on. Which means unless they work for the housing association, it's their company that will have to bite the bullet on that one.

Thats a good point, in that case it should be the company who covers the costs.

• Paid Members

I'd say the neighbor is a plank for not leaving any heating on during winter if they're away for it (sort of how I had no sympathy for my landlord's parents when they were here last year and their house in America got flooded as they hadn't left any heating on at all, and somehow seemed surprised the pipes burst). But the first time was the neighbor's fault. The second time was quite definitely the fault of the workers who came to fix it and failed miserably to do so. They should have turned the water on after fixing it and checked for any other possible leaks before leaving.

Also to add even more on top of this. We had a professional plumber come round today, hes been following up the jobs the cowboys did the other day. These cowboys used some really bad copper apparently, and the wrong sized copper pipe too. I have both bits of the pipe that burst. The plumber also mentioned that these houses are extremely fragile and if heat isnt got to my next door neighbours asap due to the walls being so thin it can easily get into our walls.

Archived